2015-16 Ice Dance and 2016-17 SD Requirements released | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Ice Dance and 2016-17 SD Requirements released

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: Perhaps it means that the teams that were :drama: supposed to do well in the SD didn't do well in the PD, and it dragged their score down.

It is like getting rid of one lift in the FS last year,and getting rid of the SD no touch step this next season, and adding 2 sets of twizzles instead of one...look who benefits from these changes and you can tell who is running things...and who isn't.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
I wonder how they will deal with the TES minimums with this change. The base value for all level 4 elements in the SD for 2015/16 will be 29.7. This season it was 31.7. If the technical minimums are kept the same, it will be much harder to achieve them, and it's already a challenging score to get for the SD (29 TES). 12 teams did not manage it at Worlds, and Sinitsina/Katsalapov, a team that was expected to be promising, never got near it. With the lower base value, the number of teams able to get that 29+ TES mark will be reduced even further. However, if the minimum score required is adjusted down to reflect the lower BV & thus lower potential TES, suddenly teams will have scores from this season that weren't good enough for Worlds this year, but are good enough to let them in next year. Unless they adopt a rule that reflects the variation, say 29 TES if achieved in 2014/15, 27 TES if achieved in 2015/16.

bramweld

Record Breaker
:slink: Perhaps it means that the teams that were :drama: supposed to do well in the SD didn't do well in the PD, and it dragged their score down.

It is like getting rid of one lift in the FS last year,and getting rid of the SD no touch step this next season, and adding 2 sets of twizzles instead of one...look who benefits from these changes and you can tell who is running things...and who isn't.

Sit back my dear and watch it all backfire.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:biggrin: It did the most recent time such a blatant play was made in dance in 2010.

And it is arguable that 2015 turned out the way TPTB wanted...well almost.

Otoh, it worked very well in pairs in 2006 and 2014.

As long as everyone knows the rules, everyone has a chance to win.

bramweld

Record Breaker
:biggrin: It did the most recent time such a blatant play was made in dance in 2010.

And it is arguable that 2015 turned out the way TPTB wanted...well almost.

Otoh, it worked very well in pairs in 2006 and 2014.

As long as everyone knows the rules, everyone has a chance to win.

Precisely :biggrin:

caitie

Medalist
It's actually a trend.

2010/11 - 6.0 + 8.0 = 14.0 base value (Golden Waltz)
2011/12 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Rumba)
2012/13 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Yankee Polka)
2013/14 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Finnstep)
2014/15 - 6.0 + 6.0 = 12.0 base value (Paso Doble)
2015/16 - 5.0 + 5.0 = 10.0 base value (Ravensburger Waltz)

The step sequence element is worth slightly more (8.0 --> 8.60) this quad.
Twizzles are worth slightly more (6.0 --> 6.60) this quad.
The SD lift is worth slightly more (4.0 --> 4.50) this quad.

I'm not sure why the ISU has decided to begin dropping the worth of the pattern dances so much all of the sudden. Could they be moving towards phasing it out, perhaps? 14 points to 10 points in two seasons is a pretty big decrease, IMO.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, the second set of twizzles isn't required though? It can be a lift, spin, or twizzles and they are all worth the same base value and GOE.

The step sequence restrictions are very boring, though.

MorganaPendragon

Spectator
Country
Canada
I for one am very pleased to see that the choreo lifts/spins/twizzles will have the same base value next season.
It really wasn't fair to have the spins worth more than the lifts this year. Hopefully this will lead to more creativity in the overall choreography instead of just making the skaters scramble for points.

KKonas

Medalist
It's actually a trend.

2010/11 - 6.0 + 8.0 = 14.0 base value (Golden Waltz)
2011/12 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Rumba)
2012/13 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Yankee Polka)
2013/14 - 7.0 + 7.0 = 14.0 base value (Finnstep)
2014/15 - 6.0 + 6.0 = 12.0 base value (Paso Doble)
2015/16 - 5.0 + 5.0 = 10.0 base value (Ravensburger Waltz)

The step sequence element is worth slightly more (8.0 --> 8.60) this quad.
Twizzles are worth slightly more (6.0 --> 6.60) this quad.
The SD lift is worth slightly more (4.0 --> 4.50) this quad.

I'm not sure why the ISU has decided to begin dropping the worth of the pattern dances so much all of the sudden. Could they be moving towards phasing it out, perhaps? 14 points to 10 points in two seasons is a pretty big decrease, IMO.

The Golden Waltz is the most difficult and it's downhill from there. The IDTC is likely to eliminate the pattern dance altogether and create a new type of pattern to use for the SD. This idea was discussed a couple of years ago but no decision was made at the time.

noidont

Final Flight
It is really weird where they want to take ice dance to. In my opinion the 07-10 quad structure were the best to watch. It was probably the most demanding quad technically. One more program, more lifts etc., but everyone managed fine. This season with partial pattern sequence and one less lift plus a choreo spin/lift choice all the dances look notably watered down. In FD each team is only allowed to do one kind of lift once and many are level 4 but look too easy. There will never be an I/K swan lake kind of program again. While P/C's Mozart is a great program otherwise, their lifts are not very strong.

caitie

Medalist
The IDTC is likely to eliminate the pattern dance altogether and create a new type of pattern to use for the SD. This idea was discussed a couple of years ago but no decision was made at the time.

It almost feels like maybe this partial step sequence in hold + 10 second stop beforehand is a test run like the creative steps part of the paso last season -- they can require certain turns/steps/movements to use as keypoints, assign a few possible rhythms, and do away with the compulsory patterns altogether. 10.0 isn't that much more than 8.60. Maybe they'll throw out the pattern dance next season or the season after and bring back the ntstsq and keep the partial step sequence in hold...

dress

On the Ice
I hope they will keep the pattern dances. It's a great way to compare the couples.

Maybe I'm weird, but I miss the old format with the CD, OD, FD.

Am I the only one?

GF2445

Record Breaker
So this season the highest scores a dance team can achieve is

80.20 for the short
120.90 for the free
Total 201.10

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Golden Waltz is the most difficult and it's downhill from there. The IDTC is likely to eliminate the pattern dance altogether and create a new type of pattern to use for the SD. This idea was discussed a couple of years ago but no decision was made at the time.

BTW, the pattern dances and rhythms for 2016-17 have been announced (emphases added):

II. PART OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR TECHNICAL RULES FOR SHORT DANCE SEASON 2016/17

1. Rhythms

Rule 709, paragraph 1.a) provides that rhythm(s) and/or theme(s) are selected by the Ice Dance Technical Committee annually for the season. For the season 2016/17, the following Rhythms were selected.

Junior and Senior: Blues, plus any number of the following Rhythms: Swing, Hip Hop

Senior:
The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Blues Rhythm, in the style of the Blues.
The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance: Midnight Blues, i.e. 22 measures of 4 beats or 88 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.

Junior:
The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Blues Rhythm, in the style of the Blues.
The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance: Blues, i.e. 22 measures of 4 beats or 88 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.

http://static.isu.org/media/199557/1937-id-requirements-for-technical-rules-2015_16.pdf (Apr 14)

I hope they will keep the pattern dances. It's a great way to compare the couples.

Maybe I'm weird, but I miss the old format with the CD, OD, FD.

Am I the only one?

I'm not crazy about the SD. Would prefer the CD, OD, FD.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.ice-dance.com/main/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/MidnightBlues.pdf

The Midnight Blues was last used as a Junior Dance in the 2006-2007 season, so very few of the teams will have competed it. It was used in Seniors for three years between 2002-2003 and 2005-2006. Weaver & Poje and Bobrova & Soloviev will have learned it together for their junior 2006-2007 season. Piper Gilles, Madison Hubbell, Paul Poirier, and Evan Bates will have done it in juniors, but with other partners. Cappellini & Lanotte were in seniors when the juniors were doing it and in juniors when the seniors were doing it.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I miss the old format, too.

Its all about the money...and public interest.
We love a good compulsory session but to the general audience unless its a good dance (and some are better than others) it could be a big snoozefest.