2015 Europeans Ladies Short Program Jan 29 | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Ladies Short Program Jan 29

StunninglyUnique

Rinkside
So I went and saw the ladies short program in Stockholm and tbh I felt like Elena was overscored, I'm not a figure skating expert but I do know briefly what good skating is. Her jumps were good and so were her spins but her basic skating I don't like and especially today it was sloppy. Can someone help me understand. Was she actually scored correctly or not?

bixby

Final Flight
So I went and saw the ladies short program in Stockholm and tbh I felt like Elena was overscored, I'm not a figure skating expert but I do know briefly what good skating is. Her jumps were good and so were her spins but her basic skating I don't like and especially today it was sloppy. Can someone help me understand. Was she actually scored correctly or not?

She's still juniorish IMO right now. Watch Ashley's long program at Nationals and you'll see the difference.

whatif

Medalist
I agree with BES commentators that even though Radio's jumps were not as good as Liza's, she does have more complicated transitions and jump entries, particularly into the combo and 2A. Hence I suspect it may help her to even out negative GOEs for landings?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Because you're here too??? lol

And waiting for them to get there... Hopefully they will ARRIVE at some point. Don't you want that? So I'm sticking around...
Mao and Yuna are not here. And seriously I'd rather have diversity. Because if everyone skate like Mao and Yuna it's kinda boring to watch.

bixby

Final Flight
Mao and Yuna are not here. And seriously I'd rather have diversity. Because if everyone skate like Mao and Yuna it's kinda boring to watch.

Agree. What I mean I guess is the MATURITY that they have. I don't want them to be like Mao or Yuna, NO! That's not my point. I want them to be them and bring their presence in their own unique way when they perform.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Another amazing skate by Liza! :clap:

Not worthy of a 70, but technically those jumps were sublime. Even her lutz looked better than earlier in the season. And of course the 3-3 is good enough that it doesn't really matter if she doesn't do a 3Z+3T (although Elena can beat that).

Interesting. this skate can't touch Ashley who does a triple lutz triple toe techincally; maybe Ashley could give the Russian ladies a ru n for their money - after all she has the pcs too over the Russians.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Interesting. this skate can't touch Ashley who does a triple lutz triple toe techincally; maybe Ashley could give the Russian ladies a ru n for their money - after all she has the pcs too over the Russians.
If Liza and Elena land all of their jumps like today, there is no way for diva Wagner to win.

whatif

Medalist

Ashley yet to have those triples ratified at an international competition. Now than we can talk touching.

tulosai

Record Breaker
These girls/ladies just doesn't have the aura of like Yuna and Mao. They don't have such presence on the ice that moves you. They can jump and spin really well but that's about all you get.

YMMV. Liza's presence moves me this year. I feel she's grown into a really mature, powerful skater. She's not the graceful mold like Yuna/Mao but something different and exciting- and it does move me.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am so happy the Russian girls delivered their best today. I don't think Elena's jump would be much of an issue in the future, since she does not rely on fast rotation. Some of her landings look shaky; I think it is due to her long legs, and she has to make a bigger movement to pull her free leg back.

Lipea

Final Flight
Ashley flutz and Gracie is a nervous skater. Karen has yet to grow.
I am sure had Anna been born in US she would received better treatment. US coach would help her refine her skills and give her better package, help her fix her spin and stiff knee. And she is so beautiful she can be a poster lady.
But yeah, it would be much better had she been born in Canada.

If Anna would be born in Canada or US she would not be nearly as good as she is. In America to get child training like in Russia would be extremely expensive, that's why American skaters must be first of all financially capable and in addition to having a huge desire. And plus she would be fatter - look at all US ladies and, I am sorry, Canadian juniors whom I would never be able to call juniors. So, Russia has those girls not because of the girls but because of the system. If it would not be them, it would be someone else.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
just watched Radio and Liza, both are great, both added more nuance/choreo to their performances, but really Liza wowed me, her arm/body moves are much more refined now. and commitment/command/confidence of choreo are all there. I will give her higher PCS with larger margin than Radio. and IMHO, she should be the lead here.

I think if Liza skates clean and does her 3-3 in the second half of the program, she will win. In the long program, if she skates it well, I think her PCS will be higher than Elena's. She is on fire in that footwork when she does it well. Elena is a little out of her depth with that Rachmaninoff medley. And, of course, if Elena makes a mistake... The pressure is on both Russian ladies to skate clean.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I had seen Wagner first time at COR 2009 and she wasnt the skater she is today, she was 17-18 years old? Neither Mao was the same skater in 2006 and could not deliver the 2014 performances when she was 16. So I guess we need to give time to these girls to grow up and mature too.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Anna would be born in Canada or US she would not be nearly as good as she is. In America to get child training like in Russia would be extremely expensive, that's why American skaters must be first of all financially capable and in addition to having a huge desire. And plus she would be fatter - look at all US ladies and, I am sorry, Canadian juniors whom I would never be able to call juniors. So, Russia has those girls not because of the girls but because of the system. If it would not be them, it would be someone else.

I disagree. I think she would be better. She would have better artistry and packaging. And the comment about "fatter" is just UGH and so not true. The young Russian girls like Elena are still growing. Look at Liza from 3 years ago. The difference is the top US ladies are women, not girls.

Lipea

Final Flight
I really loved Anna so much! I think she deserves to have as much of PCS as Lena. Her body and pose are much more relaxed and beautifully expressive. She needs to improve her spins, then she could be capable to be on the same level. I also don't quite get how Lena gets all those +Goes on her jumps, while Liza does not get enough - her Lutz in particular should be +3. I guess it is all these transitions getting into and out of jump.
Lena grew up a lot, and one can see it with naked eye, even her face changed. I don't think it will cause her much problems in future since I am sure she will stay slim (her mom is skinny too).
Liza was so polished, so beautiful, so feminine!
Overall I am so happy for them and that they push each other!:clap:

CutieP

On the Ice
I think if Liza skates clean and does her 3-3 in the second half of the program, she will win. In the long program, if she skates it well, I think her PCS will be higher than Elena's. She is on fire in that footwork when she does it well. Elena is a little out of her depth with that Rachmaninoff medley. And, of course, if Elena makes a mistake... The pressure is on both Russian ladies to skate clean.

On the contrary! Elena has been way better in her free this season than her short. That Rach. has been amazing every time this season. Take this from somebody who watches all her programs many times on replay.

Lipea

Final Flight
I disagree. I think she would be better. She would have better artistry and packaging. And the comment about "fatter" is just UGH and so not true. The young Russian girls like Elena are still growing. Look at Liza from 3 years ago. The difference is the top US ladies are women, not girls.

The difference is not in women/girls but in juniors. The juniors are looking different. But it is normal, the same thing with North-American young people in general vs Europeans. Unhealthier food. She would not have the technique like she does, artistry just by itself is nothing without the technique for the skater.

Plisskin

Medalist
American and Canadian female skaters are fat now and suck? :laugh: Russia has some (technically) good skaters right now, but let's not blindly stan and forget that they really haven't had anyone competitive since Slutskaya. Domination comes in cycles. This current reign of the Russian jumping beans won't last forever, just like on the Men's side some other country will start dominating. 10 years ago who would have thought Japanese Men would ever dominate Men's FS? It's crazy/ interesting how these things go.
I also don't think Ashley, Gracie, that junior girl who won bronze (can't remember her name) and Polina are "fat" but to each his own.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I also has higher hopes on Radio to keep her jumps after puberty, she is one of those Russian girls that has better jumping tech when they are skinny leggy girls. Radio's transition is not in good quality though, turns are jumpy, and that little touch ice of free leg before her 2A is iffy to me. does it really merit a difficult entry.