2015 Nebelhorn Trophy SD and FD | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy SD and FD

nocturnalis

Medalist
Yup D/L's choreography is going to backfire hard if they keep doing the same thing. They are going to do get a reputation for one style of skating. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but until they can show anything different, it will stick. Luckily this is the year to make mistakes. Last year, skaters had to present themselves as competitors and next year it's gearing up for the Olympics.

Astrid56

Final Flight
C/B's FD, choreographically, flows very well and some movements were beautifully done to the music. It looks a bit raw ... unpolished but they did well for a first performance. This music is very challenging to skate to - the highs and the lows require subtlety, organic sensitivity. Once, they have captured the muances of the music, the program will be powerful. They did a wonderful job with 'An American in Paris'_ also a difficult piece to dance to. This FD will get better in time. Here's the video of their FD _ https://youtu.be/ba-ee3g36tI

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I could not disagree more. I loved C&M's zombie program, but not the beginning part of this FD.

LOL I don't like the beginning or the entire last third. That's the first initial impression. On a positive note, it was skated with genuine emotional maturity. Evan never gets credit for it, but he is such a better actor-on-ice than Charlie ever was.
[ETA: Oops, I thought you were talking about C/B not C/M. I haven't watched C/M yet. All this alphabet couple soup can get confusing!]

Dubreil and Lauzon's choreography is the equivalent of vaseline on a camera lens. Montreal Mush. Sigh.

Oh my. It's going to be The Battle Of the Arty Farties this year. We may expire from all the Good Taste.

KKonas

Medalist
Yeah, totally shallow on my part, but the pink was really distracting on an otherwise really beautiful dress!

I don't feel C/B's FD yet, but can appreciate the technical improvements, namely the twizzles (the lunge was pretty cool). The lifts were great as always.

P/I = sigh. I feel like going to Montreal and the programs have made them more Virtue/Moir lite -- all the romance without the power. Why is D/L so into these soft and romantic programs?!

I pretty much agree with your comments Mrs. P. C&B are technically much better than the rest of this group, but I don't like the pink showing thru on Chock's dress as it really is distracting. I never thought that P&I were strong skaters, pretty but IMO Islam in particular is weak.

TMC

Record Breaker
I loved C/M's free so much, I even got a little teary :)

Due to logistical reasons, I was watching it on my ipad in a department store, sitting on a sofa near the changing rooms while my husband was trying on clothes. He came out and almost ran to me, looking all worried, asking if I was okay :laugh:

Layback11

Record Breaker
LOL I don't like the beginning or the entire last third. That's the first initial impression. On a positive note, it was skated with genuine emotional maturity. Evan never gets credit for it, but he is such a better actor-on-ice than Charlie ever was.
[ETA: Oops, I thought you were talking about C/B not C/M. I haven't watched C/M yet. All this alphabet couple soup can get confusing!]

Dubreil and Lauzon's choreography is the equivalent of vaseline on a camera lens. Montreal Mush. Sigh.

Oh my. It's going to be The Battle Of the Arty Farties this year. We may expire from all the Good Taste.

You mean, all the odd packaging choices? The spoken voicovers? The deep storylines? The avant-garde music choices? The strange costumes that supposedly have some deep meaning?

Blegh.

Astrid56

Final Flight

Yes, Evan is!

bramweld

Record Breaker
What are C/B doing? They make Betina Popova look prudish!!

V/T very cute even with Max's fall.

Barb

Record Breaker
C/B´s program is nice, it is not spectacular but is enough interesting and it was their first competition, so it will get better. I think it is different from their previous programs.
And agree, the pink panties :disapp:

P/I :eek:hwell:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes, yes; and wow, WOW :): Max's hard work on choreo and presentation is really paying off :yay:.
Obviously in his SP. Also in his FS, although his next step -- mentally, more than anything, I think -- is to retain his quads at the same time that he is concentrating on performing Black Swan.

Someone noted above that Paul/Islam did not skate in the exhibition. I wonder why.
(I'm sure they would have been invited.)

Anyway, thanks again to gallavich for the skate order for the gala.

Maybe Mitch might be a little under the weather. He did seem a bit off balance in the FD today.

Layback11

Record Breaker
W/P, ShibSibs, and P/C (if/when Gabrielle is healthy) had better deliver. I don't want to have to look forward to what I've seen so far.

I agree on that completely. (Of course I want my Shibs to deliver, LOL!) But there may be hope yet. C/L got very good scores at Lombardia, I heard I/K looked strong at the Russian test skates, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe we've seen B/S yet. So even if the US Classic was pathetic and you hate C/B's programs (those scores were great for the first outing of the season), there are teams who might come from behind and be awesome. :)

Oh, and H/B. We haven't seen them, so I'm still pulling for a breakout season.

That being said, it is a little pathetic that McNamara and Carpenter got better scores at JGP Poland this week than everyone at this competition but C/B. :slink:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree on that completely. (Of course I want my Shibs to deliver, LOL!) But there may be hope yet. C/L got very good scores at Lombardia, I heard I/K looked strong at the Russian test skates, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe we've seen B/S yet.

B/S actually have competed (though I don't remember where) about a week before the Russian test skates, and also preformed at the Russian test skates. The SP looks very good; the free a bit less so at least to me.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I liked CB's program... nothing out of this world, but quite solid. I like it more than BS FD, less than IZ FD, as much as CL FD, although I think they are technically better than CL. I think all those will be scoring in the same range. None of them were earth shattering to me.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I liked CB's program... nothing out of this world, but quite solid. I like it more than BS FD, less than IZ FD, as much as CL FD, although I think they are technically better than CL. I think all those will be scoring in the same range. None of them were earth shattering to me.

I'm hoping the Shibs and Weapo will have the strongest programs because we haven't seen a truly great (IMHO) program yet. (I don't have much hope for Weapo's SD, but their FD sounds great, and both of the Shibs' choices look promising.)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm hoping the Shibs and Weapo will have the strongest programs because we haven't seen a truly great (IMHO) program yet. (I don't have much hope for Weapo's SD, but their FD sounds great, and both of the Shibs' choices look promising.)

I found most of the free dances I watched at this comp. kind of "meh." The only one I really enjoyed was that of the German team that placed 4th (I can't remember their exact names off the top of my head), skated to music from the Amelie soundtrack.

caitie

Medalist
I loved Chock and Bates' ex! I'm particularly obsessed with the kiss/bite lift and right after that where the beat really starts pumping and Madison leads Evan into some crossovers... it's awesome. Great choreo by Rohene.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I've never been a fan of Chock & Bates and didn't like their SD. Chock's dress lovely but the pink panties not a good look. This was a "Virtue & Moir super light" program, with many elements copied from V/M's 2008 OD -- Dark Eyes.

Layback11

Record Breaker
As the competition is over, any favorite performances?

Mine: Chartrand's SP :love: :love:, Cannuscio/McManus's SD :love: and Vartmann/Blommaert's SP :love: :).