2023 Nebelhorn Trophy: General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Nebelhorn Trophy: General Info

icewhite

Record Breaker
It's especially sad when you see the overview there with older streams below and it says "Nebelhorn Trophy Day 1" FREE etc.
😅
but maybe they saw that others want money for it and now try it too. If they lose too many viewers, they might find another solution again next year?

I guess they don't care about losing online viewers. If they get 400 people to pay, they get like 7000 Euro, depending on whether those buy the whole event. Any way - for them, short term, it's worth it. It's the ISU who would have to say they don't agree to such conditions, they want the streaming rights themselves or demand it's free or a package for the whole series or just less money or whatever. Because for them, in the longer run, it's surely damaging.
And if the organizer says they cannot or don't want to hold the event under such conditions the ISU needs to find a way to make it happen, change something until it's possible. ISU's not broke, yet, and maybe they need to invest a bit to gain viewers.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I guess they don't care about losing online viewers. If they get 400 people to pay, they get like 7000 Euro, depending on whether those buy the whole event. Any way - for them, short term, it's worth it. It's the ISU who would have to say they don't agree to such conditions, they want the streaming rights themselves or demand it's free or a package for the whole series or just less money or whatever. Because for them, in the longer run, it's surely damaging.
And if the organizer says they cannot or don't want to hold the event under such conditions the ISU needs to find a way to make it happen, change something until it's possible. ISU's not broke, yet, and maybe they need to invest a bit to gain viewers.
400? isn't that optimistic?
But I guess a bigger impact could be sponsors who want to have that online exposure and if there's less people watching, they might have a say?

icewhite

Record Breaker
400? isn't that optimistic?
But I guess a bigger impact could be sponsors who want to have that online exposure and if there's less people watching, they might have a say?

I have no idea about the real numbers. It was just taken out of the blue, I mean a free stream... probably doesn't really get them much. I doubt the sponsors pay a lot for featuring in those streams... but of course I don't know. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree that the ISU should make it mandatory for all JGP. GP and Challenger events to have free online streaming available.

As mentioned at other times, Skate Canada's mandatory streaming came from a desire for transparency. By making the streaming available but not only the live stream but also the archives, it helps keeping the sport fairer. Everyone can at all times look at the footage with the scoresheets and it may prevent disgraceful judging. Something to think about right?

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
German Fed is not able to acquire sponsors. The only souce for money is government or the very small group of people that are still interested in figure skating in Germany like the skaters and their families. Last year they had already a paid stream from the Bavarian Open, an international competiton with includes Advanced Novice, so the kids had to tell their grannies and firend to pay that they can watch them.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have no idea about the real numbers. It was just taken out of the blue, I mean a free stream... probably doesn't really get them much. I doubt the sponsors pay a lot for featuring in those streams... but of course I don't know. :)
The organization committee of the Ice Challenge Graz, mentioned in there announcement of this years cancellation that they generated 139,000 hits on the live strean. https://www.icechallenge.at/ If only the half is willing to pay 20 € for the all event pass they generate easy money, BTW the usage of sportdeutschland.TV is for free. That they eventually loose the other half of the spectators seems to be no problem for them

Ivana

On the Ice
The organization committee of the Ice Challenge Graz, mentioned in there announcement of this years cancellation that they generated 139,000 hits on the live strean. https://www.icechallenge.at/ If only the half is willing to pay 20 € for the all event pass they generate easy money, BTW the usage of sportdeutschland.TV is for free. That they eventually loose the other half of the spectators seems to be no problem for them
While that number seems amazing, nowhere does it say whether this is counting unique IP address hits or the same users logging in several times a day or on different days and each counted a new hit. Autumn Classic live stream last week for example at times that were convenient for Europe as well, had anywhere between 600-1500 users watching. I think this may be more appropriate number for the online audience that a Challenger can generate.

I don't think any of the federations will generate easy money with the pricing that Solidsport set up. They will be happy if they can cover the cost for the production of the livestream from that money, if that is their target then good for them. Sometimes you have to be smart with the prices, as lower prices may guarantee you higher viewership and in the end more money, but I don't think any fed. or the company itself made any analyses how much the hardcore fans are willing to pay for the stream, because let's be real here, your casual figure skating fan is not searching for online streams and even if they were they'd not pay the amount of money that they ask.

yesterday

Record Breaker
While that number seems amazing, nowhere does it say whether this is counting unique IP address hits or the same users logging in several times a day or on different days and each counted a new hit. Autumn Classic live stream last week for example at times that were convenient for Europe as well, had anywhere between 600-1500 users watching. I think this may be more appropriate number for the online audience that a Challenger can generate.

I don't think any of the federations will generate easy money with the pricing that Solidsport set up. They will be happy if they can cover the cost for the production of the livestream from that money, if that is their target then good for them. Sometimes you have to be smart with the prices, as lower prices may guarantee you higher viewership and in the end more money, but I don't think any fed. or the company itself made any analyses how much the hardcore fans are willing to pay for the stream, because let's be real here, your casual figure skating fan is not searching for online streams and even if they were they'd not pay the amount of money that they ask.

I could also see a different approach: why not having the stream for free and at the end there is a pop-up saying "Did you like our service? If so, please donate an amount of your choice, as much as you can or what it is worth to you."

yesterday

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot, still have not decided if I´m going to purchase the stream or not...

Does anyone know what the option pay ber view means for 7 Euros? Would it cover a whole day or maybe just one discipline at one day? If it would cover a whole day I might purchase Saturday.
I'd say it does as they usually have one stream a day and not for each discipline.

Magill

Record Breaker
I could also see a different approach: why not having the stream for free and at the end there is a pop-up saying "Did you like our service? If so, please donate an amount of your choice, as much as you can or what it is worth to you."
I call it "The Guardian" approach. It speaks tonnes to me and I really appreciate it!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's pretty disappointing that the stream is not free anymore. I always watched Nebelhorn Trophy on the stream, when I wasn't in Oberstdorf in person, and looked forward to it. So I'm basically one of the people this is aimed at, but I will not pay. I think they're doing themselves no favour with this. If you want to have a little for your expenses, okay. But for that kind of money I basically get a Discovery Subscription for the entire GP series. 20 Euro for watching just one competition? Nope, I'm out. 🙄

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
It's pretty disappointing that the stream is not free anymore. I always watched Nebelhorn Trophy on the stream, when I wasn't in Oberstdorf in person, and looked forward to it. So I'm basically one of the people this is aimed at, but I will not pay. I think they're doing themselves no favour with this. If you want to have a little for your expenses, okay. But for that kind of money I basically get a Discovery Subscription for the entire GP series. 20 Euro for watching just one competition? Nope, I'm out. 🙄
The way I look at it... a lot of sport isn't going to be free to watch. It's great when some of it's free.. but I wouldn't expect it to be. Streams cost money and effort to set up so I get why organisers/federations would outsource it to professionals. And they need paying.

Most of the individual videos will likely surface elsewhere pretty soon after anyway.

Also, Isn't Germany pretty bad for not funding skaters..? I'm surprised there was a free stream for this long.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I guess there will not be a single free stream of a Challenger competition this (or in future) seasons then (apart from Autumn Classic). Too bad, because even if I could afford it (which I cannot), I will not pay somewhere in the ballpark of 150 to 200€ each season to have the opportunity of watching all Challengers.

Guess I'll have to stick to giving my information to dubious Russian social media sites and pay for my stream with my privacy. 🤷‍♀️
Ugh how frustrating. Does anyone know if you they will have replays of the livestreams? I can’t watch live so I don’t want to pay if not.

icewhite

Record Breaker
The way I look at it... a lot of sport isn't going to be free to watch. It's great when some of it's free.. but I wouldn't expect it to be. Streams cost money and effort to set up so I get why organisers/federations would outsource it to professionals. And they need paying.

Most of the individual videos will likely surface elsewhere pretty soon after anyway.

Also, Isn't Germany pretty bad for not funding skaters..? I'm surprised there was a free stream for this long.

It's okay in my eyes to have to pay for a stream. It's the price that is just over the top.
It would be different if it was 5 Euro for the whole event or if there was a package for all Challengers for 20 Euro, I'd pay that.
20 Euro per Challenger is simply not adequate.

(Germany isn't bad for funding skaters, that, imo, is a rumour that has somehow spread. The skaters are having issues with the conditions and a lot of money that's intended for the skaters or earned by them doesn't go to the skaters, but overall they get some good money in my eyes.)

But in the end this is on the organizers first, and, if they are really unable to hold such an event without going into the red, on the ISU.

Kris135

On the Ice
I do not have money to shell out $20 per event nor should I have to pay just to watch figure skating. I wonder why these streams can not put on YouTube and monetize them with ads. Also with these low level events you should be able somebody to sponsor them. I mean the one that was Canada the main sponsors were the province of Quebec, a Canadian flower company, and the Chicken famers of Canada. To think that skating events can not find sponsors is wrong.They can. It might not be prestigious ones but they could find one if they really wanted to. I just want to stop the nickeling and dimming of fans to stop because this why skating is in deep trouble and driving more fans is not helping any.