2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeahh congrats Anna and Maria... Anna's score will be competitive at Japan Open, consider her sensible PCS too. She has room for growth with this program! Good luck you two!

belladashwood

Rinkside
Their spin actually got level 4. The issue is the step sequences where they got a level 2 and a level 1. For both step sequences together they only got about 11 points, versus about 15.5 points for C/B and G/P. Essentially that WAS the difference.

Maia and Alex got level 4 on their spin, but level 2 on the circular step sequence and level 1 on the diagonal step sequence. The GOE could've been better on the steps and on their first two lifts as well. I'm glad they got good GOE for the third lift (rotational), because it was the most impactful part of the program for me, along with their twizzles.

EDIT: Haha, tulosai beat me to it :) Great minds think alike?

I just saw the protocols right now, they weren't up for me when I posted earlier. Yes, the Shibs got a level 4 on their combo spin & it was well done; but IMO I still don't think theirs was as difficult as Chock & Bates (the catch foot positions add more difficulty). In ice dance everything is about perception, if the Shibs want to be US #1 and beat Chock & Bates, then they have to be hitting their levels & have just as difficult if not more difficult elements than Chock & Bates. With this kind of start losing to teams (G/P & Coomes & Buckland) that they've easily beaten in the past, the Shibs hold on being US #2 could seriously slip. Like I said, they need to skate closer together with more closed hand holds, they were waaaay too far apart which is why they got the level 1 & 2 on their step sequences. With the Shibs skill set and how well they've performed in the past, there is no reason for them to be getting level 1's in any of their step sequences.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I'm so happy Anna did well! Thank God, I hope it'll give more confidence in the future.
And congratulations to Evgenia with her first senior win. Yay! :)

slider11

Medalist
Trying to process the ice dance results. I really like Gilles and Poirier but I can't see theirs as an overall superior product to the Shibs'. I do agree that the Shibs have got to take a look at the technical aspect of what they are doing and find out what's missing. I don't know if that means changing coaches or like someone else said, locking themselves into a rink and getting it right with the best technician coach they can find. Davis and White always seemed to get their levels or at least 3s. Maybe it's time to purchase some time with their friends.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
VC going on. Maria Artimeva has not shown up for the medal ceremony.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
WTH. Ennio Morricone's music is never boring, but it is often over used and contrively interpreted.

Typically the lazy way to interpret is to only pick the peaceful serene bit and let it be part of the 'beautiful impressions' of the presentation without acknowledge the source of the music. Where used music nothing more than a backdrop to advertise yourself like in a commercial without context. However, for the beauty and peaceful serenity to work, for there is light, there must be a a darker side to it. The film is actually quite dark, and this program despite its youthful skater, didn't take the easy way out and actually at least acknowledged period, the jesuit setting, and the South American tribal aspect to the story. He has told the story through his performance rather than takes things too easy, and just let the beautiful music be a backdrop and nothing more. I thought his costume is very good and appropriate, best out of the final flight of men I saw.

IMO there are no best / legit music if the skate can't interpret it properly and thoughtfully. Just as there are no boring / bad music, if the skaters can make the program work and for it to have purpose.
Totally agree!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These flag graphics are revolting. Yuck. Just have the actual flags, please.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
oh god the flag graphics. whyyyyyyyyyyy

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please camera. Please DO NOT put the camera to the front angle, make snapchat flags, and then have no sound. Cause that's just sad in my opinion.