2015 Russian Team for Euros, Worlds, & Universiade | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Team for Euros, Worlds, & Universiade

tulosai

Record Breaker
Enrolment it's just a formality. Any school can do (on line study too). No requirements for attending classes etc. You can be freshman for 5 years (some schools do allow it, you just pay, delay change school etc.) as long as you are enrolled for the Universiade is ok.

Bazarova is a student. Not exactly sure what she is studying or how diligently, but I am sure she is enrolled and plowing through at least a few classes- she hasn't graduated yet. Not sure about the others mentioned.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm surprised about Lip. For sure I thought the Russian fed would screw over another skater and send her to Euros to defend her title.

I thought that at the beginning of the season but it's obvious now that she's in no shape to defend any major title, and I say this as a long-time hardcore fan. There is no indication whatsoever that she is capable of skating a clean LP. As someone else said, she maybe has a small chance at worlds (if, basically, Pogo screws up at Euros and Adelina is not ready AND Julia has a brand new sparkly clean LP where she can land all the jumps probably more than once in front of many Russian officials) but in all likelihood, her season is over.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Bazarova is a student. Not exactly sure what she is studying or how diligently, but I am sure she is enrolled and plowing through at least a few classes- she hasn't graduated yet. Not sure about the others mentioned.

Katsalapov seems to have finished at MGAFK (his facebook indicates he finished over a year ago). When Sinitsina was still based in Russia, she was attending the Moscow Teacher's University along with Ruslan, Mozgov, Biryukova, and Maria Paliakova. She seems to have attended a few classes but the university is close to the rink (which is why those who trained in Medvedkovo or Mechta tended to go there) and in the q&a of this ceremony she indicates that she went to classes between training sessions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-CESkxyAs&t=8m50s

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Svinin (Stepanova/Bukin's coach) was promised by the Federation that S/B will be in Euros team 'regardless of any test skates'.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Augh, another (likely) closed doors test skate. Why even hold a Nationals at all. We know what's going to happen - Sotnikova and B/S will skate "good enough" to bump others (who earned it) off the Worlds/Euro team.

Maybe Euros for Sotnikova, but Pogo (or Medvedeva if she were eligible) deserves Worlds along with Rad/Tuk.

I'm surprised about Lip. For sure I thought the Russian fed would screw over another skater and send her to Euros to defend her title.

Ticket sales.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Svinin (Stepanova/Bukin's coach) was promised by the Federation that S/B will be in Euros team 'regardless of any test skates'.
:scratch: Maybe they think it's unlikely B/S will be fit for Europeans, and their test skate is for Worlds. Or they're planning to send S/B to Europeans and M/K to Worlds in light of how close the scores were.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
:scratch: Maybe they think it's unlikely B/S will be fit for Europeans, and their test skate is for Worlds. Or they're planning to send S/B to Europeans and M/K to Worlds in light of how close the scores were.

My theory is that S/B have really strong support from officials, and we might see switch of Zhuline's two teams here: M/K to B/S. Although, if I quote Svinin more correctly he said: 'We were promised, that there will be no changes in National team 'till Euros, regardless of any test skates', which means no new dance team will be added.
But there may be a play of words: B/S are on the team too, they are alternates but they're still in. Of course, this might be just my overactive imagination, but I smell something really fishy there. I don't see the Fed sending any other team to Euros and Worlds instead of B/S, if they are fully recovered and ready to dance.
Another possible scenario: Dima still is not fully recovered.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My theory is that S/B have really strong support from officials, and we might see switch of Zhuline's two teams here: M/K to B/S. Although, if I quote Svinin more correctly he said: 'We were promised, that there will be no changes in National team 'till Euros, regardless of any test skates', which means no new dance team will be added.
But there may be a play of words: B/S are on the team too, they are alternates but they're still in. Of course, this might be just my overactive imagination, but I smell something really fishy there. I don't see the Fed sending any other team to Euros and Worlds instead of B/S, if they are fully recovered and ready to dance.
Another possible scenario: Dima still is not fully recovered.
Maybe it's my own bias here, but I don't think it's unreasonable to send S/B to Europeans and M/K to Worlds. I'd find it more of a problem if the scores were further apart, or if a team further down the rankings was sent. It would be epically unfair if M/K didn't get Worlds though.

Country
Russia
http://www.rg.ru/2014/12/28/konki-site-anons.html
International Assignments after Senior Nationals.

Euro, 26 Jan - 1 Feb 2015.

Men. Main entries - Kovtun, Voronov, Pitkeev. Substitutes - Menshov, Gorshkov, Gachinsky.

Ladies. Main entries - Radionova, Tuktamysheva, Pogorilaya. Substitutes - Leonova, Artemieva, Sotnikova.

Pairs. Main entries - Stolbova/Klimov, Tarasova/Morosov, Kavaguti/Smirnov. Substitutes - Astakhova/Rogonov, Bazarova/Deputat, Volosozhar/Trankov.

Dance. Main entries - Ilyinykh/Zhiganshin, Monko/Khalyavin, Stepanova/Bukin. Substitutes - Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Bobrova/Soloviev.

27th Winter Universiade, 4-14 Feb 2015.

Men. Main entries - Gorshkov, Gachinsky, Kvitelashvili.

Ladies. Main entries - Leonova, Artemieva. Substitute - Sotnikova.

Pairs. Main entries - Tarasova/Morosov, Astakhova/Rogonov, Bazarova/Deputat.

Dance. Main entries - Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Kosygina/Moroshkin.

Remark - skaters at Universiade must be students, born at 1987-1997. So Kavaguti/Smirnov and Menshov are not eligible by age (too old), ladies except Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Artemieva, Leonova, Stavitskaia, Korobeynikova - too young.

12th Winter European Youth Olympic Festival 25 - 30 Jan 2015

Men - main Aliev, substitute Bernadiner.

Ladies - main Proklova, substitute Sotskova (probably Sotskova will be at JrWorlds, so here she is substitute).

Assignments to JrWorlds (2-8 Mar 2015) will be after JrNats (4-7 Feb 2015).

Assignments to Worlds (23-29 Mar 2015) will be after Final of Russian Cup (24-28 Feb 2015), on results of Nats, Euro and Final of Russian Cup.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
http://www.rg.ru/2014/12/28/konki-site-anons.html
International Assignments after Senior Nationals.

Euro, 26 Jan - 1 Feb 2015.

Men. Main entries - Kovtun, Voronov, Pitkeev. Substitutes - Menshov, Gorshkov, Gachinsky.

Ladies. Main entries - Radionova, Tuktamysheva, Pogorilaya. Substitutes - Leonova, Artemieva, Sotnikova.

Pairs. Main entries - Stolbova/Klimov, Tarasova/Morosov, Kavaguti/Smirnov. Substitutes - Astakhova/Rogonov, Bazarova/Deputat, Volosozhar/Trankov.

Dance. Main entries - Ilyinykh/Zhiganshin, Monko/Khalyavin, Stepanova/Bukin. Substitutes - Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Bobrova/Soloviev.

27th Winter Universiade, 4-14 Feb 2015.

Men. Main entries - Gorshkov, Gachinsky, Kvitelashvili.

Ladies. Main entries - Leonova, Artemieva. Substitute - Sotnikova.

Pairs. Main entries - Tarasova/Morosov, Astakhova/Rogonov, Bazarova/Deputat.

Dance. Main entries - Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Kosygina/Moroshkin.

Remark - skaters at Universiade must be students, born at 1987-1997. So Kavaguti/Smirnov and Menshov are not eligible by age (too old), ladies except Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Artemieva, Leonova, Stavitskaia, Korobeynikova - too young.

12th Winter European Youth Olympic Festival 25 - 30 Jan 2015

Men - main Aliev, substitute Bernadiner.

Ladies - main Proklova, substitute Sotskova (probably Sotskova will be at JrWorlds, so here she is substitute).

Assignments to JrWorlds (2-8 Mar 2015) will be after JrNats (4-7 Feb 2015).

Assignments to Worlds (23-29 Mar 2015) will be after Final of Russian Cup (24-28 Feb 2015), on results of Nats, Euro and Final of Russian Cup.

AlexRus thank you for posting.
Is it Sotnikova the 3. substitute (Leonova the 1. st)?
Am I reading correctly?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
AlexRus thank you for posting.
Is it Sotnikova the 3. substitute (Leonova the 1. st)?
Am I reading correctly?

Leonova, Artemieva, Sotnikova are listed in that order as substitutes in the official Euros announcement on the federation website.

(See post #9 on page 1 of this thread.)

anyanka

Record Breaker
I know it's in here somewhere but I can't find the exact reference ... is Adelina being given a test skate for Euros? If so, would she replace Anna? (Not a good idea, Anna can easily medal there and complete a Russian sweep with only Kiira spoiling the likely sweep.)

Adelina should be sent to Universiade since she's already enrolled in university as a student and can test herself there. It's a bit different from being Olympic champion but hey, even Yuna had to do smaller events like NRW and Golden Spin to qualify for Worlds.

uhh

Medalist
It was reported that a test event will be held for Adelina & B/S around 15th Jan and then the final team confirmed then.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know it's in here somewhere but I can't find the exact reference ... is Adelina being given a test skate for Euros? If so, would she replace Anna? (Not a good idea, Anna can easily medal there and complete a Russian sweep with only Kiira spoiling the likely sweep.)

If Adelina skates well enough to make the team, she would of course replace Anna who didn't medal at Russian Nationals. Liza and Elena have only lost to each other this season over all the events so it would make no sense to keep them home when they have beaten everyone in the world every time. Either Adelina or Anna would be likely to win bronze at Euros so I think it is a matter of whether the Russian Fed thinks Adelina's form is bad enough that she could finish off the podium there. I also don't think Adelina would put herself out there unless she is healthy enough to skate well.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
So Lipnitskaya(the current European Champion, Sochi Olympic Team GM, and World Silver Medalist) season is basically over. I find it sad she would not be at Worlds and at the Europeans to defend her title when run of the mill skaters are basically assured of a spot just because the're their countries top skater. I cannot even fathom how insane this is.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So Lipnitskaya(the current European Champion, Sochi Olympic Team GM, and World Silver Medalist) season is basically over. I find it sad she would not be at Worlds and at the Europeans to defend her title when run of the mill skaters are basically assured of a spot just because the're their countries top skater. I cannot even fathom how insane this is.

Even if Russia had 5 spots she might not have made the team. None of her performances this season would have allowed her to match her results at Euros or Worlds last year.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

I've discussed this particular topic at length elsewhere, so I won't go too deep here. I don't think it's sad at all that a variety of countries are represented at Worlds, even if a country's best skater isn't a top performer in international competitions. Isn't that the point of events like Worlds (or the Olympics), to bring together many athletes of various nationalities to compete in the same event? Worlds shouldn't look like Russian Nationals...

A lot has been said about Russia only having 3 Ladies spots available for international competitions, but I'm not sure I see what all the fuss is about. Russia only has two consistent skaters (Elena/Liza) who are eligible to go to Europeans/Worlds this year, and the third spot has been a toss-up between a couple other skaters with inconsistent seasons whose scores are typically well below Elena/Liza.

It's not as if Russia has 10 great skaters who are all on-par with one another to the point where you need to throw on a blindfold and play a game of "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" to make a decision.

As drivingmissdaisy stated above, even if you opened up Russia to 5 spots, the current alternate system would make the Russian ladies team look like this: Radionova-Tuktamysheva-Pogorilaya-Leonova-Artemieva. Still no Lipnitskaia.

I think the insane thing would be to send this girl off internationally after the season she's had thus far. I think it's time for a rest...