2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Youth Olympic Games Qualifiers

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Didn't Sarah Feng compete in dance with Anthony Ponomarenko when they were in Novice?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
BTW, the YOG qualifier in dance was held currently with the LPIDC open and ISU LPIDC events. Consequently, a lot of our best juniors chose the other two events rather than the YOG qualifier. The advantage of the ISU LPIDC was the input skaters got from ISU judges and tech panel.

Here's the results of the YOG for dance:
PlaceNameScoreSDFD
1Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC
Logan Bye, SC of New York
2Eliana Gropman, Washington FSC
Ian Somerville, Washington FSC
3Lydia Erdman, Philadelphia SC & HS
Alexey Shchepetov, Philadelphia SC & HS
4Alina Efimova, Peninsula SC
Kyle MacMillan, Washington FSC
5Elizabeth Addas, All Year FSC
Jonathan Schultz, FSC of Southern CA
6Heidi Washburn, Detroit SC
Val Katsman, Broadmoor SC

Last edited:

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Shin, Riley Dallas FSC

I believe Riley Shin is the younger sister of Ashley Shin. Ashley was the 2014 US Junior bronze medalist. http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034591.htm

Didn't Sarah Feng compete in dance with Anthony Ponomarenko when they were in Novice?

Yes, and they were fabulous. They split so Sarah could pursue her singles career, and at the same time Anthony moved to Michigan to train in Novi. I have to be honest, I thought Feng was great and I'm still not sold on Anthony's new partnership.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Where was/will be the YOG qualifier for pairs?

According to a post from Sylvia on FSU, the Cranberry Open was the YOG pairs qualifier. Only one of the three pairs (Rose/Goodpaster) was age eligible and so is qualified for selection. Findlay/Hale (he was born in 1996, so too old) and Bergdolt/Addison were the other two.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rose and Goodpaster were second in US Novice Pairs last season.

scores
SP. 6 32.60
FS. 2 77.06
Total.2. 109.66

Cranberry is a totally bonkers place for a pairs qualifier.

Why not Skate Detroit?

Or Liberty/Philadelphia?

Or Broadmoor?

Last edited:

nam57

Rinkside
Top Ten scores as per Unseen Skater

JUNIOR LADIES

Vivian Le Dallas FSC 182.81 Glacier Falls SW
Rebecca Peng SC of Boston 149.49 Colonial Open NE
Brynne McIsaac Washington FSC 148.44 May Day Open SA
Paige Rydberg Northern Ice SC 148.27 Glacier Falls UGL
Emily Mei-Lin Chan Dallas FSC 147.12 Glacier Falls SW
Megan Wessenberg SC of Boston 147.09 Cranberry Open NE
Vanna Giang All Year FSC 143.19 SoCal Interclub SWP
Nina Ouellette St. Moritz ISC 138.02 Glacier Falls CP
Alice Yang St. Moritz ISC 135.58 Glacier Falls CP
Sarah Feng SC of San Francisco 135.47 Glacier Falls CP

frida80

Record Breaker
Rose and Goodpaster were second in US Novice Pairs last season.

scores
SP. 6 32.60
FS. 2 77.06
Total.2. 109.66

Cranberry is a totally bonkers place for a pairs qualifier.

Why not Skate Detroit?

Or Liberty/Philadelphia?

Or Broadmoor?

Exactly! Why these weird competition so late in the summer? Especially when their sandwich between more popular competitions. Right now the junior ladies and men are trying to focus on the junior Grand Prix! No wonder we don't have a good lineup chosen!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just noticing two things from the 2012 YOG:

- USFS had no men's entry.

- Skate Canada had no entries in any discipline.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/yog2012/

Is it safe to assume that USFS and Skate Canada were eligible to send entries in those disciplines, but chose not to?

So would seem that the North America feds are not so sure of the value of YOG experience?

I'm just making an observation. Don't have an opinion of my own.

frida80

Record Breaker
Just noticing two things from the 2012 YOG:

- USFS had no men's entry.

- Skate Canada had no entries in any discipline.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/yog2012/

Is it safe to assume that USFS and Skate Canada were eligible to send entries in those disciplines, but chose not to?

So would seem that the North America feds are not so sure of the value of YOG experience?

I'm just making an observation. Don't have an opinion of my own.

I have to agree with you. The Russians take it seriously. Other nations kind of take it seriously. US? Not so much.

You'd think after Adelina and Elizaveta, the US would at least try to send someone more competitive.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Why use this and not Nationals? (OK, I know Nationals aren't strictly used, but they're obviously heavily influential...)

I don't know the thought processes at USFS.

I can guess part of why they don't use Nationals: The age limits for this event are very strict, much tighter than the ISU's limits for junior internationals. Therefore it's possible that some of the best age-eligible skaters will not be at Nationals at all, for instance if they come in 5th or 6th at sectionals behind competitors who are too old or too young to be considered for this event.

Also, depending on the discipline, the best skaters of that age group might be competing as novice, junior, or senior in US qualifying competitions. So holding a separate USOG qualifying event allows them all to compete against each other directly.

Back when Junior Worlds used to be held in December, it was almost a year since the previous Nationals, so it didn't make sense to use a competition back the previous winter to make the selections. So often USFSA invited skaters who were age eligible and who had impressed at the previous Nationals in either novice, junior, or senior to a competition in the summer to determine the junior world team. I don't know how they decided in years when they didn't have a selection competition -- maybe individual monitoring?

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't know the thought processes at USFS.

I can guess part of why they don't use Nationals: The age limits for this event are very strict, much tighter than the ISU's limits for junior internationals. Therefore it's possible that some of the best age-eligible skaters will not be at Nationals at all, for instance if they come in 5th or 6th at sectionals behind competitors who are too old or too young to be considered for this event.

Also, depending on the discipline, the best skaters of that age group might be competing as novice, junior, or senior in US qualifying competitions. So holding a separate USOG qualifying event allows them all to compete against each other directly.

Back when Junior Worlds used to be held in December, it was almost a year since the previous Nationals, so it didn't make sense to use a competition back the previous winter to make the selections. So often USFSA invited skaters who were age eligible and who had impressed at the previous Nationals in either novice, junior, or senior to a competition in the summer to determine the junior world team. I don't know how they decided in years when they didn't have a selection competition -- maybe individual monitoring?

In this case I think results from the junior Grand Prix and major competitions can be just as effective. It's obvious from previous results which people would be most competitive. They should send an invitation based on that. Not have a competition where a few competitors or even be there.

sk8ergirl101

Spectator
I know that the previous Youth Olympics in 2012 were the week before US Nationals, so all of the athletes has to be selected beforehand, not sure why they wouldn't use Nationals as a qualifier this time around though.

I don't think that USFS doesn't care about the YOG. The window of age where an athlete is eligible is quite tight. I don't think that any US men were age eligible last time either, and only one lower level pairs team was the right age.

Also in 2012 a few of the eligible skaters declined the invitation to compete because they would have to fly right from there to nationals.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know that the previous Youth Olympics in 2012 were the week before US Nationals, so all of the athletes has to be selected beforehand, not sure why they wouldn't use Nationals as a qualifier this time around though.

I don't think that USFS doesn't care about the YOG. The window of age where an athlete is eligible is quite tight. I don't think that any US men were age eligible last time either, and only one lower level pairs team was the right age.

Also in 2012 a few of the eligible skaters declined the invitation to compete because they would have to fly right from there to nationals.

Thx for your first post on GS, sk8ergirl101 :). Very informative :yes:.

frida80

Record Breaker

Good point about 2012 being so close to nationals. But 2016 is going to be about three weeks later. I think that's enough time for people to still be able to compete without conflict. That's why think it should be by invitation rather than the qualifier competitions.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lewis & Bye and Gropman & Somerville are both very high quality teams for their age bracket. I haven't heard anyone mention any higher ranked American dance teams that qualify. Are there any? My assumption was that the teams who competed in the other brackets at Lake Placid did so because they didn't qualify to compete in this one. (Along with age, I would also assume the team has to have full U.S. citizenship for both partners). Anyway, I think Lewis & Bye should be very competitive in an international field. (Any international field, but particularly one with tighter age & citizenship restrictions than the JGP circuit).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I had thought Carreira and Ponomarenko would qualify, but he is a hair too young. Also Grosul and Colucci are not quite in the age bracket. I am not sure about the Greens.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, I knew Carreira & Ponomarenko didn't meet the age requirement. Is she a U.S. or dual citizen? She is originally from Montreal, skated for Canada, & won a Skate Canada athlete of the year award in 2011.

Caroline Green is definitely younger than Anthony Ponomarenko.