2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
A little off topic but speaking of her coach Ravi Walia, I was very impressed by his student Brian Chiem in pre-novice men. He landed 3 triples including a triple loop in the Thornhill free skate.

Sorry wrong location but since it was mentioned here, Brian has improved a lot from about 2.5 yrs ago. This is his 3rd yr pre-novice and he seems to have started skating late.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
osmond LP from COS:
3F - stepout
1a + 3t
3lz
lsp
fccosp
2lo
3f+2t (didn't expect that)
3s+2t+2lo
2a - stepout
stsq
chsq
ccosp

better than wild rose for sure.

total 192.44

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wow!!! Big score and a marked improvement from Wild Rose! Fierce attack and 2 great combinations late in the performance were wonderful to see. Also, loved the Raj/Kaetlyn debrief...no resting on laurels here. Getting close to 200 so early in the season is cause for excitement!

kalle

On the Ice
COS Summer Skate at Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Does COS mean the Central Ontario Sectionals? Anyway here are fancam clips of Kaetlyn Osmond's performances at the event

SP: "Sous Le Ciel De Paris" + "Milord" sung by Edith Piaf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl75gOCn0M4
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ooiyj_20160813 on dailymotion

FS: "La Bohème" composed by Puccini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUnBokVxyA

Thank you!

I don't know if she will ever find the consistency needed to fight for medals at Worlds/Olympics but she has such a star quality. I have always been a big fan and she never disapoint me with her programs or presence on the ice. I hope she will remain injury free and also that she has a bit of fire to win that National title back again. The spring and freedom in her jumps (when landed) are impressive.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow!!! Big score and a marked improvement from Wild Rose! Fierce attack and 2 great combinations late in the performance were wonderful to see. Also, loved the Raj/Kaetlyn debrief...no resting on laurels here. Getting close to 200 so early in the season is cause for excitement!

I tell you what, if Kaetlyn ever gets her jumps to fire like they used to, she'll be very hard to beat. IMO, she's one of the best performers I've ever seen and I'm pushin' 50.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I wanted to pass on some stuff from Summer Skate.

I encountered Kaetlyn and Coach Ravi in the lobby after they had picked up Kaetlyn's SP protocols. I was walking behind them and heard Kaetlyn wondering how the results would hold up internationally. I think the SP results were alright. The FS was underwhelming IMO. With the Axel issues and no 3-3 the mark seemed a bit generous as well. But this is a summer competition and she improved from her last one so thumbs up for that. She has already realized she needs to do a lot more to be competitive internationally. Or even make it to Worlds. From what I saw, it's no longer about the injury. It's in her head. Just like Alaine.

Speaking of her, Alaine Chartrand was also in attendance. Her big trailer was parked in the lot, and she came in to the West arena for a bit at least. Interestingly Joshi Helgesson and Sonia Lafuente were also in attendance, cheering on their training mates and scouting the ladies' competition.

Though I have had my doubts about Michelle Long she has a performance quality that is really stellar. Her free skate to Nessun Dorma was quite moving. Her SP to k.d. lang's "Hallelujah" was also poignant. She needs more technical complexity, but all the praise I hear about Kaetlyn's beautiful skating could equally be applied to Michelle. I expect to see Michelle at Autumn Classic. She has shown she is deserving of that spot.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
how many ladies go to autumn classic?

- - - Updated - - -

anyone have a video of long? or videos?

From my understanding, 3 senior ladies. Probably 3 for each category, actually.

This channel has some videos.

Kim Decelles and Véronik Mallet have been assigned to the U.S. International FS Classic according to Kim's Instagram. Earlier Carol Lane mentioned Bent/Razgulajevs are going so that's three Canadian entries.

Sarah Tamura came second to Kelsey Wong in the senior ladies event at Sask Skate this past weekend. Emily Bausbeck won the junior ladies event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
here are the assignments for the first two events... maybe someone can guess who goes to autumn classic...

US International Classic
Sept. 14-17
Salt Lake City, U.S.A.
Ladies
Véronik Mallet
Kim Decelles
Men
Elladj Baldé
Mitchell Gordon
Pair
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
Brittany Jones/Joshua Reagan
Ice Dance
Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam
Mackenzie Bent/Dmitre Razgulajevs

Nebelhorn Trophy
Sept. 22-24
Oberstdorf, Germany
Ladies
Gabrielle Daleman
Men
Liam Firus
Pair
Lubov Ilyushechkina/Dylan Moscovitch
Ice Dance
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
COS Summer Skate at Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Does COS mean the Central Ontario Sectionals? Anyway here are fancam clips of Kaetlyn Osmond's performances at the event

COS stands for the Central Ontario Section. The province of Ontario is divided up into four sections: Skate Canada Western Ontario, Skate Canada Central Ontario, Skate Canada Eastern Ontario and Skate Canada Northern Ontario. :)

They refer to the competition as "COS Summer Skate" because the event takes place in Central Ontario and is hosted by a skating club belonging to the Central Ontario Section.

This is the last year for these four sections as they're going to be amalgamated into one big Skate Ontario section for the start of the 2017-18 skating season. But I digress.

Anyway, Kaetlyn, woooow!! Those programs. :love:

Last edited:

loretta007

Rinkside
I wanted to pass on some stuff from Summer Skate.

I encountered Kaetlyn and Coach Ravi in the lobby after they had picked up Kaetlyn's SP protocols. I was walking behind them and heard Kaetlyn wondering how the results would hold up internationally. I think the SP results were alright. The FS was underwhelming IMO. With the Axel issues and no 3-3 the mark seemed a bit generous as well. But this is a summer competition and she improved from her last one so thumbs up for that. She has already realized she needs to do a lot more to be competitive internationally. Or even make it to Worlds. From what I saw, it's no longer about the injury. It's in her head. Just like Alaine.

I would have expected a higher score for her SP considering Skate Canada used to be very generous with her PCS nationally. But then I saw the results of FS, fair enough:laugh:

BTW Does anyone know why Gabby has withdrawn from COS?

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I would have expected a higher score for her SP considering Skate Canada used to be very generous with her PCS nationally. But then I saw the results of FS, fair enough:laugh:

BTW Does anyone know why Gabby has withdrawn from COS?

They do her no favours by giving her PCS marks much higher than anything she has earned internationally. It's also unfair to Gabby and Alaine to get marked like they do by ISU judges, but Kaetlyn to get special treatment. Well, the girls earned their spots to Worlds regardless.

Gabby's posts on social media seem to indicate she's facing some difficulty. Likely an injury. Her brother competed in Thornhill so I think she would be there if it were possible.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gaby is on the list to compete at Nebelhorn (starts 9/22). Would Skate Canada have scheduled her if she were seriously injured? It's probably something relatively minor.