2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn only won Skate Canada once I thought.....

We were taking about the Nebelhorn competition which Gabby is assigned this year, but currently is injured. Kaetlyn in 2 appearances has won this event both times, besting skaters like Sotnikova, Nagasu, Leonova, Chartrand and Hicks in the process.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
how many ladies go to autumn classic? ...

From my understanding, 3 senior ladies. Probably 3 for each category, actually....

No limit on the number of entries from a Challenger host country, per the announcement for the Challenger series.
For other countries, the limit is three entries per discipline.

In 2014, the numbers of Canadian entries were four men, four dance couples, four pairs, and two ladies.

[I do not remember (and I have not bothered to try to ascertain) whether original 2014 assignments included additional ladies ... who ended up not competing for one reason or the other?? The 2014 entry list at the link above has two ladies from Canada.

In 2015, the Autumn Classic was not a Challenger comp, so I did not look at those numbers.]

Last edited:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
We were taking about the Nebelhorn competition which Gabby is assigned this year, but currently is injured. Kaetlyn in 2 appearances has won this event both times, besting skaters like Sotnikova, Nagasu, Leonova, Chartrand and Hicks in the process.
why aren't they sending her to try to gain that title again for a third time?? does not make sense IMO.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info ice coverage.

Gabby is likely not seriously injured or her assignment would have been given to someone else. Kaetlyn may get to go to Autumn Classic. Maybe Alaine too. An early season Canadian ladies showdown would be fun. They've managed to avoid each other so far in the summer competitions.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Other Challenge events listed on the Skate Canada International Assignments page:

Autumn Classic 9/29-10/1

Nepela 9/30-10/2

Finlandia 10/6-10

There is no need to schedule Kaetlyn and Alaine at the same competition the way they did last year at Nebelhorn.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ah whoops. Read it wrong. My bad.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
would they have alaine and kaetlyn compete against each other at both autumn classic and SC though?

If they were Russian they might! More competition breeds better competitors, isn't that how it goes? But likely that one will get Autumn Classic while another heads to Europe. There is no necessity to assign ladies to each of the international events and it's likely Skate Canada won't do that due to funding issues (and men who need their TES minimums) but they can split up the podium finishers at least. I'd like to see where Michelle Long goes.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Other Challenge events listed on the Skate Canada International Assignments page:

Autumn Classic 9/29-10/1

Nepela 9/30-10/2

Finlandia 10/6-10

There is no need to schedule Kaetlyn and Alaine at the same competition the way they did last year at Nebelhorn.

Same can be said of USFSA sending both Hicks and Nagasu to Nelbelhorn, last season.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US sends skaters to most Challenger events and even a few Bs. Canada doesn't send skaters out to nearly as many internationals as the US does; it seems this year they're targeting a few more than usual.

Lombardia, Nebelhorn, Nepela, US International, Autumn Classic and Finlandia are warmup competition for the GP. The US had nine ladies on the GP last year, so if each one got a warmup comp, some would have to be doubled up. Ladies who got just one GP last year (Nagasu, Bell, Wang) got more than one international assignment, although the second one was during the GP months. OTOH, Canada had just 4 ladies on the GP last year (and presumably this year as well). Given 5 international events on the Canadian schedule, it would seem it isn't necessary to double up the top Canadian ladies.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Kaetlyn Osmond is probably my favourite female skater right now. I really started to admire her last year at Skate Canada when she missed literally every jump and still performed her step sequence more than most competitors would do on any given day. It must be frustrating to keep being bothered by injury after injury and never able to get her mojo going. That being said, I worry a bit about this year's programs. I, like most of you, find her short program quite similar to her short program last year (and I think I preferred last year's, too). And while her long program is lovely and matches well with her fluid skating, I think it doesn't really give her room to do what she does best- perform. I thought she might go back to a program like her short at Sochi- fiery, engaging, and explosive. Maybe in the next Olympic year? If she can finally find her jumps this year, I'd be so so happy. They're huge when landed properly. Kaetlyn has the highest ceiling as far as scores are concerned- I think that when Kaetlyn is on, she has a star quality unmatched by her Canadian teammates.

I used to avoid watching Gabby's programs as I found her dull, but her Buenos Aires (or something) program last year surprised me- it suited her. Her 3T-3T is one of the best I've ever seen, and she looked to have found some consistency in her jumps late last season. I had no idea she developed arthritis, and hope it doesn't affect her too much this season.

I feel like Alaine is the odd one out in the threesome, and a lot of that has to do with her inconsistency. All three Canadians can be headcases but Alaine is REALLY severe. Thank God she got rid of the 3A, whenever she missed that to begin a program it seemed like she gave up on the rest of it. I liked her programs last year- she made Polina's GWTW program look like child's play. Maybe she can find her form this year.

Canadian Nationals is always interesting- it seems that the judges give Kaetlyn Osmond a bit of leeway with the PCS because they really want her on the world team. So the only way for Gabby and Alaine to beat her is to be perfect and hope she falters a bit- exactly what happened this year. I expect Kaetlyn to be sharper this season than she was last season, so if the judges continue to love her, I can't really see both Gabby and Alaine going to worlds in 2017. At this point I'd say Gabby is the favourite to repeat as champion, and Osmond for second. But all three of these ladies could do some serious damage at international events if they got their jumps together. GO CANADA!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Sarah Tamura posted that she's the recipient of a FACE grant from Petro Canada. Details are outlined in the article she linked and it's mentioned that Joseph Phan is another figure skating recipient this year. Previous figure skating recipients include Brianna Delmaestro and Nicholas Nadeau.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
very happy for her but she's not one of my favourites and I am going there... so i hope for other news from skaters I like a lot ;)
Long just posted she is going to autumn classic, not sure who else is going

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Olivia Gran yesterday and today skating in the St Gervais JGP. In the SP, her music went sour, but she kept on skating for about 30 seconds. Don't coaches tell their skaters what to do if something goes wrong with the music? Most skaters stop as soon as hear something other than what they expect.

Because of that, it wasn't clear as to when she should resume her program.