2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

moriel

Record Breaker
I think the Russian Fed would be smart to send Radionova but I also think that it's better for Radionova if she can work on her issues, so that she can come back strong next season.

I think sending Radio would be a wrong thing to do: currently, russian Fed shows some faith in their skaters. For example, when Anna performed badly at euros, she was not removed from World team.
Demanding perfect skates on both Euros and Worlds would backfire - the competition is already too strong, why break the girls nerves even more with a "do 1 mistake and we replace you".

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think sending Radio would be a wrong thing to do: currently, russian Fed shows some faith in their skaters. For example, when Anna performed badly at euros, she was not removed from World team.
Demanding perfect skates on both Euros and Worlds would backfire - the competition is already too strong, why break the girls nerves even more with a "do 1 mistake and we replace you".
I agree. And when I think about it - if the top two do well the result of the 3rd Russian skater isn't all that important anway. Everything but three spots at the next Olympics would be a huge surprise in any case.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
How important is Daniil Gleichengauz in the team Tutberidze for Medvedeva and Zagitova?

I think he's doing what Eteri does, but at this point there are so many students at this skating club, Eteri can't follow them every single time: so he's a former ice dancer too and he can choreograph all those programs for their junior skaters. (and sometimes even seniors)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just watched both Elena and Liza's Winter Universiade sp and think both are doing fine. Liza seems to have better jump qualities but Elena has better performance and spins. If they do better in the LP here than their national LPs, would one of them be considered to replace Maria for Worlds?

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Just watched both Elena and Liza's Winter Universiade sp and think both are doing fine. Liza seems to have better jump qualities but Elena has better performance and spins. If they do better in the LP here than their national LPs, would one of them be considered to replace Maria for Worlds?
possible but I don't like this idea....
I think Maria deserve her chance for World team.

moriel

Record Breaker
For now, Sotskova scored 72 at her Europeans SP, thats still more than Radio and Liza got at Universiade.

Ugh, actually quite annoyed with it. When its about people's darlings, there is an outcry "omg russian teen are expendable, russian FED is evil and don't support their own, blablabla".
When it comes to Sotskova - and she is boring, poor thing - who had better SP at Europeans (still) , people are already considering it, everywhere "lets replace her for ***".
People keep sayin "Maria crumbled under pressure", and then forget that, for example, her Europeans "meltdown" score was still higher than any score Liza ever received this season.

I would like to just point out something. Last year, at Europeans, Anna Pogorilaya did not so well. She was 3rd (and Caro was not skating, else she could have ended up 4th). And yeah, people wanted her to be replaced by Lipnitskaya or Tuktamysheva. Russian FED didn't and it was totally worth it - she won another 3rd place at worlds.

madison

Record Breaker
For now, Sotskova scored 72 at her Europeans SP, thats still more than Radio and Liza got at Universiade.

Ugh, actually quite annoyed with it. When its about people's darlings, there is an outcry "omg russian teen are expendable, russian FED is evil and don't support their own, blablabla".
When it comes to Sotskova - and she is boring, poor thing - who had better SP at Europeans (still) , people are already considering it, everywhere "lets replace her for ***".
People keep sayin "Maria crumbled under pressure", and then forget that, for example, her Europeans "meltdown" score was still higher than any score Liza ever received this season.

I would like to just point out something. Last year, at Europeans, Anna Pogorilaya did not so well. She was 3rd (and Caro was not skating, else she could have ended up 4th). And yeah, people wanted her to be replaced by Lipnitskaya or Tuktamysheva. Russian FED didn't and it was totally worth it - she won another 3rd place at worlds.

Actually, I think that the Fed will send Sostkova to Worlds, although I would much enjoy to see Radi there.
But anyway, given the deep of the Russian field, I doubt that Sostkova will receive another chance next year, when both Alina and Polina will be seniors. That's why it's a pitty for her that she didn't grab that bronze at Euros. In Russia, you have only a chance and you'd better take it at the right moment.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Actually, I think that the Fed will send Sostkova to Worlds, although I would much enjoy to see Radi there.
But anyway, given the deep of the Russian field, I doubt that Sostkova will receive another chance next year, when both Alina and Polina will be seniors. That's way it's a pitty for her that she didn't grab that bronze at Euros. In Russia, you have only a chance and you'd better take it at the right moment.

Yup, i agree.
I just get upset when people want to be too evil by hoping to have skaters ditched at first mistake =)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It's impossible to make everyone happy no matter who they choose. I don't really think it makes a difference to the team (except to the skater and that skater's fans, obviously) because Russia will not be in danger of losing 3 spots with Evgenia & Anna there. Barring some crazy disaster, of course. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I suppose Maria does deserve a chance to go - Elena's been twice already, got herself a medal & didn't do great last year...

moriel

Record Breaker
It's impossible to make everyone happy no matter who they choose. I don't really think it makes a difference to the team (except to the skater and that skater's fans, obviously) because Russia will not be in danger of losing 3 spots with Evgenia & Anna there. Barring some crazy disaster, of course. Both have their pluses and minuses, but I suppose Maria does deserve a chance to go - Elena's been twice already, got herself a medal & didn't do great last year...

The disaster has to be really crazy. I mean, Evgenia will be in top 3 whatever happens. Whatever happens, one of the two other ladies will be in top 10. In 2016, a 180s score would be enough to secure the second spot. Maria got more than that at europeans when she crumbled.
I mean, dunno, maybe if they ban all russian ladies from worlds or something like that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Elena's total score here was far behind what Caro had at Europeans, so I doubt she would replace Maria. Liza had a meltdown in the LP and barely scored over 100.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just watched both Liza and Elena's LP at Winter Universiade and it is pretty clear now neither of them will go to Worlds. Not sure if the ice there is to blame, but Liza may have had the most falls in a single program in her career:( Elena started very strong and then started to fall and fall:(

Imagine

Medalist
^It's kind of a meaningless competition anyway...and Elena only fell once? But yikes...terrible.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^It's kind of a meaningless competition anyway...and Elena only fell once? But yikes...terrible.

Where and when was this competition held? When you guys say Liza, do you mean Tuk? I'm so confused? :confused2:

winky97

Medalist
Where and when was this competition held? When you guys say Liza, do you mean Tuk? I'm so confused? :confused2:

It was in Kazakhstan. It's the Universiade. It's like a mini Olympics for college students and is a multi sport event. Ladies figure skating started Wedsday with SP and finished today. The reference to Liza is Tuk.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It was in Kazakhstan. It's the Universiade. It's like a mini Olympics for college students and is a multi sport event. Ladies figure skating started Wedsday with SP and finished today. The reference to Liza is Tuk.

Thanks winky97........It sounds like Tuk didn't skate well. I think back 2 years and Tuk and Gracie were the talk of the town. Now, it seems like they're fading out after shinning so brightly. Especially Tuk, She was the Champion of Everything!!

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sadly Liza and her teammates in her generation are fading out gradually from the center stage of the competitions.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks winky97........It sounds like Tuk didn't skate well. I think back 2 years and Tuk and Gracie were the talk of the town. Now, it seems like they're fading out after shinning so brightly. Especially Tuk, She was the Champion of Everything!!

mrrice - I posted the short programs here:

http://goldenskate.com/forum/showth...dies-skating&p=1626054&viewfull=1#post1626054

Both Liza and Elena skated them quite well - Alena had a problem; however I understand her free skate was better, so, as a fan of hers, you might find it worthwhile to seek it out.:)

Note: As a Liza fan I hope no one will expect me to post her free skate! I haven't even seen it yet... :(