2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Men's skating

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't they'll need to prop him up. After seeing them drop Maria B in the 90's, I don't think they'll prop up any skater who doesn't work hard. Look at Tuk, she was the defending World Champion and they didn't even hold her up at Nationals. I think the skaters in Russia are well aware of the depth in their country and they, along with their coaches, know that they need to bring it or they will quickly be replaced. It's a blessing and a curse to be from such a strong Fed.

Tukt is a different scenario. She's not just dropped out of more talented skaters coming up, but also out of a lack of desire after winning Worlds. The Russian fed will drop a skater if they feel they have a better one in the wings - and there's certainly no shortage in ladies. They will particularly drop a skater who is past their prime, although there are exceptions if the skater is incredibly popular (see: Plushenko) or fights to stay relevant with decent enough results (see: Menshov/Leonova). The "problem" with Russian men's skating is that there is no superstar, so this means that anyone can claim top spot and Federation favourability, as long as they skate well (imagine the concept of being rewarded for skating well!).

ewdokia

On the Ice
What kind of injury did Adian exactly have? All I'm hearing is always back injury or chronic pain, but did he have a fracture? or a herniated disc?
I posted some information on Adian’s injury here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...w-05-05-2017&p=1731924&viewfull=1#post1731924
It looks like in the end it was a muscle inflammation caused by skating for a very long time with an uncured back injury which forced him to retire from single skating as those muscles don’t work any longer as sufficient as they should (which prevents him from doing quads again).

For those who like him I’m currently preparing a fan project for Adian, which is basically collecting messages from his fans with good luck wishes for anything that will follow his career in single skating. You can find details here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?50236-Adian-Pitkeev&p=1745569&viewfull=1#post1745569
And feel free to send me a PM. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Propping won't help if he doesn't skate well. If he skates well, he won't need propping. As I've said, competition isn't the toughest at CoR - for Aliev too. It's all in their hands.

Uh, have you seen what COR is like in an Olympic season?! They will do their darnedest to get him on the podium, even if he bombs the FS a la Lipnitskaia in 2013. I'm thinking 43/90 PCS for Kolyada regardless of how he skates there. But it likely won't be enough to beat a technically stacked Hanyu and Chen.

Kovtun is also screwed on his GPF chances but if he gets it together I could picture him challenging for a bronze medal at Skate America - obviously won't beat Chen and unless Jin skates like Skate America last year, which I doubt, he'll be tough to beat too. He could even get bronze at Skate Canada if Brown is a bust (which is a possibility given he's in uncharted technical terriotory with the multi-quad attempts). More than the placements though the head to head with Samarin and Voronov will be very important.

I actually think Kolyada got the harder GP placements though, facing Hanyu and Chen at COR (and I'm sure Aliev wants bronze too), and Jin and Fernandez (and Zhou who could push him off the podium) at CoC.

At this point I don't see any Russian man making the GPF. But a lot could have happened over the summer so who knows! If Kolyada has a quad lutz and Kovtun has a renewed hunger to actually compete they could make more of a splash than I'm anticipating. And of course there are the new Russians who could have added quads but I don't know if they'll get the PCS, coming out of juniors.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Uh, have you seen what COR is like in an Olympic season?! They will do their darnedest to get him on the podium, even if he bombs the FS a la Lipnitskaia in 2013. I'm thinking 43/90 PCS for Kolyada regardless of how he skates there. But it likely won't be enough to beat a technically stacked Hanyu and Chen.

Kovtun is also screwed on his GPF chances but if he gets it together I could picture him challenging for a bronze medal at Skate America - obviously won't beat Chen and unless Jin skates like Skate America last year, which I doubt, he'll be tough to beat too. He could even get bronze at Skate Canada if Brown is a bust (which is a possibility given he's in uncharted technical terriotory with the multi-quad attempts). More than the placements though the head to head with Samarin and Voronov will be very important.

I actually think Kolyada got the harder GP placements though, facing Hanyu and Chen at COR (and I'm sure Aliev wants bronze too), and Jin and Fernandez (and Zhou who could push him off the podium) at CoC.

At this point I don't see any Russian man making the GPF. But a lot could have happened over the summer so who knows! If Kolyada has a quad lutz and Kovtun has a renewed hunger to actually compete they could make more of a splash than I'm anticipating. And of course there are the new Russians who could have added quads but I don't know if they'll get the PCS, coming out of juniors.

Skate America and Skate Canada are no less than that even outside the Olympic season, and honestly even NHK (remember Mao Asada inflation right before Sochi)

Maxim Kovtun has no chances to grab a medal at Skate America unless everyone skates bad, but even in that case they will underscore the heck of his PCS (and nothing for the GOE) in order to leave him out anyway, because some US male skater usually have such a terrible TES (low bv + mistakes) that you need an outside help to push them.

This is the reality for russian male skaters in US: as a case in point, watch Adian Pitkeev SP at Skate America, that is to me one of the most controversial score of the past few years in figure skating. For the records it wasn't a great SP event, most of the skater did have problems with the quad, Adian was one of the few who skated a clean program:

4T, big, clean and fully rotated (he did a couple of turns before for the required steps sequence) -> -0.69 for no reasons: -1, -2 and even a -3 out of nowhere.

3A clean, lots of speed coming in and spread eagle right after, you'd think that's a +1 and +2 -> nope, 0 and +1.

slight wobble in the combination spin, usually that's a couple of -1 in the GOE because the level is there and there was even the difficult entry -> nope, downgrade spin (very nitpicking)

stsq3 -> the 11 turns were there, there was the complexity, honestly even this one it's difficult to understand.

The rest just the base value, mostly zero -> "done, no rewards for you".

35.54 the PCS, frankly speaking simply BS: the lowest of the top ten, the lowest skating skills, the rest mostly 6 and 7 (even a 5), 3 points lower than Max Aaron which is again nonsense: Adian is a far far better skater.

The total score: 79,90, 6th place behind Shoma Uno (who fell on the quad), 7 points behind Yan Han who had the same elements (with an hands down on the combo so technically worse than Adian), and just about ahead of Denis Ten and Jason Brown who skated terribly there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9h2-AmdNg

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpusa2015/gpusa2015_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

After that (and other few similar cases) i think even russian skaters understood that going to Skate America (and arguagbly Skate Canada) means no chances to medal no matter what.

What Lipnitskaia received at COR is nothing in comparison (63 points on the components is slightly above what she received at SC) especially if you think that mostly everyone skated a bad free skate there (or not enough to win), so she would have won at least the silver even without the minor inflation.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I was reading the protocols posted above and noticed Russia had a man, Menshov, doing a 2-quad SP all the way back in 2015? At 32 years old. :eeking: That's pretty impressive.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I was reading the protocols posted above and noticed Russia had a man, Menshov, doing a 2-quad SP all the way back in 2015? At 32 years old. :eeking: That's pretty impressive.

Yes that is technically even worse: Menshov had the best SP, 5 points higher on the bv than the rest of the field and still managed to finish third after the SP with a TES less than a point above Aaron.

However they could complain on Menshov's brave choice of music, or the fact that he's possibly the most screwed skater in the history of figure skating (not just in America).

My point being: all the major countries (including Canada) push their skaters at their home GP event screwing the rest of the field, and sometimes they are even worse than Russia.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Skate America and Skate Canada are no less than that even outside the Olympic season, and honestly even NHK (remember Mao Asada inflation right before Sochi)

Maxim Kovtun has no chances to grab a medal at Skate America unless everyone skates bad, but even in that case they will underscore the heck of his PCS (and nothing for the GOE) in order to leave him out anyway, because some US male skater usually have such a terrible TES (low bv + mistakes) that you need an outside help to push them.

This is the reality for russian male skaters in US: as a case in point, watch Adian Pitkeev SP at Skate America, that is to me one of the most controversial score of the past few years in figure skating. For the records it wasn't a great SP event, most of the skater did have problems with the quad, Adian was one of the few who skated a clean program:

4T, big, clean and fully rotated (he did a couple of turns before for the required steps sequence) -> -0.69 for no reasons: -1, -2 and even a -3 out of nowhere.

3A clean, lots of speed coming in and spread eagle right after, you'd think that's a +1 and +2 -> nope, 0 and +1.

slight wobble in the combination spin, usually that's a couple of -1 in the GOE because the level is there and there was even the difficult entry -> nope, downgrade spin (very nitpicking)

stsq3 -> the 11 turns were there, there was the complexity, honestly even this one it's difficult to understand.

The rest just the base value, mostly zero -> "done, no rewards for you".

35.54 the PCS, frankly speaking simply BS: the lowest of the top ten, the lowest skating skills, the rest mostly 6 and 7 (even a 5), 3 points lower than Max Aaron which is again nonsense: Adian is a far far better skater.

The total score: 79,90, 6th place behind Shoma Uno (who fell on the quad), 7 points behind Yan Han who had the same elements (with an hands down on the combo so technically worse than Adian), and just about ahead of Denis Ten and Jason Brown who skated terribly there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9h2-AmdNg

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpusa2015/gpusa2015_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

After that (and other few similar cases) i think even russian skaters understood that going to Skate America (and arguagbly Skate Canada) means no chances to medal no matter what.

What Lipnitskaia received at COR is nothing in comparison (63 points on the components is slightly above what she received at SC) especially if you think that mostly everyone skated a bad free skate there (or not enough to win), so she would have won at least the silver even without the minor inflation.

Adian suffered the issue of being a junior turned senior. And that opening quad landed on the toe pick for a scratchy landing. It was a nice-looking quad but judges will notice things like that (and a scratchy toe pick landing could result in them not giving GOE bullets for flow/effortlessness). And again he was just out of juniors and the judges have a tendency to underscore (or rather, not overscore) GOE for those skaters compared to GOE gifts they give the top guys (who, to be fair, also hit more GOE bullets). Levels are levels too - a wobble in a spin might seem minor but they can compromise a position or feature being called. And that is usually called across the board for all skaters. A shame Adian got injured. He had potential, as seen here. But I don't think he was unfairly scored. Certainly at COR they judges "made up" for it.

Also, the 63 points PCS Lipnitskaia received at the COR 2013 FS was a personal best for her at the time. With that hot mess of a FS. Yes she would have won silver, but Kostner could have won gold (and maybe a trip to the GPF, can't remember exactly). IIRC, the Russians B/S faltered in ice dance but still weren't particularly penalized either.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Regardless of bias, I think scoring at Rostelecom is likely to be a bit different this season. It is first.

And a good many human beings are not at their best during the first Grand Prix.

What's more, the judges for every GP event after it will already know the numbers that have been thrown out in Russia. Scores tend to rise as the GP unfolds. It is one of the major reasons that scores from Skate America often do not hold up and win ties into the GPF.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
So are we keeping this thread for this season too?

Anyway, I'd say if the news coming out today is solid, then we're going to have a very good season on our hands. Both Kolyada and Dima seem to be very promising, if they can deliver like this on the FS front too.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
So are we keeping this thread for this season too?

Anyway, I'd say if the news coming out today is solid, then we're going to have a very good season on our hands. Both Kolyada and Dima seem to be very promising, if they can deliver like this on the FS front too.
Somebody should really start a new thread.

Dima isn't skating the FS in this competition, unfortunately. But for this time in the season they both look very good. We haven't seen the other contenders yet, of course, but I'd much rather have them than Kovtun and Samarin at the top, the quality of skating is so much better. I am also hoping for Lazukin to do well, but he probably won't beat the top guys as of yet.