2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Men Figure Skating

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:biggrin::laugh: the fangirls around here make me giggle. Get over it...move on with your lives...:rolleye:

I'm sure that'd be the tune you'd be singing if the judges, fans and federation had spent the last four years beating up your skater from pillar to post, even going so far as to blatantly rob him of a national title, refusing to acknowledge any of the work he's done to improve his own skating, and having everyone immediately throw him on the trash heap while now busily applauding a couple of kids for doing everything that he's been lambasted for doing...no?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm sure that'd be the tune you'd be singing if the judges, fans and federation had spent the last four years beating up your skater from pillar to post, even going so far as to blatantly rob him of a national title, refusing to acknowledge any of the work he's done to improve his own skating, and having everyone immediately throw him on the trash heap while now busily applauding a couple of kids for doing everything that he's been lambasted for doing...no?

Been there done that karne. Max hasn't whined one bit about his results, so maybe some should follow suit, no? I agree that he should have placed higher in some competitions, as other skaters should in separate competitions, but for goodness sakes let it go already!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Been there done that karne. Max hasn't whined one bit about his results, so maybe some should follow suit, no?

You're right, Max never complains. He'd never roll his eyes at a camera because he didn't agree with a score. He'd never sit to one side sulking and not congratulating the winner. He'd never retweet a bunch of nasty comments about his competitors just because he got beaten.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Can we quit with insulting either Jason or Adam? They are both wonderful. Sure we all have favorites but that doesn't mean the other one is worthless. The judges are going to reward whoever has the best showing. That doesn't mean that anyone needs "re-training". I found both Jason and Adam's LPs this year equally magical.

The men's field this year is going to be amazing. I just hope that all the skaters skate to their potential. There are going to be deserving skaters left off the team- I just hope they can all look back on the season with the knowledge they held nothing back and did everything they could do.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You're right, Max never complains. He'd never roll his eyes at a camera because he didn't agree with a score. He'd never sit to one side sulking and not congratulating the winner. He'd never retweet a bunch of nasty comments about his competitors just because he got beaten.

I agree with every word in this comment. I think Max wants to prove it on the ice just likes he's always done. I have never seen him act anything less than humble. Even when he wins, he just smiles that big smile of his and waves at the crowd. I have never seen him throw shade, or be rude to anyone, ever. Most of you know that when I like a skater, I will follow and borderline stalk them..;) Max is just a good guy. He always seems genuinely happy for whoever wins and didn't sulk on the podium in 2016, when some people thought he was going win his second Championship. After just missing the team in 2014, I know he really wants make the team and skate at the Olympics.

To me, that's all he cares about. He knows that being rude to other skaters will do nothing to elevate his scores and certainly won't improve his skating. At this point, with exception of Nathan, ALL the senior contenders have been around since the last Olympics and for them, this is their last opportunity to make the team. I don't think we should speculate about personality differences as they have no effect on anything.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I predict one of Jason or Adam makes the Olympic team but not both. The way I see it, Nathan will get one spot, Jason or Adam will get the 2nd, and Vincent/Max/Josh or some other wildcard will get the 3rd spot.

Of course if one or both of Jason or Adam is consistently landing & rotating quads in competition come this fall, then I think they could both make the team.

andromache

Record Breaker
I predict one of Jason or Adam makes the Olympic team but not both. The way I see it, Nathan will get one spot, Jason or Adam will get the 2nd, and Vincent/Max/Josh or some other wildcard will get the 3rd spot.

Of course if one or both of Jason or Adam is consistently landing & rotating quads in competition come this fall, then I think they could both make the team.

This is what I foresee as well. I love both Jason and Adam so much - but I think I have to give the advantage to Jason for now. He's going into this season with momentum, and he definitely has the skating skills over Adam (I consider them equals on pretty much everything else.)

Max needs to get some consistency. He's no longer one of the big tech guys like Nathan and maybe Vincent, and though he's always had stronger tech than Jason and Adam, really, it's been his lack of consistency that has been holding him back for the past few seasons. If he goes out and lands his planned content he'll be fine.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of Max. Have any of you ever seen standing up without his skates on? I was looking for his height and he's been reported as tall as 5'7" and as short as 4'10". I can't imagine that he is under 5 feet tall. Do we know his "real" height?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Speaking of Max. Have any of you ever seen standing up without his skates on? I was looking for his height and he's been reported as tall as 5'7" and a short as 4'10". I can't imagine that he is under 5 feet tall. Do we know his "real" height?

I have, in person. He's definitely not under five feet, he's not that tiny, but there's no way he's only an inch shorter than me, he's smaller than that. He is a very TinyBat. I'd guess somewhere around 5'4" or 5'5". Maybe 5'7" with his skates on, hahahaha...

He's also very slender. Not an ounce of fat on him anywhere, but also, he doesn't look as "big" off the ice as he does on it. It was a real eye-opener to see in person just how tiny he actually is, but also to see how big he projects on the ice as a result.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have, in person. He's definitely not under five feet, he's not that tiny, but there's no way he's only an inch shorter than me, he's smaller than that. He is a very TinyBat. I'd guess somewhere around 5'4" or 5'5". Maybe 5'7" with his skates on, hahahaha...

He's also very slender. Not an ounce of fat on him anywhere, but also, he doesn't look as "big" off the ice as he does on it. It was a real eye-opener to see in person just how tiny he actually is, but also to see how big he projects on the ice as a result.

Thank you for answering me question. You know, I have seen some tiny skaters over the years. Armin Mahbanoozadeh is easily the smallest male skater I have ever seen. Followed closely by cute little Keegan Messing. The smallest lady is without a doubt, Kristi Yamaguchi. Followed by Tonya Harding, Kyoko Ina, and the gorgeous Jamie Sale'. I guess it's safe to assume that most pair ladies are tiny.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you for answering me question. You know, I have seen some tiny skaters over the years. Armin Mahbanoozadeh is easily the smallest male skater I have ever seen. Followed closely by cute little Keegan Messing. The smallest lady is without a doubt, Kristi Yamaguchi. Followed by Tonya Harding, Kyoko Ina, and the gorgeous Jamie Sale'. I guess it's safe to assume that most pair ladies are tiny.

I am 5' 6" and met Max at Worlds Boston 2016.. he was a bit taller than me - wearing sneakers - but he, tho slim is solid, well filled out, a physical presence. I was shocked at how small Jin Boyang, Javier Fernandez, and Ashley Wagner were.. they always appear so large on screen. Yuzaru was taller and more solid than I expected... Gracie Gold was taller than expected and so beautiful. Frank was a pleasant surprise, looking very dapper and quite fit... but the biggest surprise was Mao. :bow: ... quite tall, beautiful in a quiet way, almost ethereal and her coach devoted, waited for her at the foot of the hotel escalators for ages it seemed (same for Frank with Gracie..)

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's amazing how different they appear up close and personal. I was surprised at how much bigger Jin seemed to me at the Helsinki practice. He seemed to have filled out and grown since Sk Amer. Gracie seemed tall and willowy to me. Ashley was very small, even while wearing boots with a higher heel. Standing next to Shoma, he seems like a little elf. I am about 5'2", and I'd say that's his height too. Same for his countryman Nobunari Oda. I was so excited to meet Max Aaron, I never thought about his height. :scard7:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's amazing how different they appear up close and personal. I was surprised at how much bigger Jin seemed to me at the Helsinki practice. He seemed to have filled out and grown since Sk Amer. Gracie seemed tall and willowy to me. Ashley was very small, even while wearing boots with a higher heel. Standing next to Shoma, he seems like a little elf. I am about 5'2", and I'd say that's his height too. Same for his countryman Nobunari Oda. I was so excited to meet Max Aaron, I never thought about his height. :scard7:

Ashley is quite small in person. I think it's her perfect posture and strong performance quality that make her appear much taller on screen. Have a look at this picture of Ross Miner. Ross is listed at 5'9" and if that is true, than Daisuke and Patrick are clearly very small indeed. Do skates very in height? I haven't ever spoken to Patrick Chan but, I have seen him up close in his skates. In this picture, Ross seems tower over the other skaters. I have to wonder if they are standing on a level surface. http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/11/8f/d668b72c1b5fb1af701e43bd726c1a60.jpg

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I have also met Max at an ice show a couple years ago and he was very small in person. I'm 5'5" and a half when I stand up really straight and we were very similar in height, the ISU bio that lists him at 5'8" is being very generous. I'd say he's about 5'6". His body frame is also very small and compact, similar to a gymnast.

Given Max's size, I can only imagine how small Shoma Uno is in person...probably no more than 5'2" judging from this picture. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/40/05/b9/4005b9b39a5821cf68e349247ec3ba9e.jpg

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have also met Max at an ice show a couple years ago and he was very small in person. I'm 5'5" and a half when I stand up really straight and we were very similar in height, the ISU bio that lists him at 5'8" is being very generous. I'd say he's about 5'6". His body frame is also very small and compact, similar to a gymnast.

Given Max's size, I can only imagine how small Shoma Uno is in person...probably no more than 5'2" judging from this picture. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/40/05/b9/4005b9b39a5821cf68e349247ec3ba9e.jpg

That picture is great example of how tall Max really is. I have seen Jason and Joshua Farris in person several times. Jason was shorter than Joshua and I know that Joshua is listed at 5'9" but, that's simply not true. I'm 5'9 1/2 and in my cowboy boots, I'm just under 6ft. When Joshua is out of his skates, I'd say he's closer to 5'6". When I crashed into Jason Brown, he was wearing tennis shoes and he is definitely not 5'9". I had to look down to see who it was and I think even 5'7" is a generous number for Jason. The tallest Junior back then was probably Shotaro Omori who is also listed at 5'9" :confused2:

Here's a picture of Armin standing with Oda and Takahashi. As you can see...They are all tiny. Armin appears to be the tallest and he is very small in person. http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nobunari+Oda+Armin+Mahbanoozadeh+2010+Skate+MDdxgs2-faUl.jpg

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
That picture is great example of how tall Max really is. I have seen Jason and Joshua Farris in person several times. Jason was shorter than Joshua and I know that Joshua is listed at 5'9" but, that's simply not true. I'm 5'9 1/2 and in my cowboy boots, I'm just under 6ft. When Joshua is out of his skates, I'd say he's closer to 5'6". When I crashed into Jason Brown, he was wearing tennis shoes and he is definitely not 5'9". I had to look down to see who it was and I think even 5'7" is a generous number for Jason. The tallest Junior back then was probably Shotaro Omori who is also listed at 5'9" :confused2:

Here's a picture of Armin standing with Oda and Takahashi. As you can see...They are all tiny. Armin appears to be the tallest and he is very small in person. http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nobunari+Oda+Armin+Mahbanoozadeh+2010+Skate+MDdxgs2-faUl.jpg

Estimating height for skaters is so tough - they can look very tall on the ice, depending on posture/body type/proportions! And considering we usually see them in photos with other skaters....they can look like they are average or above-average height when in reality they are below average. Josh and Jason both look tall, especially Jason, because he is pretty lanky.

Shoma is one of the few who actually looks short on the ice - I think he might have a big head (which I don't mean in a mocking or cruel way!). Plus his baby face.

Ashley and Liza T. are both two tiny ladies who never looked very tiny on ice. I think it's something to do with their physical proportions?

I just looked up Evan Lysacek's height because he is notoriously tall. 6'2". What a giant! But really, if you don't see him standing next to anyone, on ice he doesn't seem any taller than Jason Brown or Evgeni Plushenko, for example.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I wouldn't doubt Josh being tiny in person, his build is the primarily reason he looks taller. His legs are long and thin. That being said, he is still considerably taller than Han Yan and Denis Ten. Those two always looked pretty small to me but I guess this further confirms it! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/37/a3/fc/37a3fc91cd3602b19b76a166eb5193c3.jpg

Also CBC kept saying all season that Jin had a growth spurt, so it would make sense if he looked bigger at Worlds. He still looks small and very slender though. Nathan Chen is also tiny and that's after a big growth spurt!