2016 Rio: Volleyball | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

alebi

Medalist
Well. I don't think the maths will be tricky to do now. :) sure, Italy rested some great players but Canada still needed to win it. Wow. A shocker.

Honestly not. Italy only rested the two middle blockers that got injured during previous matches and since you bring only 3 MBs at the Olympics, we had to play with a spiker in the middle. And then all the strategies are gone... :eek:hwell:
I hoped our coach could give a rest to Juantorena (who's recovering from an injury) but he stayed on the court.
But it's clear that Italians played relaxed.

At least I could finally watch Luca Vettori :love: :love: :love: ahahahahah

So... quarter finals (tomorrow) are:

Italy - Iran
USA - Poland
Canada - Russia
Brazil - Argentina

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly not. Italy only rested the two middle blockers that got injured during previous matches and since you bring only 3 MBs at the Olympics, we had to play with a spiker in the middle. And then all the strategies are gone... :eek:hwell:
I hoped our coach could give a rest to Juantorena (who's recovering from an injury) but he stayed on the court.
But it's clear that Italians played relaxed.

At least I could finally watch Luca Vettori :love: :love: :love: ahahahahah

So... quarter finals (tomorrow) are:

Italy - Iran
USA - Poland
Canada - Russia
Brazil - Argentina

The commentators from Canada were hoping Canada would play Argentina in quarters.... somehow I think winning and finishing 2nd of the group wasn't so great.... haha... oh well....

regarding Italy... yeah... the commentators said so, that Canada just needed to play up the middle... and they did... but honestly, if Italy didn't serve that badly, if could have been different.... :)

The Italians said in the media they had a hard time playing because their ranking was established but they still gave 100%.... I don't know if that's true... but they cannot say otherwise as pool ranking rigging has been punished in the past in badminton I think ;) (might have been at commonwealth games though I seem to remember this vaguely)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The commentators from Canada were hoping Canada would play Argentina in quarters.... somehow I think winning and finishing 2nd of the group wasn't so great.... haha... oh well....

regarding Italy... yeah... the commentators said so, that Canada just needed to play up the middle... and they did... but honestly, if Italy didn't serve that badly, if could have been different.... :)

The Italians said in the media they had a hard time playing because their ranking was established but they still gave 100%.... I don't know if that's true... but they cannot say otherwise as pool ranking rigging has been punished in the past in badminton I think ;) (might have been at commonwealth games though I seem to remember this vaguely)

You don't follow Volleyball much, do you? Your comentators were right. Canada had no chances to play Iran (presumably the weakest) due to Iran 4th place. Argentina ended up with exactly same points as Poland, so first place was only due to better sets difference. Russia is still current Olympic Champion and Poland is current World Champion. Argentina has never won any major title (OG, WC or even World League). If Argentina lost a set or two in last match, Poland would be first and Canada had chances to play against her. Or if Canada had ended up in last place. Of course, both Poland and Russia wanted to play Canada as USA is considered much stronger team. Group stage doesn't really matter, you just need to advance. Russia loss to Argentina is looked as harmless accident, so is USA loss to Canada. Example: Australia just lost to Serbia in female Basketball match of QF, even tough Australia had won their group (and all their matches) and Serbia advanced from 4th place. And I think Brazil is still considered a stronger oponnent than Argentina even with them finishing fourth in group. Of course, it may change and sometimes teams have tournament of life and win, even if no one considered them medal contender, but well, no one consider Argentina as medal contender yet. And Russia is a heavy favourite in their match. They may only lose to Canada if they will underestimated them and play bad.

Last edited:

sneakers

Match Penalty
Mens indoor volleyball quarterfinals:

Canada vs Russian Federation
United States vs Poland
Italy vs Iran
Brazil vs Argentina

good luck :hopelessness:

Im also loving beach volleyball
the sets are quick and it finishes very fast

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i really don't . :) canada is not a powerhouse in volleyball... they qualified in the last chance tournament but since then, they have been playing really well... but at least, our commentators are good as you pointed out :)
You don't follow Volleyball much, do you? Your comentators were right. Canada had no chances to play Iran (presumably the weakest) due to Iran 4th place. Argentina ended up with exactly same points as Poland, so first place was only due to better sets difference. Russia is still current Olympic Champion and Poland is current World Champion. Argentina has never won any major title (OG, WC or even World League). If Argentina lost a set or two in last match, Poland would be first and Canada had chances to play against her. Or if Canada had ended up in last place. Of course, both Poland and Russia wanted to play Canada as USA is considered much stronger team. Group stage doesn't really matter, you just need to advance. Russia loss to Argentina is looked as harmless accident, so is USA loss to Canada. Example: Australia just lost to Serbia in female Basketball match of QF, even tough Australia had won their group (and all their matches) and Serbia advanced from 4th place. And I think Brazil is still considered a stronger oponnent than Argentina even with them finishing fourth in group. Of course, it may change and sometimes teams have tournament of life and win, even if no one considered them medal contender, but well, no one consider Argentina as medal contender yet. And Russia is a heavy favourite in their match. They may only lose to Canada if they will underestimated them and play bad.

yude

Record Breaker
In women's, Japan lost to USA and our Olympics was over. I hope the team will be able to polish the setter and libero by the time of next Olympics in Tokyo.

It's always nice to see Karch Kiraly in USA team :luv17:

Naya

On the Ice
Brazil just lost to China in woman indoor volleyball, very dramatic game - 3 x 2. The crowd was terrible, booing the Chinese girls the whole time. I'm sad for Brazil, but kinda of satisfied on how strong China was.

sneakers

Match Penalty
serves them right for the boos :angry1:

Russian men lost becah volley to semis after such a thrilling event.
at least they can still fight for bronze

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've only seen first set of Russia - Serbia match in ladies, but woah, Russia seemed so helpless! I think I will cheer for Serbia to win Women tournament, as the Men Team couldn't qualify to Olympics due to some unreasosnable rules.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I've only seen first set of Russia - Serbia match in ladies, but woah, Russia seemed so helpless! I think I will cheer for Serbia to win Women tournament, as the Men Team couldn't qualify to Olympics due to some unreasosnable rules.

Serbia is also my pick for winner in womens or USA

sneakers

Match Penalty
I really can't stand this behaviour... :disapp:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! :eeking:

I have never such Olympics with so many boos,
its like they are using it as tactic for opponent countries to get distracted. :furious:

alebi

Medalist
its like they are using it as tactic for opponent countries to get distracted. :furious:

I agree... Unfortunately I agree :eek:hwell:

I love Brazilian people and Rio is such a beautiful city (ok, we all know the problems there, but the location is wonderful!!)

But I really got angry when they started to boos so many Champions.... You have the possibility to watch sports at their highest level and you only think about your country winning a medal, maybe with an athlete you don't even know before.... I'm really disappointed :(

p.s. sometimes in Italy it happens too, I'm not a hypocrite, but I still remember that during World Champs in Italy (in 2010), after Serbia defeated my team in the bronze medal match, everyone in the stadium gave a big and sincere applause to Nik Grbic ( :luv17: ) because it was his last match with Serbian team. When the audience is made by people who really care about that sport, you don't expect the things that happen when the audience is made by casual people

alebi

Medalist
A thing I really like in volleyball is that whistles are very common when an opponent is serving (it happens every week during the Italian league, while in Japan they usually make a very big noise) but when the match is over everyone is on the court trying to get an autograph or photo with every player and the players are usually really friendly.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

It's exactly that. Used in pretty much all team sports in Brazil - and that's why it infected some of the other sports too.

sneakers

Match Penalty
It's exactly that. Used in pretty much all team sports in Brazil - and that's why it infected some of the other sports too.

btw no athlete deserves to be booed, its not their fault they are here, they are only to compete !!
If you want to protest or make s scene; you could prefer a cold shoulder eerie silence.

booing is very classless and primative.