2016 Rio: Volleyball | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

sneakers

Match Penalty
I guess it was "better safe than sorry". Considering what they had been trying with Klishina, I can understand that. And Russia is good enough to win Olympics anyway. I wonder, has any team ever defended their Olympics title?

EDIT: I checked, and yes, Soviet Union and USA once did.

why ? American volley Maxwell Holt had a meldonium case yet if Markin gets banned he should have been too, his case would have been overturned anyways by CAS like Efimova or Klishina, anyways I guess it was more psychological, if he had to appeal then the team would have been stuck training thinking in their heads if they will even compete or will be a distraction psychologically.

alebi

Medalist
useless info (just for fun)

teams who reached the semifinals in the last 20 years (6 Olympics) are:

1996: Netherlands, Italy, Yugoslavia, Russia
2000: Yugoslavia, Russia, Italy, Argentina
2004: Brazil, Italy, Russia, USA
2008: USA, Brazil, Russia, Italy
2012: Russia, Brazil, Italy, Bulgaria
2016 (in alphabetical order): Brazil, Italy, Russia, USA

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
useless info (just for fun)

teams who reached the semifinals in the last 20 years (6 Olympics) are:

1996: Netherlands, Italy, Yugoslavia, Russia
2000: Yugoslavia, Russia, Italy, Argentina
2004: Brazil, Italy, Russia, USA
2008: USA, Brazil, Russia, Italy
2012: Russia, Brazil, Italy, Bulgaria
2016 (in alphabetical order): Brazil, Italy, Russia, USA

It's time for Italy to win :laugh:

alebi

Medalist
It's time for Italy to win :laugh:

ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock2:
Even after the good first round, I still don't believe we have "that something" to win. It's also a way to not raise too many expectations, after so many disillusions :sad14:

sneakers

Match Penalty
Even after the good first round, I still don't believe we have "that something" to win. It's also a way to not raise too many expectations, after so many disillusions :sad14:

Italy against USA. that will be tough
bring it on ! :hopelessness:

alebi

Medalist
Let's lower the tension and take a look at female's semifinal:

- Serbia vs USA
- China vs Netherlands

I hope for a whole European final. It would be EPIC! Something never happened before (except for 1980 but there was the boycott)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

That's true. I hate when media does all the hype and then an athlete/team fails, and everybody is unhappy. But I'll keep my fingers crossed tomorrow!

sneakers

Match Penalty
Let's lower the tension and take a look at female's semifinal:

- Serbia vs USA
- China vs Netherlands

I hope for a whole European final. It would be EPIC! Something never happened before (except for 1980 but there was the boycott)

this is possible but didn't USA beat Serbia in group stage

alebi

Medalist
That's true. I hate when media does all the hype and then an athlete/team fails, and everybody is unhappy. But I'll keep my fingers crossed tomorrow!

You know... the President of our National Olympic Committee said, before the beginning of Rio, that the most wanted gold was the one from our men's volleyball team..... :palmf:
I think that was NOT fair because the team was NO WAY among the favourites and everyone should have been aware of that (the President first of all). Especially to avoid what you call the "hype and fail" feelings.
If you have been a "protagonist" in the past, that doesn't mean that automatically you HAVE TO win something. Too many things change and happen during the years.
And that brings to what they have done till now, that is something REALLY unpredictable and then it's something to ALREADY appreciate no matter what the final result will be.
We have lived something totally unexpected after the last two troubled years. And at the end, if we won't win, we will have to show respect to this team and not think that, since we're Italy, we had the duty to earn a medal.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
this is possible but didn't USA beat Serbia in group stage

I think I said it like ten times, but I will say one more time. Group stage doesn't matter. You just need to advance to QF, that's all. That's why alebi is worried USA will take revenge on Italy in Men. Different day, different match. It's not a rare case that after loss in Groups Stage you win in Knock Out Stage, when it really matters.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I think I said it like ten times, but I will say one more time. Group stage doesn't matter. You just need to advance to QF, that's all. That's why alebi is worried USA will take revenge on Italy in Men. Different day, different match. It's not a rare case that after loss in Groups Stage you win in Knock Out Stage, when it really matters.

I know that, I was saying that psychologically it will be easier if you beat that team already and will put pressure on the other.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I know that, I was saying that psychologically it will be easier if you beat that team already and will put pressure on the other.

Not necessarily. The team that won once is expected to win second time, so there's pressure. The other team can only play better. And since at this stage you cannot lose, there's pressure to advance for both teams.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist

Especially when differences between teams are not so evident.

Anyway, in female I think USA is slightly favourite, especially because they have a "deep bench". Their substitutes are at the same level of the starting six.

That's the beauty of the sport: you always have a second chance :)

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Watching the first female match, i've just realized that even these four finalists come all from the same Group!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
omg, pls pls win
wont say the (name *---- insert) as not to jinx....

Not like anybody has doubts who you mean :p But Serbia won anyway. Told ya Group Stage doesn't matter.... To be fair, it was very close.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
can say it loudly now, SERBIA !!!!! :biggrin: :yahoo:

I'm curious, do you watch Volleyball other than Olympics? I rarely watch Ladies since the coverage in TV has much lessened ever since Polish Ladies stopped playing well...
Serbia has won with their heads. The Ladies kept it cool in tie break. I think they have chances in Final :)

sneakers

Match Penalty
I'm curious, do you watch Volleyball other than Olympics? I rarely watch Ladies since the coverage in TV has much lessened ever since Polish Ladies stopped playing well...
Serbia has won with their heads. The Ladies kept it cool in tie break. I think they have chances in Final :)

sometimes I watch World League and Grand Prix

but you know at the Olympics, teams get sort of magical powers and everything is possible
like in other sports, the Olympics is where the shocker comes.