2017–2018 Season Predictions Games | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017–2018 Season Predictions Games

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Back on topic, with JGP Brisbane starting in a couple of days, what's the status of the JGP prediction game?

Basically, although we had a few people volunteering to do scoring for the Junior GP Game, nobody volunteered to actually run it.

In a few days, I'm going away on holidays for 2 weeks, and won't be back until during the mid-Series break. So, I am not able to run the Game myself. Hence the appeal for help.

As for the days before I go away, I have been asked to update 3 specific Fan Fests in advance of articles about those skaters appearing. Plus, I wouldn't mind getting at least one of my own Fan Fests updated.

And on top of all that, it is British Grand Prix weekend! I'm not going, but I will certainly be watching on TV. ;) :biggrin:

Oh, and I haven't started packing yet. :eek:

So, all in all, I'm up to my eyes in it as it is. :drama:

Since I'm doing the senior GP prediction game this year, maybe we could still do something for the JGPF as a part of that, or as a bonus round or something.

That sounds like a really good idea. In fact, we could have the Junior GP Final as a round of the Junior ISU Game, because there aren't any other Junior Majors this season apart from Junior Worlds.

Thank you so much for all your hard work on the games. A long time ago I did organize/run the GP games one year and I remember how much work/commitment it was- I honestly am in awe of how much of this you've taken on.

Don't try to play down what you did, tulosai. You didn't just "organise/run" the GP Game. You actually created the format we use for ALL the Predictions Games!

Although some minor tweeks have been made here and there, it is still by-and-large exactly the same rules that are used today. And that is testament to the hard work you put in.

I am just upset because I feel that by there not being a Junior GP Game this year, I have let you and my immediate predecessor, Mrs. P, down.

CaroLiza_fan

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm more than happy to be a scorer and be an even more active part in the brilliant prediction games. I wouldn't want to volunteer to run a game as I'm total rubbish with spreadsheets (dealing with that would be part of it?). Anything else I'm more than happy to help.
:hap10:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm more than happy to be a scorer and be an even more active part in the brilliant prediction games. I wouldn't want to volunteer to run a game as I'm total rubbish with spreadsheets (dealing with that would be part of it?). Anything else I'm more than happy to help.

Erm, I'm afraid that nearly all of the work that the scorers do is done in a spreadsheet.

It's not as bad as it sounds, though. Most of the stuff the scorers do is just copying and pasting. Thanks to samkrut's algorithm, the spreadsheet itself does the complicated stuff.

First, we copy and paste the predictions and the actual results into a spreadsheet that has already been set up with this special algorithm. Then we use the "Find and Replace" function to change all the names into standardised code (usually the first 3 letters of the skate's surname). Once everything is coded, the algorithm can do the scoring automatically. Then it is a case of copying the scores into the Google Spreadsheet.

You have been a very loyal (and very good!) player, so you would be more than welcome onto the scoring team.

CaroLiza_fan

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay

As CaroLiza_fan already stated, the spreadsheet used by scorers has tha algorithm made by samkrut's. Anyway, I have never used it to calculate the scores because I am really bad with algorithms. What I do is copy and paste in my computer's block-note all predictions and then score them by comparing them (one by one) to the ISU results page. It takes more time, and you have to really concentrate to avoid scoring mystakes, but it is another option to be considered

Last edited:

corynna

On the Ice
If it is not too late, I can help with organizing the Junior GP Game, if someone tells me what needs to be done. But I will need someone to help with the Belarus round, as I will be on vacation probably with no access to the internet.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If corynna can help out with the rest... i am willing to cautiously volunteer for the Belarus round if someone can play mentor to us and teach us.

I am timid about volunteering for a full season/session, but i like the idea of trying out helping with one and getting my toes wet so to speak.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If it is not too late, I can help with organizing the Junior GP Game, if someone tells me what needs to be done. But I will need someone to help with the Belarus round, as I will be on vacation probably with no access to the internet.

Thank you so much for the offer. If you don't mind, I'd like to take you up on it.

I'll be home by the time of the Belarus round, so I can sort that out for you.

EDIT: Just saw StitchMonkey's post. So, you definitely have nothing to worry about on the Belorussian front.​

Since it is so last minute, I'll start up the Predictions thread for Australia now. And then I'll send you a PM to get everything arranged properly.

I've got templates for pretty much everything, so there's no need to worry about making stuff out from scratch.

Thank you so much for doing this.

CaroLiza_fan

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With the senior GP season about to start, I'll be contacting the people who indicated they'd be down to score to get everything organized.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A bit later than I would have liked to have been posting this, but now that we are approaching the end of the GP Series, it is time to start making preparations for the next sets of Predictions Games.

Firstly, I want to congratulate Corynna and SnowWhite on the great job they have done running the Junior and Senior GP Games respectively.

:bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

However, the Nationals Game and the ISU Game are my babies. So, I am going to be organising them myself.

2017–18 National Championships Predictions Game

Below are the dates of the National Championships that have been included in the Nationals Game in the past.

28[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2017 – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] December 2017: Great Britain
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Australia
13[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Italy
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: 4 Nationals (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary)
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: France
15[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Germany
19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 24[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Russia
20[SUP]th[/SUP] – 24[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Japan
29[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: America
8[SUP]th[/SUP] – 14[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: Canada

As ever, I have no idea when the Chinese Championships are being held.

If we can get the information we need well enough in advance, I would also consider adding in the South Korean Championships (5[SUP]th[/SUP] – 7[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018 according to this post).

I would like to take the Nationals Game back to the way we had it 2 seasons ago (here is the Rules Thread from back then), where we had a mixture of Scoring Rounds and Non-Scoring Rounds. Basically, you had the opportunity to make predictions on all of these Championships, but the “smaller” ones were just for fun.

So, here are my proposals for the make-up of the Game:-

N/S Round: British Championships
N/S Round: Australian Championships
Round 1: Italian Championships
Round 2: Four Nationals Championships
N/S Round: French Championships
N/S Round: German Championships
Round 3: Russian Championships
Round 4: Japanese Championships
Round 5: American Championships
Round 6: Canadian Championships

Provisional Round: South Korean Championships

2018 ISU Championships Predictions Game

Due to this being an Olympic season, there are not quite as many Majors as there normally are. Particularly at Junior level, where there is only one Major this year.

Here are the dates for the Majors being held this season:

15[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2018: European Championships
22[SUP]nd[/SUP] – 27[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: Four Continents Championships
9[SUP]th[/SUP] – 12[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018: Olympic Team Event
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018: Olympic Games
5[SUP]th[/SUP] – 11[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2018: Junior World Championships
19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2018: Senior World Championships

Consequently, we will be doing things slightly differently. There will still be a separate Junior ISU Championships Predictions Game consisting solely of Junior Worlds. But, in all other respects it will essentially be part of the main ISU Championships Predictions Game, with the same scorers and the results being recorded on the same spreadsheet.

Also, for the first time ever, there will be no team competition in this year’s ISU Predictions Game. During the Sochi Olympics, we found that the rules of the Olympic Team Event made it too complicated to make predictions on. And given that the same rules are being employed this time around, I felt it would be better to just concentrate on the individual competitions.

Round 1: European Championships
Round 2: Four Continents Championships
Round 3: Olympic Games
Junior Game: Junior World Championships
Round 4: Senior World Championships

As ever, there will be double points available for the Olympics and Senior Worlds.

So, now that the plans have been laid out, I would like to make an appeal for scorers.

Thank you to everybody who has played a role in the Predictions Games over the past few years, either as players or as part of the scoring team. The Games would not have been possible without you all.

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
A bit later than I would have liked to have been posting this, but now that we are approaching the end of the GP Series, it is time to start making preparations for the next sets of Predictions Games.

Firstly, I want to congratulate Corynna and SnowWhite on the great job they have done running the Junior and Senior GP Games respectively.

:bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

However, the Nationals Game and the ISU Game are my babies. So, I am going to be organising them myself.

2017–18 National Championships Predictions Game

Below are the dates of the National Championships that have been included in the Nationals Game in the past.

28[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2017 – 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] December 2017: Great Britain
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Australia
13[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Italy
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: 4 Nationals (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary)
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: France
15[SUP]th[/SUP] – 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Germany
19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 24[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Russia
20[SUP]th[/SUP] – 24[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017: Japan
29[SUP]th[/SUP] December 2017 – 8[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: America
8[SUP]th[/SUP] – 14[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: Canada

As ever, I have no idea when the Chinese Championships are being held.

I would like to take the Nationals Game back to the way we had it 2 seasons ago (here is the Rules Thread from back then), where we had a mixture of Scoring Rounds and Non-Scoring Rounds. Basically, you had the opportunity to make predictions on all of these Championships, but the “smaller” ones were just for fun.

N/S Round: British Championships
N/S Round: Australian Championships
Round 1: Italian Championships
Round 2: Four Nationals Championships
N/S Round: French Championships
N/S Round: German Championships
Round 3: Russian Championships
Round 4: Japanese Championships
Round 5: American Championships
Round 6: Canadian Championships

2018 ISU Championships Predictions Game

Due to this being an Olympic season, there are not quite as many Majors as there normally are. Particularly at Junior level, where there is only one Major this year.

Here are the dates for the Majors being held this season:

15[SUP]th[/SUP] – 21[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2018: European Championships
22[SUP]nd[/SUP] – 27[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2018: Four Continents Championships
9[SUP]th[/SUP] – 12[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018: Olympic Team Event
14[SUP]th[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018: Olympic Games
5[SUP]th[/SUP] – 11[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2018: Junior World Championships
19[SUP]th[/SUP] – 25[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2018: Senior World Championships

Consequently, we will be doing things slightly differently. There will still be a separate Junior ISU Championships Predictions Game consisting solely of Junior Worlds. But, in all other respects it will essentially be part of the main ISU Championships Predictions Game, with the same scorers and the results being recorded on the same spreadsheet.

Also, for the first time ever, there will be no team competition in this year’s ISU Predictions Game. During the Sochi Olympics, we found that the rules of the Olympic Team Event made it too complicated to make predictions on. And given that the same rules are being employed this time around, I felt it would be better to just concentrate on the individual competitions.

Round 1: European Championships
Round 2: Four Continents Championships
Round 3: Olympic Games
Junior Game: Junior World Championships
Round 4: Senior World Championships

As ever, there will be double points available for the Olympics and Senior Worlds.

So, now that the plans have been laid out, I would like to make an appeal for scorers.

Thank you to everybody who has played a role in the Predictions Games over the past few years, either as players or as part of the scoring team. The Games would not have been possible without you all.

CaroLiza_fan

Ahhh the post I had been waiting for! :biggrin: Thank you for all the thought and work you put into this, CaroLiza_fan! :bow: It sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in for scoring whatever game you need help with. Although I follow all disciplines, I'm not as attached to the Ladies discipline so I'd prefer to score Dance, Men's, or Pairs if that's OK.

Happy predicting everyone! :thumbsup:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Thanks for all your efforts, CaroLiza_fan.

I've enjoyed the scoring this season and I volunteer for whatever you need me. Exception: anything that happens around Christmas as I'm not around. Sadly, as Russian Nats is very dear to my heart :(
Other than that, anything goes.

Ta very much. :party:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan - :bow:, thank You so much for Your dedication and time put into this initiative year after year! For me, it just makes so much fun added to the whole competition itself:)
You can count on me as a scorer, if needed with one disclaimer: if I manage to buy new laptop before Christmas time/my holiday time off work (18-26th Dec), I'll be available to score for those Nationals rounds, if not - unfortunately, I'll have no access or a very limited one to the computer/Internet:(

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you all very much for your kind offers. I really appreciate it.

Ahhh the post I had been waiting for! :biggrin: Thank you for all the thought and work you put into this, CaroLiza_fan! :bow: It sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in for scoring whatever game you need help with. Although I follow all disciplines, I'm not as attached to the Ladies discipline so I'd prefer to score Dance, Men's, or Pairs if that's OK.

Happy predicting everyone! :thumbsup:

Since you replied, Weathergal, I have added a provisional round to the list - South Korea. I haven't really followed it over the years, so I don't know how good the KSU is at getting information out in advance. But there are so many promising Koreans coming through at the moment that I can see a lot of interest.

And, to be honest, I am thinking about removing the British Championships from the list, as there are so few well-known names nowadays.

Thanks for all your efforts, CaroLiza_fan.

I've enjoyed the scoring this season and I volunteer for whatever you need me. Exception: anything that happens around Christmas as I'm not around. Sadly, as Russian Nats is very dear to my heart :(
Other than that, anything goes.

Ta very much. :party:

Don't worry about not being available for the Christmas period. We all understand that people have real lives, and we always manage to work something out between ourselves.

CaroLiza_fan - :bow:, thank You so much for Your dedication and time put into this initiative year after year! For me, it just makes so much fun added to the whole competition itself:)
You can count on me as a scorer, if needed with one disclaimer: if I manage to buy new laptop before Christmas time/my holiday time off work (18-26th Dec), I'll be available to score for those Nationals rounds, if not - unfortunately, I'll have no access or a very limited one to the computer/Internet:(

I really need a new laptop too, because mine hasn't been able to be used for a few years because it was overheating. But, I'm loathed to get a new one, because the laptops nowadays don't have all the things that my old one did. And I don't want to be carrying around a whole pile of external devices.

Plus, these new versions of Windows look scary compared to what I'm used to (Windows 7 on the desktop / Windows XP on the laptop). And things with touch screens don't like me.

Anyway. Thank you all again

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Since you replied, Weathergal, I have added a provisional round to the list - South Korea. I haven't really followed it over the years, so I don't know how good the KSU is at getting information out in advance. But there are so many promising Koreans coming through at the moment that I can see a lot of interest.

And, to be honest, I am thinking about removing the British Championships from the list, as there are so few well-known names nowadays.

Don't worry about not being available for the Christmas period. We all understand that people have real lives, and we always manage to work something out between ourselves.

I really need a new laptop too, because mine hasn't been able to be used for a few years because it was overheating. But, I'm loathed to get a new one, because the laptops nowadays don't have all the things that my old one did. And I don't want to be carrying around a whole pile of external devices.

Plus, these new versions of Windows look scary compared to what I'm used to (Windows 7 on the desktop / Windows Vista on the laptop). And things with touch screens don't like me.

CaroLiza_fan

Don't worry, Windows 10 isn't as bad as it first seems. I was pretty reluctant to go to Windows for the first time but it turned out to be all right.
Also, I'm the opposite. I LIVE for the touch screens :laugh2:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'd be interested in learning how to score and help this year!

It's really very simple because of Samkrut's algorithm. The most taxing thing is just copying and pasting!

I'll contact you privately later on with more details.

CaroLiza_fan

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Plus, these new versions of Windows look scary compared to what I'm used to (Windows 7 on the desktop / Windows Vista on the laptop). And things with touch screens don't like me.

CaroLiza_fan

God...finally someone who understands my pain and apprehensiveness about buying a new laptop! I'm just too used to my slow-as-snail and loud one, with old Windows and things I know and got used to like - I'm just afraid that all this 'novelty' in technology will swallow me and block me to enjoy the experience altogether. And all those shop assistants want to know everything about my preferences where I have...none specified as a non-professional about IT:slink:, I'm just feeling stupid to go to the IT shop and look around sometimes, but I swore to myself to make the effort after next week's salary, go and decide on something...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Why did I say Vista?! It was XP that was on the laptop!

Don't worry, Windows 10 isn't as bad as it first seems. I was pretty reluctant to go to Windows for the first time but it turned out to be all right.
Also, I'm the opposite. I LIVE for the touch screens :laugh2:

I've only ever used Windows. But, the new interface really confuses me (just like the Macintosh OS would confuse me). My neighbour had a problem with his computer last year, and asked me to have a look at it (he thinks because I am 30 years younger than him that I know everything about technology). And I was completely lost.

The problem with touchscreens is that half time I either press the wrong thing, or else it doesn't register that it is being pressed. That is why I prefer using a mouse and a keyboard with proper buttons.

Needless to say, I don't have a smartphone.

EDIT: I'll tell you a story. When I was on holidays, I was having to contact the girl in my avatar a lot through Facebook. And since internet café's are a thing of the past now, the handiest way was to do it on my Dad's smartphone. And I hated it! I found the mobile version of Facebook and Facebook Messenger so hard to use compared to the computer versions. And as for predictive text... :gaah:

I was so happy to get back to using the "normal" Facebook when I got home.​

God...finally someone who understands my pain and apprehensiveness about buying a new laptop! I'm just too used to my slow-as-snail and loud one, with old Windows and things I know and got used to like - I'm just afraid that all this 'novelty' in technology will swallow me and block me to enjoy the experience altogether. And all those shop assistants want to know everything about my preferences where I have...none specified as a non-professional about IT:slink:, I'm just feeling stupid to go to the IT shop and look around sometimes, but I swore to myself to make the effort after next week's salary, go and decide on something...

Reading this made me feel so much better. I thought I was odd, and was the only person that felt like that!

CaroLiza_fan