2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 298 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m waiting for jimmy kimmel (or Seth Myers or some comedian) to do a funny sketch about the IJS system. He could make it sound both extremely ridiculous and hilarious. I’m guessing he might do one soon, when the Games are in full swing and people start questioning the marks?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner’s Olympic Breakup Won’t Keep Her From Her Greatest Love
posted 2/1/2018
by Bridget Read
Vogue.com > Culture > Sports
https://www.vogue.com/article/ashley-wagner-ice-breaker-olympics-pyeongchang?mbid=social_twitter

A short article, with a first-rate accompanying video :luv17: featuring Ashley.

From the article:
What do you do when the thing you love the most stops loving you back? .... The good news is that Wagner hasn’t broken up with skating, even if, in that moment, it felt like skating broke up with her. “I’ve put my heart and soul into this sport for 22 years,” she says, which explains why she didn’t go down without a fight. A notorious postshow interview in which she said she was “furious” was not exactly what’s expected of figure skaters ....

Wagner’s still training; still skating with the same obsession she had before her heartbreak. Every morning she makes breakfast, hits the gym, hits the rink, repeats. “There’s no one to pick up the pieces other than me,” she says. “I have to be okay, because that’s my only option.”

And from the video (with Ashley's narration):
The scariest moment is when they shut the door to the ice, and you're locked in. I kind of say to myself, "Be fierce. Do your job." And as soon as I hear my name, it's like, you're in ... Xena Warrior Princess mode. I become a different person.

You have to be obsessed, if you want to go to the Olympics. Nationals is the main qualifying event .... I haven't felt like that in competition in years. It was euphoric, in that moment. You don't get that a lot in sports. When I finished, I was beaming. The audience was on their feet. And then ....

Skating is home, for me.... It's also kind of like Ground Hog Day. You wake up, and it's the same day over and over and over again.

Oh, Ashley, why are you so endearing? And at the same time, so valiant? :luv17: :rock: :bow:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And by the way, ^^^^ Happy Ground Hog Day, everyone! Is anyone watching the movie, to celebrate?

frida80

Record Breaker
And by the way, ^^^^ Happy Ground Hog Day, everyone! Is anyone watching the movie, to celebrate?

Oh, that’s right! I forgot to watch the movie. I was just relieved the local groundhog predicted an early spring. I’m tired of this extreme cold and snow.

I forgot to watch Groundhog Day today. But wait! I forgot to watch it yesterday, too. What's gping on?

skatefan17

On the Ice
Oh man...if your job is comparable to Groundhogs Day, you probably should get out. Ashley really didn't have any passion in her eyes this season, no hunger, mainly a "get it done" attitude. It didn't translate well and she blew her own chances away. In such a weak US field, she should have glided into the team.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
In such a weak US field, she should have glided into the team.

No. Mirai stepped up and brought the triple axel this season. Bradie stepped up and brought the consistency and the clean triple lutz triple combination. And Karen already had the programs to best Ashley. Gliding wasn't going to cut it.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh man...if your job is comparable to Groundhogs Day, you probably should get out.

What Ashley has, in good times and challenging times, is a sense of humor, which apparently you don't recognize when you see it. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you would if you'd heard her say it instead.

desertskates

Medalist
I really enjoyed Ashley's vogue feature! I saw it on Vogue's twitter the day it came out. For those of us that know the story, and to casual observers of the sports, it's a very good look into what happens when your dream doesn't work out. Which is the case much of the time at this level. Looking forward to seeing what seeing what Ashley's future holds for her. And to cheering on our ladies that are at the games :hap10:

FSLover17

On the Ice
The team competition for the ladies is Saturday the 10th and Sunday the 11th but I assume they will want to attend the Opening Ceremony on the 9th so I don't think they will need to leave for another day or so. First practice for them is on the 6th and then they get to practice everyday after that as well.

frida80

Record Breaker
When is the first event? I guess they're all used to traveling and don't really suffer from jetlag at this point.

Also, several members of team USA and other nations went to 4CC last February, which was the same arena the Olympics are held in. They've had a chance to test the ice already, competed on it, and have judged how much jet lag affects them. So they've made the estimated time of how much rest and practice they need before competing. With a little extra, just in case.