2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 299 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would put Bradie in both the SP and the LP to be honest. She's consistent and rotates her jumps and i'm not sure i trust Mirai especially since the international judges won't look the other way like the US judges do.

charlotte14

Medalist
I would put Bradie in both the SP and the LP to be honest. She's consistent and rotates her jumps and i'm not sure i trust Mirai especially since the international judges won't look the other way like the US judges do.
So you think US will repeat ladies + pairs? While the men and ice dance switch?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So you think US will repeat ladies + pairs? While the men and ice dance switch?

If I were in charge, this is what I would do. Nathan has to be 100% fresh for the individual event, so I would have him do the SP only. The ice dance teams all deserve a chance at a medal, so giving two of them a shot would be nice. Bradie is solid enough in the SP and LP to handle both herself, IMO. She has the top scores this season domestically, and internationally, for both segments.

charlotte14

Medalist
If I were in charge, this is what I would do. Nathan has to be 100% fresh for the individual event, so I would have him do the SP only. The ice dance teams all deserve a chance at a medal, so giving two of them a shot would be nice. Bradie is solid enough in the SP and LP to handle both herself, IMO. She has the top scores this season domestically, and internationally, for both segments.
Well to be honest I think even if they switch the ladies, their best chance would still be the bronze in the team event.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I totally agree...
I just wish Mirai could get a medal too :(

frida80

Record Breaker
It doesn't really matter who does the FS. As long as they can beat China. Mirai has scored 129 this year while Xianging Li just scored 103 in 4CC.

Beating Japan is a long shot. Kaori is on a roll, 142 in 4CC. The US can still get bronze without Bradie over doing it. But gold and silver are completely out of reach.

FSLover17

On the Ice
I would have Bradie do both so Nathan doesn't overtire himself before the individual as he is their best shot at gold and 2 ice dance teams can get a medal because as drivingmissdaisy said and they're all capable anyway. However, TSL (I know they're not anything to go by but they tend to be well-informed) mentioned a rumour that Shibs are doing both programs which would mean the US are probably planning to split the ladies so maybe they want to do Bradie SP and Mirai LP? If it was going to be split, its tough to decide who does what. On one hand, the LP is where the most points can be got but you also want to be placed high after the SP. I would maybe take a risk due to her high scoring potential and do Mirai SP and have Bradie do the LP.
What would you guys do?
On a separate note, pre-Olympic videos:
Mirai the Warrior Princess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvCVzS_YLL8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5L9rEMvT8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wRdeIlWUYw
Karen the Quiet Assasin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GnzvOWpdG4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-2OaLRoxeA
Bradie the Never Nervous Competitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltFrQW9QzYc

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
However, TSL (I know they're not anything to go by but they tend to be well-informed) mentioned a rumour that Shibs are doing both programs which would mean the US are probably planning to split the ladies so maybe they want to do Bradie SP and Mirai LP? If it was going to be split, its tough to decide who does what. On one hand, the LP is where the most points can be got but you also want to be placed high after the SP. I would maybe take a risk due to her high scoring potential and do Mirai SP and have Bradie do the LP.

IIRC, the day after Nationals TSL stated that Mirai and Bradie would both be doing the team event. I think it is unlikely that the decision was made at that time, and I think coaches and skaters are still lobbying to get a place. The Shibs definitely should participate, but splitting the women's portion means that either Nathan will have to do both segments or two of our dance teams (including the national champions) will be left out. I don't think such an accommodation should be made simply to get Mirai or Karen in, given that we have an athlete who appears capable of delivering two solid programs in that segment.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I really think it should be:
Nathan SP, Adam FS
Bradie both
Knierims both
ShibSibs SD, Hubbell/Donahue FD

if Nathan insists on doing both:
Nathan both
Mirai SP, Bradie FS
Knierims both
ShibSibs, SD, Hubbell/Donahue FD

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
The Skating Lesson is not always right, but they often are....against my better judgement, since Dave's reporting on the Shibs skating both programs was from two days ago, I'm going to assume that they're right on this one, and that the Shibs will skate both, and the ladies and men will split. I've doubted their sources in the past and been proven wrong...we'll know soon enough.

andromache

Record Breaker
I really think it should be:
Nathan SP, Adam FS
Bradie both
Knierims both
ShibSibs SD, Hubbell/Donahue FD

if Nathan insists on doing both:
Nathan both
Mirai SP, Bradie FS
Knierims both
ShibSibs, SD, Hubbell/Donahue FD

Agree with you 100%.

I really hope Nathan knows better than to insist on doing both.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I did hear that the Shibs wanted to skate both programs (IIRC it was reported here?) so, if true, sounds like USFS just chose to grant their wish

It sounds like they're most likely going the "strategic" route of resting Chen and Tennell, rather than going for maximum points (which would likely entail them doing both programs)

andromache

Record Breaker
I did hear that the Shibs wanted to skate both programs (IIRC it was reported here?) so, if true, sounds like USFS just chose to grant their wish

It sounds like they're most likely going the "strategic" route of resting Chen and Tennell, rather than going for maximum points (which would likely entail them doing both programs)

If USFS just chose to grant Shibs' wish, then ughhhhhhhh. They did not win Nationals this year. Though I assume USFS "granting Shibs' wish" probably has more to do with Marina than with the Shibs themselves.

Resting Bradie is unnecessary, IMO. She's no individual medal threat, unlike Nathan, and her scores will benefit from as much exposure as possible prior to the individual event. Two clean skates in the team event will give her momentum going into the individual, boosting her eventual PCS and placement there. I think it'd also give USFS a great opportunity to really see what Bradie is made of in terms of how solid she can be.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Resting Bradie is unnecessary, IMO. She's no individual medal threat, unlike Nathan, and her scores will benefit from as much exposure as possible prior to the individual event. Two clean skates in the team event will give her momentum going into the individual, boosting her eventual PCS and placement there. I think it'd also give USFS a great opportunity to really see what Bradie is made of in terms of how solid she can be.

I'm in agreement there...

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
The Skating Lesson is not always right, but they often are....against my better judgement, since Dave's reporting on the Shibs skating both programs was from two days ago, I'm going to assume that they're right on this one, and that the Shibs will skate both, and the ladies and men will split. I've doubted their sources in the past and been proven wrong...we'll know soon enough.

When will we know? We're 72 hours out now; I'd think this would have already been announced. Do you think that at least the skaters know and their coaches know?

mrrice

Record Breaker
If USFS just chose to grant Shibs' wish, then ughhhhhhhh. They did not win Nationals this year. Though I assume USFS "granting Shibs' wish" probably has more to do with Marina than with the Shibs themselves.

Very true about Bradie....Though she is a rock in competition and could really help the team, she is not a threat to medal as an individual. I think she could really make a statement as the "Team Lady" and I hope they select her to do both programs.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't see any scenario where Tennell doesn't skate at least one segment. She's the US champion and to not have her in one of the US' medal hope events would be ridiculous.

Our US champion dance team is also unlikely to participate. Honestly, the Shibs won one segment of the Nationals event, so they should just skate that segment and have one of the two remaining teams skate the other.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yeah the Shibs not only didn't win Nationals this year but the one thing they are known for their consistency has disappeared considering the last two times they have done the FD they have made big mistakes.