2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This just in:

Jeremy Abbott has officially announced his retirement from competitive skating.

He made the official announcement on the brand-new installment (Episode 35) of the IceTalk podcast (at approx. 8:35).

Congratulations and hugs to Jeremy :ghug:.

"You can hear it here first," he said to Nick McCarvel.

Turns out that at the time that the Jeremy interview was recorded for Ice Talk, he had not yet told even his mother Allison that he had made the decision.
(A question from McCarvel [at approx. 8:05] about her is what prompted Jeremy to go ahead and make the announcement.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That was an interesting interview --as was the one from Sandra Bezic that followed. It was quite interesting to hear the back and forth Jeremy went through in deciding whether to go for a third Olympic team or to move on. Jeremy's point that being a competitive skater is like "20 years of college" was a good one and reminded me how difficult it can be to move on for something you've devoted your whole life to for so long.

It sounds like he has some great goals -- looking forward to seeing him work to fulfill them.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congrats on a long and notable skating career, Jeremy! Your artistry is missed already.

I'm hping to see him become more active in the choreography side of skating. :yes:

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Jeremy made the right decision. He said on his twitter that he would definitely still be skating so I expect we'll see him in SOI, at least, for awhile. As for who has quads and who doesn't and who is consistent and who isn't....Jeremy had it all but often didn't put it out there on the ice. He was always good at Nationals but not always so good internationally. I really enjoy his artistic side more than I did his competitive side because I was always holding my breath watching him. He's a sensitive young man and I think going forth he'll be even better for the sport.

Looking back, I think my favorite Jeremy program was the short program choreographed by Benji Schwimmer. Was trying to find a Youtube of it but....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think Jeremy made the right decision. He said on his twitter that he would definitely still be skating so I expect we'll see him in SOI, at least, for awhile. As for who has quads and who doesn't and who is consistent and who isn't....Jeremy had it all but often didn't put it out there on the ice. He was always good at Nationals but not always so good internationally. I really enjoy his artistic side more than I did his competitive side because I was always holding my breath watching him. He's a sensitive young man and I think going forth he'll be even better for the sport.

Looking back, I think my favorite Jeremy program was the short program choreographed by Benji Schwimmer. Was trying to find a Youtube of it but....

You mean "Swing Kids"? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeya_bPe53Y:agree:

noskates

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you. I was a fan of Benji's when he competed on SYTYCD and was happy to see him choreographing figure skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, thank you. I was a fan of Benji's when he competed on SYTYCD and was happy to see him choreographing figure skating.

You're welcome!:2thumbs: Benji is amazing and that is not the only program over the years since that he has choreographed with Jeremy. ;)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I honestly have NO IDEA which US man will get the tba skate America spot. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm guessing it'll be whoever does well at the upcoming summer club competitions or the senior B's? But we still don't know who's competing at any of those competitions.

I'm hoping for Alexander Johnson ( 😊‼️), Joshua Farris, or that really promising kid who went to jr worlds last season but didn't qualify for the free skate (can't remember his name)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm hoping for Alexander Johnson ( 😊‼️), Joshua Farris, or that really promising kid who went to jr worlds last season but didn't qualify for the free skate (can't remember his name)

I would assume Andrew Torgashev will compete on the JGP. He could do well there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would assume Andrew Torgashev will compete on the JGP. He could do well there.

I believe that Andrew and Alexei Krasnozhon are both planning to stay in the Juniors. For some reason I thought Alexei was already 18 so I could be wrong. I think they both have quads and could do quite well at Nationals if they hit their jumps..

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe that Andrew and Alexei Krasnozhon are both planning to stay in the Juniors. For some reason I thought Alexei was already 18 so I could be wrong. I think they both have quads and could do quite well at Nationals if they hit their jumps..

Andrew could be one of the surprises at Nationals next year. He lost a year due to injury and as we saw with Kaetlyn Osmond it takes at least a year to just get back into the groove of competing and he's at that age where the young guys make huge improvements in their skating in just a matter of months and he already has great skating skills and good performance skills. All he needs is to get his 3axel stable and keep attacking those quads and he will move up in a hurry. Post 2018 it will be the young guys dominating like Nathan, Vincent, Andrew T and Alex K. I'm sure Adam, Max, Grant and Ross are probably done after the Olympic year because i don't see them being able to keep up with the new kids.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Alexei is planning to compete as a junior on the JGP and as a senior at Nationals. (I'm certain I read this during the Broadmoor Open).

Andrew has many beautiful aspects to his skating, but he is going to need a triple axel and a quad (or three) just like all the older guys. Fingers crossed.

Tallorder

On the Ice
The Olympic season has the unique twist of offering up ISU Championship level points to Nationals finishers typically 4, 5, 6. This, combined with the typical post Olympic cycle turnover is an especially valuable set up for getting standing and points for GP's. Will be interesting to see who amongst the men will get those 4CC spots. If it will be simply placement determined or the "Committee" will decide...?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is quite probable that we will see 1, 2, 3 at the Olympics and 4, 5, 6 at 4CC - it's too close together. It's even possible that the 4CC team might be 5, 6, 7 if someone on the Olympic team has a nagging problem.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou is scheduled to perform his SP on the evening of Fri Jul 14 at the Fire and Ice exhibition at the World Arena Ice Hall.

Full schedule:

Belated congratulations to Armin Mahban (known to us as Armin Mahbanoozadeh), who graduated from Dartmouth in June :bow:.

... Congratulations to Richard Visker Dornbush III, who is about to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree magna cum laude from UC San Diego.

His major was Physics, with a specialization in Computational Physics :bow:.

And a belated follow-up re Dornbush that he invited his trainer Tyrone Bennett to graduation day -- and Tyrone posted some great photos and wrote a heartfelt and beautiful message :luv17: to accompany them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
To see Max and Jason and Ryan and others perform in this afternoon's fundraiser in Fort Collins for Lucy and Jeremy Barrett:

Seems that Grassroots To Champions has a new YouTube channel to stream the event:

Source:
Audrey Weisiger's Instagram a few minutes ago. She says that the show will start at 4 pm Mountain Time.
ETA: Plus she tweeted.​

Best to Lucy and Jeremy and baby Watson :ghug:.

The YouTube page above has the URL for the Help Lucy Fight Leukemia page on GoFundMe.​

musicfan80

Medalist

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Worrisome Josh Farris news from the Skate Dance Dream camp he was supposed to teach at this weekend.

I hope the "medical reasons" aren't too serious. I don't want to be paranoid, but it's worth noticing they used that phrase and not "injury".

I wonder if it's related to why he WD from the Aerial Skating Challenge last month - that would be really bad news.

Or hopefully it is something just a precaution. I hope he at least makes the USFS Champs Camp next month.

Get well soon, Josh! :ghug:

*crosses fingers tightly* cold or flu. cold or flu. cold or flu. Or maybe a little bit of dairy problem. just not...that. please not that.

I am on deck for the Barrett show and only the thought that I'll see Max and Jason skating in a few minutes is preventing a descent into freakout mode.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
To see Max and Jason and Ryan and others perform in this afternoon's fundraiser in Fort Collins for Lucy and Jeremy Barrett:

Seems that Grassroots To Champions has a new YouTube channel to stream the event:

Source:
Audrey Weisiger's Instagram a few minutes ago. She says that the show will start at 4 pm Mountain Time.
ETA: Plus she tweeted.​

Best to Lucy and Jeremy and baby Watson :ghug:.

The YouTube page above has the URL for the Help Lucy Fight Leukemia page on GoFundMe.​

Thanks for the link icecoverage! I am here for maybe half an hour and can watch.

*reloading the page incessantly*