2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

sarama

Medalist
I know not everyone likes Dave Lease, but he said that if Tessa was American, she'd have been on the cover of Vogue by now and I certainly agree that she could be.

I think Dave realises the huge commercial potential they have. And I don't know if it's because they are Canadian or have been poorly managed, but they aren't fully exploiting that potential. Maybe they aren't interested, or they got spooked by that ridiculous docureality, or they simply have bigger fish to fry right now. However, I'm not sure they would ever be as marketable as right now, with the Olympic hype approaching.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
(let me know if I've missed anything)

Ladies
Alaine Chartrand
SP - Libertango with choreography by Shae-Lynn Bourne
LP - Sunset Boulevard music with choreography by David Wilson
Kaetlyn Osmond
SP - Summertime with choreography by Lance Vipond
LP - choreography by Jeff Buttle
Larkyn Austman
SP - Mein Herr (Liza Minnelli) with choreography by Mark Pillay
LP - Great Gatsby medley
Gabrielle Daleman
SP - choreography by Lori Nichol
LP - Gladiator Rhapsody with choreography by Lori Nichol

Also, Veronik will have a new program with choreography by David Wilson. :)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Patrick Chan's working on a quad flip: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/07/05/240562964

Kevin Reynolds has gotten his SP choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWL8g0fgSRo/
(I think we should camp out by Sports Village just to watch figure skaters :biggrin:)

Lajoie / Lagha have also been assigned to JGP Brisbane: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWLkjKwlHUG/

From Twitter I've read that Skate Canada's donor gala, Breaking the Ice, is happening again this year but on October 12 instead of early September as was the case in 2016. You can meet the National Team at this event and last year there was the opportunity to bid on special items and events with skaters.

Am I correct in guessing that this season the Team will reassemble after the early autumn Challenger Series events and before the GP begins to look at judges' feedback and further improve their programs?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
ugh.. this schedule is not good at all... it's too early.. it takes me almost 2 hours to go there... by the time I would get there, half the day would be over :(

Sounds like a road-trip to Pierrefonds, my friend 4ever. As the Go-Go's use to say, "staycation all I ever wanted...".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sounds like a road-trip to Pierrefonds, my friend 4ever. As the Go-Go's use to say, "staycation all I ever wanted...".

sounds more like a subway + eternal bus ride to pierrefonds if i am actually in town ;)

and that's the issue... the ride is about 90 minutes... i'd need to wake uo very early to make this happen. When I went to ACI, i just skipped a few flights of ladies and got there for the last two flights, at around 1pm.. that was decent ;) 8am is another time zone lol

TGee

Record Breaker
Stars On Ice posted an "On the Ice" interview of Elvis Stokjo by Kurt Browning just prior to Canada Day.

Appears to have been recorded during a practice session at Scotiabank Place [Ottawa]. Cameos of Meagan and Eric and Gabby appear in the background.

Enjoy!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
omg... and can we not imagine them at a gorgeous wedding now... ?? what kind of mind games are people playing with us...

damn they are so regal!

Are they dating? I didn't know. It would seem too perfect that they get married after all these years. Now a gold medal at the olympics and a proposal would be perfect. I hope they don't put her in a Vera Wang. sometimes I find her work a little blah or too unbridal. I know it is too early but one can hope.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Are they dating? I didn't know. It would seem too perfect that they get married after all these years. Now a gold medal at the olympics and a proposal would be perfect. I hope they don't put her in a Vera Wang. sometimes I find her work a little blah or too unbridal. I know it is too early but one can hope.

no idea if they are or not... and I don't really care ;) their private lives ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
sounds more like a subway + eternal bus ride to pierrefonds if i am actually in town ;)

and that's the issue... the ride is about 90 minutes... i'd need to wake uo very early to make this happen. When I went to ACI, i just skipped a few flights of ladies and got there for the last two flights, at around 1pm.. that was decent ;) 8am is another time zone lol

I know you're in town, perhaps close to downtown with that beautiful balcony ;) , but how about you invest in a night or 2 at a Pierrefonds hotel?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know you're in town, perhaps close to downtown with that beautiful balcony ;) , but how about you invest in a night or 2 at a Pierrefonds hotel?
answer is simple : starving artist.

If you want to sponsor the awesome reports I would make from there, you can send me money LOL

TGee

Record Breaker
Following up on my, "why aren't our ladies on magazine covers?" whinge....

Kaetlyn's on the cover of Figure Skating Fitness....:cheer:

I'm still thinking that Flare, Elle Canada, or even Chatelaine should be stepping up....at this point I'd even give a cheer for a few pages in Hello Canada... :dev2:

TGee

Record Breaker
Tessa Virtue has been on some magazine covers, such as:
- Best Health (Summer 2016)

- Strong Fitness Magazine (March 2015)

- Real Style (Winter 2014/2015)

It always would be great to see more for her and for others, but I am also happy for the opportunities that she has had.

Thanks for sharing ice coverage...:)

Thing is, I haven't myself been including Tessa because of a few things...[1] she is a spokesperson for 'my beauty, my way' the Dove soap campaign; [2] she tweets about the 'cover the athlete' movement; [3] I'm aware that she does get covers...if not of Canadian fashion or women's magazines. My musing was mainly about our medallists in the Ladies event: Kaetlyn and Gabby.

Tessa's,last feature in the English version of Chatelaine [leading Canadian women's magazine] was just prior to Sochi....with a peek at her home in the living section...

http://www.chatelaine.com/living/olympics-ice-dancer-tessa-virtue-shares-her-pre-games-superstition/

Hello Canada included Tessa as one of the best looking Canadians 4 years ago, and they report she had a story in this year's May 17th issue, but the last one I can find on line is this from 2015.....

http://ca.hellomagazine.com/fashion...s-from-tessa-virtue-hillberg-berk-collection/

But all said, off-ice skaters are attractive young people, who are comfortable with their bodies...

I keep wondering if it's about Canadians seeing female skaters as athletes first...so the fashion mags here aren't looking to them. But Canadian guys are getting traction both domestically and internationally whether or not they are actors or models....our Prime Minister and his wife rated a shoot for Vogue in the US, and GQ put him on an on-line cover.

Or, if it's that their editors [are they in Toronto or even in country?] aren't as in touch with general Canadian ideas about what's attractive: Tess and Gabby report that they've taken criticism for not fitting some folks' ideals of figure skater femininity....but I don't think that the average Canadian would see it that way....