2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

nocturnalis

Medalist
I think this is a long-standing rivalry stretching back decades. The flashpoint was the 2002 SLC pairs event, even though it was clear that a judge from a whole other country admitted to fixing the results, and the co-champions are all actually friends with one another in real life.

Erm, did we just win the team gold medal??
Never count your chickens before they hatch

ChanClan

On the Ice
Erm, did we just win the team gold medal??

I would say that it is very likely that Canada will win the team gold but it's still a competition so anything could happen. Also if Russia does allow it's athletes to go under the OAR/neutral flag and if they can still participate in the team event then they will still be in the running for that team gold medal.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Never count your chickens before they hatch

... and ice is slippery!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would say that it is very likely that Canada will win the team gold but it's still a competition so anything could happen. Also if Russia does allow it's athletes to go under the OAR/neutral flag and if they can still participate in the team event then they will still be in the running for that team gold medal.

It will be exciting to see!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had to stop reading the thread about the Russian ban at page 14. My god, the snark Meagan is getting tossed at her is disgusting.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I had to stop reading the thread about the Russian ban at page 14. My god, the snark Meagan is getting tossed at her is disgusting.

Good thing our girl Meagan is made of steel. And "snark" is putting it politely, some of the comments should be reported and the users banned for making veiled threats. Let's start reporting all their posts, shall we!!

kresslia

Medalist
And what the fudge do “paper medals” refer to?
It's just one user saying that. Very strange. I think it's a way to say any medals Canadians win won't be "real" because the Russians aren't there.

In my view, the athletes who show up and make the best of the situation by putting out great performances absolutely deserve any medals they may win.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Of course they are, Canada is the biggest threat to the Russians athletes, not just in figure skating, but overall in general...

Imho, it is not simply Russians. I see many from others nations moving away from their home ladies team, in favour of the Russian ladies, and KO has become the target of their distain, as she is seen as a threat to podium at the next 3 international, and this makes many on here, nervous.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Imho, it is not simply Russians. I see many from others nations moving away from their home ladies team, in favour of the Russian ladies, and KO has become the target of their distain, as she is seen as a threat to podium at the next 3 international, and this makes many on here, nervous.

I see where you're going there... I will not be silenced! :biggrin:
I don't know, maybe she's a threat to the podium, maybe she's not. You've seen GP France, you've seen last year's 4CC, we all know that ice is slippery. Maybe we don't prefer one lady's skating over another's because she's seen as a podium threat and that makes us nervous, but because we actually prefer others' skating *gasp*

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I see where you're going there... I will not be silenced! :biggrin:
I don't know, maybe she's a threat to the podium, maybe she's not. You've seen GP France, you've seen last year's 4CC, we all know that ice is slippery. Maybe we don't prefer one lady's skating over another's because she's seen as a podium threat and that makes us nervous, but because we actually prefer others' skating *gasp*

Fine to have preferences as we all do, but the take down at every opportunity goes beyond mean spirited at times. As you said SfM, ice is slippery, and anything can happen. Lets let them decide for themselves, without making it...personal.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Sick of people hating on us on this hatefilled site people are so cruel and biased on here. You can be pro ametican pro russian but god forbid pro canadian no way jose!

come on, i think every nation feels the same, but that's because we're all biased :)

i guess this quote explains this the best :biggrin:

And every country whines about being singled out. The Russian think everyone's hating on them, the Canadians think they're being picked on, the Japanese think they're being treated unfairly, and we Americans are so busy bashing each other and tearing down our own skaters we don't anyone else to do it for us. The smaller federations feel excluded and left out. I've been following this sport for thirty-five years now and feel like I'm in Groundhog Day (the movie) because it's always the same refrain.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
come on, i think every nation feels the same, but that's because we're all biased :)

Yes, we all have favs, which is to be expected, but for the most part the wounds by many on this Thread, are defensive. The idea of promoting your own by taking others down, has been a crutch used by too many this season.

I know it's an Olympic year and emotions are high, but no need to go low. KO has been criticized in every way imaginable, I will not go there, but certain posters know what has been said, or what they have supported in conversations this season. To not respond to all of these trolls has been a personal challenge for me, this season. No person/athlete deserves these indignities.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
That's right, even Zhenya. Tell that to some posters on here...

Hmmm, not sure if Zhenya has ever been mocked on here with a cartoon burly male-ballerina character, while some Posters..., responded with 'laughter and likes', or, on another Thread, I was told, and you may remember, that the only reason she (Osmond) was relevant, is "us 'haters', have made her relevant". I might stand corrected, Spirals, but I don't believe Zhenya has been attacked to this level of abysmal, and if so, it was never by me, or any other Poster I know on this Thread.

But I would like to understand Spirals, 'why' some feel the need to go there, as we on this Thread, do not.

russianfan

Match Penalty
btw, who is meagan? i saw some mention about hate comments in twitter, but i have no clue what it's all about

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
btw, who is meagan? i saw some mention about hate comments in twitter, but i have no clue what it's all about

Meagan Duhamel, one of the top pairs skaters in Canada, tweeted out that she wanted a full ban of the Russian team.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Meagan Duhamel, one of the top pairs skaters in bunked on GS. Canada, tweeted out that she wanted a full ban of the Russian team.

But, as CanadianSktaterGuy pointed out in another post, this was not the case, nor what she stated. Yet another rumour debunked on GS. What she said after being interviewed was...

"We all want a clean and fair playing field. I live my life everyday with integrity, something I was inspired to do from the Olympic movement. Olympic values should be upheld and respected by the IOC as well."

Enough said.