2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just talked about a Russian lady? and this isn't the Russian thread anyway??

Yes but not in the way hate is thrown at the Canadians. Oh and please don’t love on the Russians and mention them and then come here and hate on our girls while trying to call one of us out for mentioning it. CANADIAN THREAD...Next!!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm not hating on them. I literally just pointed out that I like Kaetlyn's skating, especially if you watch it pretending that scores don't exist. And I've always liked Gabby. So yeah.

But let's end this silly and meaningless argument. I don't like infractions.

Ziotic

Medalist
I'm not hating on them. I literally just pointed out that I like Kaetlyn's skating, especially if you watch it pretending that scores don't exist. And I've always liked Gabby. So yeah.

What skaters have you seen live? I’m just curious based on your preferences.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

No hate was it? Guess what, when you make "noises in the woods", others will hear you!

Ziotic

Medalist
None, I don't have that kind of money, haha
It might change if/when I do...

I think if you were to see Kaetlyn live her scores may make a bit more sense! I saw her at Autumn Classic and was really routing for Mai, but Kaetlyn power and speed really isn’t well portrayed through television.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think if you were to see Kaetlyn live her scores may make a bit more sense! I saw her at Autumn Classic and was really routing for Mai, but Kaetlyn power and speed really isn’t well portrayed through television.

Don't even bother Ziotic, I said the same thing last summer, but some have their own opinions and that's all that matters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't even bother Ziotic, I said the same thing last summer, but some have their own opinions and that's all that matters.

True......I tried that with Patrick for years. If people don't like a certain skater for personal reasons, they should just own it. Giving personal reasons based off an Instagram post is beyond shallow.

tjb

Match Penalty
i've seen osmond live in helsinki. and wasn't particularly impressed with anything, certainly i wasn't impressed with her speed (she looked very slow and almost died at the end of the fs). and it's not just me. very small amount of people in the arena are really got involved with her performance.
on the other hand mai mihara is one of the fastest ladies i ever seen live.
but may be i'll change my opinion, if i see osmond in canada, in the arena full of enthusiastic people waving a maple leaves flags and giving a standing O to every canadian skater.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
i've seen osmond live in helsinki. and wasn't particularly impressed with anything, certainly i wasn't impressed with her speed (she looked very slow and almost died at the end of the fs). and it's not just me. very small amount of people in the arena are really got involved with her performance.
but may be i'll change my opinion, if i see osmond in canada, in the arena full of enthusiastic people waving a maple leaves flags and giving a standing O to every canadian skater.

:rofl: yes tjb, we are all too familiar with your LOVE for all things Kaetlyn, and for the record, didn't she win the event you're referring to? Besting 2 former World champions and the World bronze medalists at that time, in the process? I guess the judges felt differently.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here. My alltime favorite skaters are Plushy, Patrick, Maria Butyrskaya, and Jennifer Robinson. If you saw Kaetlyn live and didn't feel anything.....You probably had bad seats ;). Maria B. was the same way. I had great seats in 1999 and what you can't see from a distance is the eye contact, the internal passion that Kaetlyn has. She has a VERY expressive face and excellent control of her mid-section. She uses her body better than most Ice Dancers....She's the full package.

Trillium

Rinkside

Hmmm. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I also saw Kaetlyn live in Helsinki and clearly remember her receiving a standing O for both skates.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All I'm going to say here is that I was in Helsinki, and not seated for the ladies event, as well as others but that's besides the point. I know Kaetlyn's skating and she's fast, moves wonderfully across the ice, has expression and does draw you in and make you feel things. JMHO.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Elladj Baldé wins all the things based on standing ovations. I mean, have you see that guy's FS this season? It's totally an exhibition! :laugh:

I'm glad to hear all your thoughts on Kaetlyn. We may not always agree on scores but we can appreciate skating and skaters regardless. Seeing fans who still love Toller and Todd and Maria B kinda just shows that fandom transcends time.

___

I was keeping an eye out for where our Junior Worlds team would end up being assigned (turns out: nowhere) so I missed the fact that our novice ice dance gold & silver medallists got an assignment instead. :palmf:

Nadiia Bashynska/ Peter Beaumont (gold) and Miku Makita/ Tyler Gunara (silver) have been assigned to the Egna Dance Trophy. Since both skated novice this year they are skating in the advanced novice event. Both teams are JGP eligible and likely will get something next season.

Skate Canada press release: Canadian novice ice dancers in Italy for 2018 Egna Dance Trophy

Last season Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell, who were the novice champions, were assigned to the 2018 Bavarian Open and came 4th.

The skaters headed to JWC are attending a simulation in Montreal. Thursday & Friday. The entire team is there and putting up stories on Instagram. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Woah Kaetlyn is slow is the last thing I'd call her, I've seen her 4-5 times now? 2 of them competition and she was the fastest skater in the ladies every time I saw her. Yes I've seen her against Russian skaters, Japanese skaters and so on. Kaetlyn, Gabby and Alaine are all incredibly fast in real life and I think it contributes their inconsistency.

My impression of her live is that she may not be the most graceful or has the best lines but her movements are very sharp and clear and her programs are quite difficult. She may not backload her jumps but she's skating in difficult circles around the ice, it's easier to think someone is fast when they skate straight lines down the rink, Kaetlyn's programs are deceptively difficult even if I've only truly liked maybe 2 of her programs ever. She really uses her legs to skate and there's no full body skating to hunker herself across the ice. Yes she does lose stamina and I've seen her visibly tired at the end of her long programs but I still didn't think she was slow, just exerting more effort.

As for whether or not she will deliver at the Olympics, who knows, never say never. She seemed angry at herself after Nationals so maybe she will skate angry and go clean or maybe she will repeat her Nationals performances. Time will tell.

tjb

Match Penalty
Hmmm. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I also saw Kaetlyn live in Helsinki and clearly remember her receiving a standing O for both skates.

well, i've seen some people with canadian flags sitting in the middle. but there were not too many of them. the majority of the arena gave her no more than a usual polite claps in the end of the fs. it was nothing like yuzuru skate, where everyone went gaga, or even medvedeva.
i've not seen a ladies sp, however. maybe she got a more friendly reception in the short

millie

Medalist
well, i've seen some people with canadian flags sitting in the middle. but there were not too many of them. the majority of the arena gave her no more than a usual polite claps in the end of the fs. it was nothing like yuzuru skate, where everyone went gaga, or even medvedeva.
i've not seen a ladies sp, however. maybe she got a more friendly reception in the short

Deleted post