2017 4CCs: Ice Dance recap | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 4CCs: Ice Dance recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of the top six finishers, which FD do you like the most and why?

Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR - Pilgrims on a Long Journey by Coeur de Pirate, Shadows by Karl Hugo, Latch (Acoustic) by Sam Smith
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI - Evolution: Mirror In Mirror by Anne Akiko Meyers, Akira Eguchi
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES - Under Pressure by David Bowie, Freddie Mercury
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE - I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Bootstrap, Can't Help Falling In Love performed by Ingrid Michaelson, Earned It by Bootstrap
Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE - Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER - Con Buena Onda by Daniel Lomuto, Ernesto Baffa, Hector M. Arce

meem

On the Ice
I'll take the Shibs FD because as they started their twizzles, you could really see how perfectly in line the position of each other's legs/skates were. I posted this observation earlier but it was an amazing sight (at least for me it was). The music was perfect for their style of skating (altho' I don't know if anything can top Coldplay from last year).

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Coldplay is my favorite from this team so far. It will indeed be hard to top!

sarama

Medalist
Choreographically Piper and Paul's FD is the best of the lot.
I also really like the Shibs' FD, but it's more due to personal taste, because I understand it can get a tad monotonous and at is a bit too open.
Of course Tessa and Scott deserved the win, but that is because of how they skate it, not much due the program itself (while the SD is probably the most brilliant program of the season)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Of the top six finishers, which FD do you like the most and why?

Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR - Pilgrims on a Long Journey by Coeur de Pirate, Shadows by Karl Hugo, Latch (Acoustic) by Sam Smith
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI - Evolution: Mirror In Mirror by Anne Akiko Meyers, Akira Eguchi
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES - Under Pressure by David Bowie, Freddie Mercury
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE - I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Bootstrap, Can't Help Falling In Love performed by Ingrid Michaelson, Earned It by Bootstrap
Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE - Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER - Con Buena Onda by Daniel Lomuto, Ernesto Baffa, Hector M. Arce

As for preferences for programs this is order for me:

1. Gilles / Poirier (very coherent, engaging and accurate in Argentinian Tango concept)
2. Weaver / Poje (I love Aranjuez music and choreography to it. I get goosebumps on one of the lifts)
3. H / D, V / M & S / S - about the same.

The one that I like least is C / B Free Dance - that combination of music that I don't care about (too many changes / cuts in it too) which I also find non - danceable especially in how first StSeq in hold is placed to that and her in my perception over the top expression in certain moments rubs me wrong way. But then again I am generally allergic to them - sorry

That having said in this specific event the biggest impression left Shibutanis FD on me.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Choreographically Piper and Paul's FD is the best of the lot.
I also really like the Shibs' FD, but it's more due to personal taste, because I understand it can get a tad monotonous and at is a bit too open.
Of course Tessa and Scott deserved the win, but that is because of how they skate it, not much due the program itself (while the SD is probably the most brilliant program of the season)

similar to my sentiments:

- Piper and Paul - best due to material
- Maia and Alex - best due to execution/expression balance
- Tessa and Scott - best due to emotion/interpretation balance

Barb

Record Breaker
Shibs FD is my favorite of that day and in general.

Reason:

It is my favorite type /style of skating, when I think about figure skating I am not thinking about Carmen or something theatrical/bombastic, I imagine something like Shibs program.
The music is sooo beautiful, especially the second part is so emotional.
At the first part of the program they show so much grace and elegance, the skirt´s motion is :love: (just a plus). In general the first part of the prgram reminds me of Mao´s Liebestraum. Then in the second part starting with the fantastic twizzles is so intense and the timing with the music is great, the last step seq is my favorite part. IMO they had the best interpretation.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well it's not like their element execution and skating skills are that shabby either:cool:

ofc not, I just think that in a place where Tessa and Scott are now, the skill and execution level they have only help them to highlight more that emotional vibe taken from their skating and to get interpretation of the program, music, choreography on another level, beyond skating.

charmblade

Final Flight
I think Piper and Paul probably have the best constructed program, but I think at 4CC my favorite was the Shibutanis based on that particular performance. It was the best they've skated it and really upped the emotion and performance quality. I liked the program well enough before, but this performance really made me sit up and take notice.

OboeCats

Spectator
I just want to say something in case anyone out there has forgotten. When VM lost to DW, they were the poorest sports! They moaned and complained about everything. They used the same coaches as DW and blamed the coaches for favoring DW and giving them the better programs. I thought they were immature and certainly not a dance team that I would want to emulate. So they pouted and they only came back to competition once they had a couple of years to assess who they would be competing against and decided they could win. I'm not saying they shouldn't compete but lets call a spade a spade.