2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Pairs SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't hear that one, but I remember her comment about Patrick Chan's Olympic silver medal (the one about being offered the platter but taking the tray).

That was a rather good one about Patrick being offered the gold medal on a silver platter and he took the platter. But she didn't call him old. He's the baby brother.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Next life, I'd rather be ancientpeas' dog than your kid.

People say this a lot. He's a little bit spoiled. He eats better than I do. He gets in the bathtub when it rains. He loves it when you shovel snow on him.

He's a booger but I love him to pieces.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Sounds like fun! But where am I flying to?!

:eek:topic: Story for ya: earlier today after the ladies short, I got four messages from some of my Newfie relatives about Kaetlyn. They're all casual skating fans at best, but when it's one of their own blowing the roof off the national championships, I know I'll be hearing about it. My 70 year old aunt is Catholic nun who lives in Rushoon NL, which is relatively close to Marystown, and when Kaetlyn comes home to visit and perform, you'd think it was the Pope by the way she describes it. :laugh:

As a St.FX grad, married to a Newfoundlander, I feel your pain, Sarah. Her clan is on the Avalon and mine are from Cape Breton, so lets just say, it's "a time" whenever we are together for a family event.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Do you think the judges got it right? I'm not so sure I'm convinced that I/M are that much better in components from MTM, and I prefer I/M.

I do think when it comes down to components, I/M are the rightful winners. I'm just surprised it came down to components. They basically tied on the technical mark, even with I/M losing an entire (high-scoring) element. I'd have the watch the two programs again to be accurate, but my initial impression was that I/M's program is simply better choreographed, more intricate, transitions etc. I/M clearly had a better lift, which was one of the point differences.

The LP is going to be a dogfight. One has to think that whichever of the two comes out on top has a much better chance of going to worlds, even if Skate Canada still sends S/B. It's going to be very interesting. How is MT/M's stamina? I/M have to try even more jumps in the long, will they do it? Will the judges be so forgiving if they don't? They have to know that jumps are key internationally. It's going to be a nail biter.

I'm also very interested to see how D/R do. Much like the short, they haven't really skated a great long all season.

TGee

Record Breaker
Do you think the judges got it right? I'm not so sure I'm convinced that I/M are that much better in components from MTM, and I prefer I/M.

I wasn't having the same belief in M-T/M's elements when I saw them......]

I loathe reputation judging, but after M-T/M's weakness in the FS at Challenge [after a stronger SP than this one in my view...], I'm still waiting for a lift to misfire....I will need to look at the replays to see if that perception is colouring what I see. But what I see in I/M is a total package with one popped jump, whereas in M-T/M the crispness and surety is still not quite there.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I wasn't having the same belief in M-T/M's elements when I saw them......]

I loathe reputation judging, but after M-T/M's weakness in the FS at Challenge [after a stronger SP than this one in my view...], I'm still waiting for a lift to misfire....I will need to look at the replays to see if that perception is colouring what I see. But what I see in I/M is a total package with one popped jump, whereas in M-T/M the crispness and surety is still not quite there.

This is totally me when I watch MTM/MM. Just waiting for him to mess up lifts. It's frankly scary. I do not enjoy watching it at all. I'll get over it but for now. I still see that crashed twist from last year. Kristen could have been really badly hurt.

TGee

Record Breaker
This is totally me when I watch MTM/MM. Just waiting for him to mess up lifts. It's frankly scary. I do not enjoy watching it at all. I'll get over it but for now. I still see that crashed twist from last year. Kristen could have been really badly hurt.

I was just thinking they had gotten past this after a strong and sure SP at Challenge, and then they misfired a lift in the FS at Challenge and had SBS spins that were so far out of sync that their coaches were shaking their heads. It could have been that Kirsten's stamina was gone after the SP, but the whole thing left me not ready at all to believe in them yet.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Hahaha. I don't remember that. I wonder if it's on YouTube somewhere.

Yeah..it would help if I could remember what year it was. I think it was when she beat her at nationals. I think part of it was a language issue but it was still funny. Jennifer got quite the look of annoyance on her face when she heard about it.

ETA: Maybe not when she beat Jennifer. Maybe when Jennifer beat her. It's all kind of fuzzy but I do remember it.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn't hear that one, but I remember her comment about Patrick Chan's Olympic silver medal (the one about being offered the platter but taking the tray).

Ha, that was a good one, mainly because she spoke the truth. I can't think of an event more deserving for the title of Pop-n-Splatz 1.0 than the men's free in Sochi.

nocturnalis

Medalist
I was just thinking they had gotten past this after a strong and sure SP at Challenge, and then they misfired a lift in the FS at Challenge and had SBS spins that were so far out of sync that their coaches were shaking their heads. It could have been that Kirsten's stamina was gone after the SP, but the whole thing left me not ready at all to believe in them yet.
I mentioned that on FSU, and someone sad that Kirsten and Michael had only done 2 LP run throughs before challenge.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4evergettingnowherenearPoje, Eric's looking pretty grey tonight. Throw the poor guy a bone and toss a box of Just for Men on the ice for him tomorrow. There's gotta be a Shoppers Drug Mart close by.

Meagan's likely the cause of his greys. :laugh:

wait that i do my report and sign it : 4everclosertoeyecandy

TGee

Record Breaker
I mentioned that on FSU, and someone sad that Kirsten and Michael had only done 2 LP run throughs before challenge.

That is totally believable...

Hopefully, tomorrow's FS will be of the same quality as the SP.

But surety in pairs elements is needed....Kirsten, when talking about last year's lift misfire and fall, talked about how Gauthier and Marcotte were training her not to rush the elements, but to pace them.

It sounds as though keeping to that control and pacing is more of a challenge when face with the adrenaline of competition...And with the injury, having enough time to be able to rely on training in competition is a question...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ok... in my hotel... that place is bigger than my apartment... LOL... well I guess if I put a grand piano in here, it would look smaller lol. but yeah... i could throw a venting party for all the men and KMT in here...

in any case... I am starting with the pairs event because that's the freshest in memory so I perhaps do not need to look at my notes... and perhaps it is also because it was my favourite event...

1) Deschamps and Sydney new girl/ new team..

I am so happy he found a good partner... I think they have great potential... better potential than with his former partner.... i got to look at him very closely.... it may not look like that on screen.. but that guy is extremely delicious... harem is going to grow... seriously... he is yummy.... they skated very well... I think they will upgrade their twist and the rest was already pretty good...

I have no idea why they chose Sting's cheesy desert rose song... and what their outfit had to do with it at all... that was something odd though... come on...

2) the new team... I call them the Easter egg team... well... that was scary... it gave me flashbacks of MTM 2.0 last year... the twist fall is rather rare no??? yet, in Canada, we manage to get it 2 years in a row... sorry but I tuned out after that... even if they had solid elements afterwards.. i couldn't

3) Ruest Wolfe... I saw them at ACI ... they were good then... they are already so much better... this was a lovely performance.. the only thing missing is a good triple twist... Drew was an ice dancer and we could see the quality of their skating. Camille is a very good match for him... WOW!

there were great reactions from the crowd for their lift... and a few people even stood up at the end of their program.

4) jones and reagan... I want to like them but I don't connect. I didn't write anything... I was relieved that r/w were placed ahead of them

5) MTM 2.0 What I can say is that they were on... it was great to see them especially knowing everything that they have been through. they were excellent. Still, the lift was rather scary.
They got a standing ovation and it was well-deserved. KMT's charm is irresistible... She is a tiny girl but her smile is huge. It was truly nice to see them skate with such happiness and success.
I particularly liked the death spiral entrance and the spin exit that were both perfectly match with the musical mood.

6) Still, there is a world of refinement in I/M's programs and elements/choreography... I haven't looked at protocols yet... Of course, everyone around me whined when Lubov didn't manage her 3S... I agree with TGee that it seems to be a timing issue when they are jumping together... however, it's been a known problem for them for too long and I need this fixed now ;) right now!!!! They are world class at everything else... her lift position... OMG... the twist was so gorgeous!!!! the throw too.

7) I saved that comment for the end : but if you have never seen Eric Radford on skates... you are missing something in your life... HE IS GORGEOUS! Just when he was warming up and gliding on the ice... he was so smooth... omg...

After all of what has been said after GPF, I was really hoping for D/R to turn their season around. Their twist was excellent. Their Lutzes were better tonight than they have been this season.. not much flow after... a bit telegraphed but landed less forward. Their new throw with fabulous entrance is just so cool. It does slow down a bit but then it flies off and I think it's a wise decision... i was supporting the 3Ath... but this one is cool and adds a wow factor that the 3aTH didn't have since it was so cautious and with good reason. The entire program was a delight to watch...

I had never seen them skate. So many people have complained about Meagan's supposed lesser skating skills... Erm.. WHATEVER... You have to see them in person to understand that they have speed, power, refinement and intricate programs. They are not world champions for nothing. They are great. Another standing ovation

I know. ... this is not the most exciting report but everyone skated well and after the men's event... ouf... we needed that... I thought for a second that after the men, Skate Canada talked to the pairs teams to tell them that we would want a refund if they didn't deliver ;)

SPOTTED : Conrad Orzel ;) go visit his fan fest... newly created by yours truly ;)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Um... did I miss something with that score?

KTM/MM Triple twist done, Nice throw triple loop, nice sbs jumps, death spiral, Got the lift, Good job (even if I still don't like them as a pair)

I'm worried about I/M with all the teams getting their SBS jumps.

MM still needs to bulk up, get better technique or something with twists and lifts - he is scarey. I know M TM has her responsibilities with lifts and twists but considering she isn't very big - he really should be able to rely on pure strength (of course good technique is better yet).