2017 Minto Summer Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 Minto Summer Skate

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
i don't think being in BC will help with transitions... we know that ;)

regarding the program now... i don't need him to not telegraph the 4lutz... i am fine with him setting it up...

last year, he had a wonderful transition into his 4toe... he removed it here.... so perhaps it will come back or they are working on something else...

the 4S has a small turn or step before it... i don't think that's a great transition but it's a start...

thank you for giving him until nationals ;) I think he is building up for that and junior worlds... so it's a good strategy to put the jumps into a program, without much else... and see what can be landed, and then, when things settled down, to add on to it. I felt he was behind the music at times too... I mean, it is a brand new program, going from 1 to 4 quads.... and at least, one of them got landed in combo ;) that's the most quads I have seen landed and rotated on that music ;)

You & I both know I don't think we're seeing that 4Lz internationally until it's stable. Unless he does that planned fall quad thing where he does it for the BV and practice but takes a -1.00 fall + -3.00 GOE deduction. That's his call.

Two spots for JWC and if Roman and Joseph are both around there will be competition. Don't forget them. Joseph has a PCS advantage.

You're right that this is early in the season. I hope he uses this to better himself for the rest of the season. If spending 3 weeks in BC can't help you then maybe reviewing the footage here and coming up with some strategies can.

mguinzbourg

Spectator
Thanks everybody. I've heard something completely different. Any idea of the top 10 scores and standings? I can't wait til results are posted.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You & I both know I don't think we're seeing that 4Lz internationally until it's stable. Unless he does that planned fall quad thing where he does it for the BV and practice but takes a -1.00 fall + -3.00 GOE deduction. That's his call.

Two spots for JWC and if Roman and Joseph are both around there will be competition. Don't forget them. Joseph has a PCS advantage.

You're right that this is early in the season. I hope he uses this to better himself for the rest of the season. If spending 3 weeks in BC can't help you then maybe reviewing the footage here and coming up with some strategies can.

Do you think Roman would still go to world juniors? I see him going to 4cc for instance...

let's go for instance with some potential result at nationals

patrick 1
stephen 2 (nya nya)
keegan 3
kevin 4
Nic 5
Roman 6
nam 7
joseph 8

just for fun... i am not really putting much thought into this...
Patrick is sent to the games with Keegan... (stephen is too young for anything, packs his silver medal and his programs and builds new ones for the following year)

Skate Canada needs to assign skaters to 4cc... they decide not to send Patrick and Keegan because it's too close to Olympics... and decide not to send Kevin either as in case of injury, they may need him to be at the o games.... so Kevin is offered to be on stand by for the O games and Worlds where he can have his farewell skates....

Then, you have Roman, Nic and Nam all set for 4CC.

At worlds, Kevin is sent with either Keegan/ Patrick depending on retirements.... perhaps Nic goes to worlds if too many guys retire ;)

it's one scenario... would they now want to keep Roman going to junior worlds? Perhaps... but then, it's Joseph who may not be assigned as normally, they would send the current junior champion (most possible Conrad) to junior worlds.

In other words... there are a lot of spots on the line for Canada considering that 2 will go to Olympics and 3more will go to 4CC.... by the time worlds come by, we will see ;)

but the Junior Champion is normally sent.... and that could be Conrad... ... + one more guy between Roman and Joseph... and perhaps this time, since Roman may have gotten a spot at 4cc, Skate Canada may want to give it to Joseph... but in any case, I would be very surprised if the Junior Champ didn't go....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Joseph himself was junior champ in 2015 but didn't get to go as there was only 1 spot and Nicolas was sent. Then in 2017 there were 3 spots but again Joseph wasn't chosen because he was skating senior and struggling, while Conrad was sent due to strong Nationals performances and a JGP silver medal. The junior champ should go but if they all skate senior then who knows. If they're split between junior & senior then whoever has the best record and Nationals performances will go. If Roman remains junior then he's pretty much guaranteed a spot as it would be his final season and right now he's outscoring both Joseph & Conrad.

4CC should have no bearing on who goes to Junior Worlds except if someone goes and performs awfully.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
mguinzbourg some of the videos have scores posted with them. I know Conrad was first, Joseph second, and Corey third. I don't trust my hearing any more so I can't guess beyond that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Joseph himself was junior champ in 2015 but didn't get to go as there was only 1 spot and Nicolas was sent. Then in 2017 there were 3 spots but again Joseph wasn't chosen because he was skating senior and struggling, while Conrad was sent due to strong Nationals performances and a JGP silver medal. The junior champ should go but if they all skate senior then who knows. If they're split between junior & senior then whoever has the best record and Nationals performances will go. If Roman remains junior then he's pretty much guaranteed a spot as it would be his final season and right now he's outscoring both Joseph & Conrad.

4CC should have no bearing on who goes to Junior Worlds except if someone goes and performs awfully.

but i think roman is going seniors no?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
WOW, what a weekend of skating. I did not want this moment to pass without saying a special thanks, to Sabrina, siberia82, and of course Mango, for their wonderful contributions and coverage of the Minto Summer Skate. They are truly exceptional GS Posters, and their enthusiasm as always, infectious.

Thanks again to the Mighty Trio!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Now that it's over, I have time to say a few words. I know this was a summer competition, that is not very important for the skaters. But I wonder why the organizers chose 2 of the rinks with no stands for people to watch the event. Only the Canadian tire rink has some stands, still they used smaller rinks for senior ladies, men. People were standing around the rink. And the schedule looked like done by kindergarten kids. I loved a lot of pre-novice skaters, novice, juniors. All in all it was a good competition that I hope work for the skaters confidence. I hope men are not discouraged to be crushed by a 12 year old phenomenal kid.
Aurora proved she is a wonderful skater. Roman showed 2 beautiful programs. And Julian made my day with a perfectly skated It's man's world.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here are a few more of my screen recordings that I haven't posted on this thread yet, although most of them are warm-ups.

Senior Men SP Group 1 Warm-Up (the password is nic): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vbp75

Nicolas Nadeau's SP (the password is nic): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vbon0

Senior Men SP Group 2 Warm-Up (the password is stephen): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vctai

Stephen Gogolev's SP (the password is stephen): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vcsly

Senior Men SP Group 3 Warm-Up (the password is roman): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vat96

Senior Men LP Group 3 Warm-Up (the password is roman): https://vimeo.com/227672045

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WOW, what a weekend of skating. I did not want this moment to pass without saying a special thanks, to Sabrina, siberia82, and of course Mango, for their wonderful contributions and coverage of the Minto Summer Skate. They are truly exceptional GS Posters, and their enthusiasm as always, infectious.

Thanks again to the Mighty Trio!

what about mine LOL jk
:slink:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I was just checking the protocols, and I don't know how to put it not to sound sour. I love Steven Gogolev a lot, and I think he is amazing. I imagine judges are also struck by admiration. Giving 7s for PCS is a bit far fetched. I checked juniors and even the best seasoned in skating skills, get maximum 55 points. I know I compare oranges and apples. Still, I don't know. Steven steps and transitions are on top, but music interpretation around 7? Whatever, excuse my rant. Steven deserved to win this splat fest competition that happened all around.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I caught some of Minto on Youtube over the weekend (along with the Lake Placid dance event and Glacier Falls). A busy weekend for new program watching.

I was really impressed with Alaine - her jumps were huge but much more controlled. I hope this is a move in the right direction to get her in the conversation for the Olympic team along with Gabby and Kaetlyn.

The men's event was a splatfest mostly with the exception of Gogolev. I enjoyed Liam's skating but he needs to land his jumps - I remember thinking the same thing at last year's SC. I also enjoyed Sadovsky and Nadeau, they just need more consistency. Never was a fan of Nam, and he still bores me.

I had to laugh that with the Men's SP, most of them were dressed in a white shirt and black pants. I'm assuming it's b/c costumes aren't ready?

Didn't watch pairs or dance.

blue_ice

On the Ice
I was impressed with Rinka Watanabe 3Lz+3T, the only skater in ladies who could do it. Good job, hope she will represent Canada