2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Kaori Sakamoto virtually guaranteed entry into GPF now after the IDF short programs, since the scores were so low.

Rika Kihira just needs to hang on and finish at least fourth place to get in.

The battle will be between Mai Mihara (she actually has a shot to win it :eeking:) and Evgenia Medvedeva; with Samodurova ready to take it if Mai doesn't win and Medvedeva is 3rd or lower.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Twice now Rika has failed the opening 3A in her short program. Don't remember if she landed one at Ondrej Nepela, but as ever it's her free skate that pulls her weight. Maybe she should switch the 3A's position with her other solo triple? Because girl I am DYING for her to deliver it clean, and if it keeps being a problem, then idk... I want this girl to Grand Slam everything this year lol...

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Twice now Rika has failed the opening 3A in her short program. Don't remember if she landed one at Ondrej Nepela, but as ever it's her free skate that pulls her weight. Maybe she should switch the 3A's position with her other solo triple? Because girl I am DYING for her to deliver it clean, and if it keeps being a problem, then idk... I want this girl to Grand Slam everything this year lol...

I don't think she should change anything in the SP, keep the layout as it is and land everything! Once she does that, her confidence and mental toughness will be better than before. The way I see it, this season should not be about winning everything, but gaining experience, building up confidence because that's what Rika lacks, not the jumps. She landed so many 3As in practice, her runthroughs were great and then she goes into competition and can't land all the jumps. Classic! But that will change, with time and experience. There's still Nats and maybe WC and maybe GPF, let's see, she may have another three opportunities to have a clean SP. :)

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori Sakamoto virtually guaranteed entry into GPF now after the IDF short programs, since the scores were so low.

Rika Kihira just needs to hang on and finish at least fourth place to get in.

The battle will be between Mai Mihara (she actually has a shot to win it :eeking:) and Evgenia Medvedeva; with Samodurova ready to take it if Mai doesn't win and Medvedeva is 3rd or lower.
The Japanese have a real chance of sending 4 girls if Mai can win. Too bad Wakaba has been injured all year or it could be 5. Lol

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Oh Mai, your GPF ticket was in the hands of that 3S...

That girl is so underscored and unlucky that i would have switched her place with Rika. She deserves some happiness.

Congrats for your medal at least!!!

combinationspin

On the Ice

That girl is so underscored and unlucky that i would have switched her place with Rika. She deserves some happiness.

So true. For the last 2 - 3 seasons Mai has been the almost-girl. Hope one day she will be the lucky one and hits it big. But who knows, I feel like these days anything can happen and the ice is more slippery than ever (see Evgenia, who I wish all the best, but now it becomes very clear how overscored she used to be, especially her SS).

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congrats to our three darlings - Rika's gold, Mai's silver, and Marin's clean programs and a new SB :luv17: I'm super excited to see Rika at the GPF in two weeks, and Japanese Nationals will be glorious!

tosca

On the Ice

Her reaction when she saw her scores really broke my heart. So so underrated it kills me. She needs to be super clean to bios those PCs marks. Also, when she makes a mistake, shoe loses it in performance immediately. Ie: nationals sp, France fs

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm really happy for Marin. She's improving. And we saw how beautiful her programs are. If she had done a disaster like at SA, i think she would be in the cimetery in JSF mind. Now i think a top 5 at nats is not totally impossible. And a top 5 can mean a 4CC selection. I hope that Raf's work will make her rotate faster. Her jumps are already a bit higher, she just needs to increase the rotation speed.

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
Then Wakaba is 90% out i think. She basically needs to win. Even a 2nd place can not be enough depending on who is behind her.

As in previous years, yes, these are the criterion that result in a pool of skaters that JSF selects from, but JSF has been pretty straightforward in appointing the top X from Nationals (unless a guaranteed spot from GPF is written into the rules, e.g., Miki in 2010, or they have a huge reputation going in like Daisuke Takahashi (5th) in 2014 or Yuzuru (injury) in 2017, which none of the current ladies do), so I could definitely see a nationals where it's 1-Satoko, 2-Rika, 3-Wakaba, and they send those three.

(In fact the only scenario in which I could maybe see them knocking the 3rd place finisher off the team would be if their skate was very flawed and Satoko or Rika place in 4th after having medaled at GPF with 2 clean programs)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
A lot can happen in four years, but I am SO excited to see that Japanese women will represent in Beijing next Olympics :yahoo:

sakurano

Final Flight
Then Wakaba is 90% out i think. She basically needs to win. Even a 2nd place can not be enough depending on who is behind her.

It seems that she has started to jump again it is already a good start, it remains 4 weeks she can still get up, but objectively it will be very hard to qualify for the worlds.

I wonder if with another style of music Mai will finally be considered a real deal is a shame because it has a lot of quality.

Congratulations to Marin for this beautiful program little by little we find a little Marin 2016.

There are so many favorites that it's hard to choose how to make Midori Ito lol

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

(In fact the only scenario in which I could maybe see them knocking the 3rd place finisher off the team would be if their skate was very flawed and Satoko or Rika place in 4th after having medaled at GPF with 2 clean programs)
It's this kind of scenario that i had in mind. Imagine 1) Kaori 2) Wakaba 3) Mai 4) Rika 5) Satoko (Not impossible) at nats, while Rika and Satoko medaled at GPF. I can see fed giving spots to Rika and Satoko. Even if they put nats results in first in past seasons. Given what happened last season, medalists should get the big spots.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I certainly do not want poor Wakaba's season to end before it even began, but can she improve enough in a month to win Nationals, much less get on the podium? Boo... WHY CAN'T WE HAVE 10 JAPANESE SPOTS FOR 4CC/WORLDS grr :sad21:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

I wouldn't say that, as she was not last out there. Kihira is a really intelligent skater, and probably adapted her program based on Mihara's score to get what she needed to pass her. If Mihara had five points higher, Kihira probably would have tried the 3A+3T, and who knows what would have happened.

Japan Nationals is always my favorite competition of the year, and this year seems like no exception to there. There's even a small chance that Miyu Honda will qualify!

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
It's this kind of scenario that i had in mind. Imagine 1) Kaori 2) Wakaba 3) Mai 4) Rika 5) Satoko (Not impossible) at nats, while Rika and Satoko medaled at GPF. I can see fed giving spots to Rika and Satoko. Even if they put nats results in first in past seasons. Given what happened last season, medalists should get the big spots.

1. In such a world, I think Kaori, Wakaba, and Mai would have skated the lights out, which makes your scenario not match my scenario (note from my original post: "if their skate was very flawed"). I would predict that JSF would send all 3 medallists.
2. Perhaps more importantly, not impossible, but I highly doubt that both would be off of the podium at the same time, given Satoko's consistency and sizable PCS cushion (and to a lesser extent, Rika's BV). Given what we've seen from them this season, I would consider NHK a lower bound for Satoko (no big errors but some underrotations), and IdF (pops and/or reduced ambition).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Japan Nationals is always my favorite competition of the year, and this year seems like no exception to there. There's even a small chance that Miyu Honda will qualify!
If she's in, nats will be the event the most watched in Japan this season:laugh: