2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

skatingfan200

Medalist
She will never jump like she did before. Her body has clearly changed since the 2018 Olympics. She has injuries. (While she isn't injured NOW, all skaters have chronic/recurring issues - the older they are, the more of these they accumulate or exacerbate.) That's why she needs to rework her technique, although I realize a lot of people here think that reworking one's technique after body changes is unnecessary or just a joke.

Yep, there is also no need to jump like she did before. She improved already her technique on some jumps when we compare her to the last season. Ofc, the Consistency is not there anymore but this was clear after all the changes (new body, technique).

To what extent does the Russian Fed fund Evgenia's training abroad? If she's not getting results, I could see her being pressured to work with a Russian coach.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51695-Evgenia-Medvedeva&p=2270838#post2270838
See my comment

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I still think Evgenia will make the team, but it's incredible that 12 months ago she was viewed as unbeatable internationally and now we're questioning whether she can make it out of her nationals.

I think Samudorova has to bomb Nationals and Medvedeva pull out two amazing skates to make the team. Samudorova just finished ahead of Satoko at the GPF and has been amazingly consistent — easy top ten finish at Worlds barring a meltdown, which locks in Russia’s three spots and gives Zagitova and Tuktamysheva breathing room if they’re victims of a hit-and-run from the rinkmonster. Sending Medvedeva would be like sending Konstantinova last year — on the team but not part of the team in terms of keeping spots, except Konstantinova benefited from more experience in international competition, while the same can’t be said of Med.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Samudorova has to bomb Nationals and Medvedeva pull out two amazing skates to make the team. Samudorova just finished ahead of Satoko at the GPF and has been amazingly consistent — easy top ten finish at Worlds barring a meltdown, which locks in Russia’s three spots and gives Zagitova and Tuktamysheva breathing room if they’re victims of a hit-and-run from the rinkmonster. Sending Medvedeva would be like sending Konstantinova last year — on the team but not part of the team in terms of keeping spots, except Konstantinova benefited from more experience in international competition, while the same can’t be said of Med.

You might be right. I still see Evgenia as one of those skaters who can pull out two great programs when it really counts. She didn't make the GPF, but she wasn't terrible this season either.

andromache

Record Breaker
I still think Evgenia will make the team, but it's incredible that 12 months ago she was viewed as unbeatable internationally and now we're questioning whether she can make it out of her nationals.

This is at least in large part due to Liza's rise this season. I don't think anyone expected any of the current Russian seniors to so dramatically improve.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Re: Evgenia - I am not very hopeful for her chances at Nationals. Rusfed would probably rather send her than two Mishin skaters, but Sofia has made a very convincing case for herself this season with how consistent she has been.

I think she has to compete and put her best performances out there. If she doesn't make the team, prepare herself as an alternate while continuing to work on her technique and skating.

I don't think she should work with David Wilson going forward. His choreography really gels with some skaters (Javi, Yuna) and is not so good with others. Orange-Colored Sky could've been great, but I don't understand how/why Evgenia performed it the way she did in France.

Evgenia should work with Sandra or Shae-Lynn next season. I don't think she's a lost cause and I still think the move to BOrser can work out long term. It's just going to take time. I do think she would be struggling this season regardless of the move. I rewatched her Olympics programs this past weekend, and her jumps were just so labored with very "thud"-like landings.

Unless she really comes out very improved at Nationals, I think she will not make the team this season.

IMO, Orange Colored Sky is a good program. It's a breath of fresh air from her usual pantomime, story-centered programs in the past. I like it in a way that it feels lighter and fun vs her previous ones. Zhenya's problem with the program, I think, is more mental. She was just too nervous to sell it but if she skates like her usual confident self, I think people would appreciate her SP more. I hope she skates it like Paroles.

And IMO, her long program is the one that's not fitting for her. I love Zhenya but she doesn't have the graceful extension for a Tango program like Satoko, Alena, (or Yuna Kim).

I agree tho. Shae Lynn is a more fitting choreographer for Zhenya. Also, Tom Dickson. :)

Shanshani

On the Ice

If you look at the individual judges scores at GPF though, the Russian and Georgian judges overscored Alina and Liza in comparison to the other judges but didn't overscore Sofia, which suggests to me Sofia has yet to convince Rusfed to back her. Plus, Evgenia has higher scoring potential if clean, so I wouldn't be sure about this.

skatenewbie

Medalist
If you look at the individual judges scores at GPF though, the Russian and Georgian judges overscored Alina and Liza in comparison to the other judges but didn't overscore Sofia, which suggests to me Sofia has yet to convince Rusfed to back her. Plus, Evgenia has higher scoring potential if clean, so I wouldn't be sure about this.
Agreed, Sofia average PCS is still have some 7s not all 8s, even though she always solid and even qualified for GPF. If both Evgenia ada Sofia is clean in nationals then the 3rd spot goes for Evgenia surely. She will still get 70s PCS if clean.

Metis

Record Breaker

I’d rather gamble on someone who’s having a consistent season in international comps. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Medvedeva is on the Worlds team. Granted, I’d send Samudorova to Euros — again, assuming all things are “equal” at Nationals (that is, no disaster skates).

I suppose it depends on who you think is more likely to go clean at Nationals. And there’s a very good chance that Samudorova does (she’s under no pressure, the dark horse, no one expects anything, etc.) and Medvedeva doesn’t (she’s shown she’s not, in fact, immune to pressure, but she’s bringing all of her anxiety with her onto the ice, unfortunately).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Guys you forget Konstantinova. She's not the most consistent but she skated two clean free skates in GPs, which is a huuuuuge improvement. She was in the alternates list, above Medvedeva. And she's always graciously scored at nats. Rusfed robbed Tsurskaya and Gubanova to give her two important spots that could have helped the careers of Gubanova and Tsurskaya. If she puts two solid skates good marks can come easily and she can be the surprise.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I’d rather gamble on someone who’s having a consistent season in international comps. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Medvedeva is on the Worlds team. Granted, I’d send Samudorova to Euros — again, assuming all things are “equal” at Nationals (that is, no disaster skates).

I suppose it depends on who you think is more likely to go clean at Nationals. And there’s a very good chance that Samudorova does (she’s under no pressure, the dark horse, no one expects anything, etc.) and Medvedeva doesn’t (she’s shown she’s not, in fact, immune to pressure, but she’s bringing all of her anxiety with her onto the ice, unfortunately).

What a difference less than a year can make. I would have thought this inconceivable, 10 months ago. Tuktamysheva possibly making the team and Medvedeva possibly not... Russian ladies are so darn unpredictable!

Globetrotter

Medalist
What a difference less than a year can make. I would have thought this inconceivable, 10 months ago. Tuktamysheva possibly making the team and Medvedeva possibly not... Russian ladies are so darn unpredictable!

I was more surprised why Liza Tuks was buried the last 2 years. She always her the jumps and athleticism. Her jump basics were solidly dependable. Just happy she stuck around and stayed tough.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I was more surprised why Liza Tuks was buried the last 2 years. She always her the jumps and athleticism. Her jump basics were solidly dependable. Just happy she stuck around and stayed tough.
I think she'd still be buried without the 3 axel. IMO she was only able to make the GPF with the 3 axel, her PCS are still not that high compared to Zagi or Med.

skatenewbie

Medalist
In 15-16 she still have some good performance but too focus on 3A even though she never landed it cleanly so her other jumps start become messy, URs, pop etc, peaking that messiness in 16-17 season, her jumps is so inconsistent and she pop often. She start gaining momentum in 17-18 season, in early season there is rumour that Liza landed 3A in St petersburg domestic comp and it turned out only 2A but she skate clean and get huge score. She also medal in CS event and attempt 3A in her grand prix event event though yet landing it clean. and now here she is this season, landing her 3A, regaining 3Lz-3T and putting 8 triple FS.

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think she'd still be buried without the 3 axel. IMO she was only able to make the GPF with the 3 axel, her PCS are still not that high compared to Zagi or Med.
with her current layout, she'll be competitive even if we takeout her 3A. 7 triple FS with 3Lz-3T is competitive. if clean she's still have 70+ TES (she need to up her 3-3 in SP though). Maybe not breaking 140s but high 130s and almost 210 ceiling score.

Globetrotter

Medalist

Which exactly illustrates why PCS scoring has now become almost a joke. With the exception of transitions, Liza Tuks isn’t any weaker than Alina or Zhenya, although granted that Zhenya has that indescribable Xfactor likability. Tuks put out possibly the best performance of the FS in GPF. Certainly the SS and TR were mediocre but the PE, IN and CO is in no way inferior to what even Rika or Alina displayed. I am all for scoring what is shown, reward what is done well and deduct where it is weaker.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Which exactly illustrates why PCS scoring has now become almost a joke. With the exception of transitions, Liza Tuks isn’t any weaker than Alina or Zhenya, although granted that Zhenya has that indescribable Xfactor likability. Tuks put out possibly the best performance of the FS in GPF. Certainly the SS and TR were mediocre but the PE, IN and CO is in no way inferior to what even Rika or Alina displayed. I am all for scoring what is shown, reward what is done well and deduct where it is weaker.

I agree that her PE may be higher. But she was slower at the begining of the program, had less steps, turns, transitions and more preparations for jumps and other elements. Generally, comparing to them, more of the time she was doing 'nothing', less time was used for performance with steps, turns or body movements (with less involvement of the whole body to filling the space around her) and less time was spent for interpretation of the music (because preparation for technical elements was longer), which all means lower marks for components.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

IMO, SS, TR, CO were weaker than Rika's and Alina's. She was on par with them on IN and should have get the best mark in PE.

Metis

Record Breaker

I love Liza and agree she should score higher in components, but she’s a skater who should have higher scores in specific marks, not across the board. She’s a strong case for why component marks should vary, and I don’t mean that in a bad way.

SS: She seems to have a fair amount of speed and power, but slower than Kaori, without the depth of edge of Satoko, etc. I’d put her 0.75 behind Kaori, for example.

TR: The programme isn’t as empty as people say. She does hold the landing edge before going into some one-foot movement after jumps. It’s not exceptionally difficult content and there isn’t too much, but it’s not like she has zero transitions. I’d give Zagitova the highest mark here and have Elizaveta 1.5 to 2.0 full marks back of that.

CO: It’s not the most content-laden programme but it’s a well-composed one, with elements well distributed to take advantage of the music. If Zagitova is a 9.0, Elizaveta is an 8.25 or 8.0.

PE: As I said in the competition thread: dock her in the other components, but in terms of performance, she’s a 9.50 to a 10.0. Whatever the magical it is, she’s got it. The crowd loves her and she loves them. There’s so much expression on her face. She just has a way of convincing you to buy everything she’s selling and to pull you into the party. Deserves the highest score of anyone in this mark.

IE: There’s not much to interpret in the music, at least in terms of complexity/depth, but she is fulfilling the criteria for this component more than she’s given credit for. Complain about the arm/hand-ography, but it’s not random movement: she accentuates the music with her gestures and is absolutely channeling the sassy, flirty vibe from her face (which never really breaks character) down to her fingers. 8.50 is about what I’d give her, if I were giving Satoko a 9.25 (which I wouldn’t have for her GPF free skate performance, but as a benchmark, yeah).

I actually think Elizaveta has the x-factour, not Medvedeva. Her connection with the audience has always been a key strength. In terms of charisma, Elizaveta has that to spare, and while Mishin’s style of diluting choreo may not be everyone’s favourite, there’s no denying that Liz’s packaging, choice of music, etc., suit her perfectly. And Liz just has some natural gift to win the crowd to her side even before her music starts.

lurkz2

On the Ice
with her current layout, she'll be competitive even if we takeout her 3A. 7 triple FS with 3Lz-3T is competitive. if clean she's still have 70+ TES (she need to up her 3-3 in SP though). Maybe not breaking 140s but high 130s and almost 210 ceiling score.

A 210 ceiling score may be fine if you're American but you'd be buried in Russian Nationals. Tuk placed 7th with 202 last year.