2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 831 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
How wrong am I? I thought in the GP series a host nation got an extra entry or 'wild card' so at GP of Russia they would get 4?

I'm pretty sure Pogo's injury exemption eligibility expired after Russian Nats 2019 since her last international comp was GP of Canada in October of 2017 where she placed 9th with a total of 155ish. That would have been outside the SB 24 anyway. She also didn't compete at her country's nationals in 2018 or 2019 which is also another requirement.

Radionova on the other hand is still technically internationally protected by the injury exemption rule since her SB was top 24 in 2018 season. What is tricky and unprecedented about this situation is, though she had a top 24 SB she finished 10th at 2018 RU Sr. Nats (9th of the Sr Ladies) and failed to qualify for either one of Euros, OG, or Worlds and was not even named as an alternate. 9th would have been a bubble spot for RU Fed putting her name in for 2 assignments with the new Jrs coming up this year before she even got injured.

I understand top 24 get 1 assignment no matter what but what if RU Fed doesn't put her name for consideration based on their 2018 and 2019 qualifying results before the athlete was injured? I don't know if the injury exemption rule prevents the RU National Fed from the ability to follow their own requirements on who to put forward for consideration for 2020 Grand Prix assignments or not. Be fun to watch it all unfold.

I think Lena wouldn't fall under 24sb category but under the comeback skater category which is second highest priority in the grand prix guidelines. I actually made a calculation for the spots a few months ago but no one really cared. Also isn't Pogo coaching now? I doubt that she'll return. And of course it leaves one wondering how much RusFed needs to oblige the guidelines of grand prix when turning in the list of skaters(I didn'r even know they had to submit names tbh, I thought it was more of a "the grand prix invites you" situation)

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Somewhat random here, but has anyone noticed that Zhenya's ditched FS from the olympic season (Ondrej Nepela trophy) is the same music as Kostornaya's SP? I rewatched it today and was surprised.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
:sad21: at Valieva and Tarakanova being out

Valieva will really need to skate well at both the Elder Age qualifiers and Elder Age itself in order to get JGPs next season, I think.

Also: If Tarakanova's still going to the Tallinn Hotels cup, that's why she's not here. They overlap.

Resa

On the Ice
Do you guys think Tarakanova will decide to go senior next season? How would her skipping RCF possibly affect the chance for going senior?

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
What is the last date of official entry for the competitors at the World Championships?
But will the final line up to WC be announced by the FFKKR board and trainers collective right after competition in Nizhniy Novgorod has concluded?

in Veliky Novgorod.
Such confusion is somewhat offensive, but familiar to residents of this beautiful old city. From my own experience I know that even the mail of Russia suffered from this for some time.

voolfee

On the Ice
Valieva will really need to skate well at both the Elder Age qualifiers and Elder Age itself in order to get JGPs next season, I think.

If not, Kamila can still get JGPs. Kostornaya was 16th at Junior Nationals-17 and 18th at Moscow Elder Age. But then she moved to Tutberidze, won Open Moscow Champ at the beginning of the season 17/18 and get last 2 JGPs. :agree:

SkySkater

On the Ice
Do you guys think Tarakanova will decide to go senior next season? How would her skipping RCF possibly affect the chance for going senior?

To be honest as a massive fan of Nastya I don't think she will be going senior at least in the first half of the season due to the fact her seasons best isn't high enough to be worth it as she wouldn't have a good shot at GPs whilst she willl probably get 2 junior grand prix. However the major question surround Nastya and her plans for next season will probably involve the quad that she and Plushy have been talking about. If she's able get that into competition she could have a shot at the host pick at Rostelecom or the possibility to maybe be on the Euros/worlds team though I'd be very surprised if that were to happen.

Regardless I think she could gain more refinement in her skating and her upper body especially and considering the quad would be unpredictable if she can get it into competition initially so it might not be a bad thing for her to spend an extra year in juniors and be able to go into seniors in a stronger position.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
China? Why don't you call out the real sneaky genius here, the United Kingdom? They have Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Kailani Craine, Alaine Chartrand + 2 all going to Worlds if not more. Not to mention they produced the world champion last year - Kaetlyn Osmond

Huh?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What is the last date of official entry for the competitors at the World Championships?
But will the final line up to WC be announced by the FFKKR board and trainers collective right after competition in Nizhniy Novgorod has concluded?

in Veliky Novgorod.
Such confusion is somewhat offensive, but familiar to residents of this beautiful old city. From my own experience I know that even the mail of Russia suffered from this for some time.

Sorry about that. Upper aka "Greater" and Lower Novgorod, I can sort of feel the emotions behind the difference.

When visiting Sankt Peterburg, I took the scheduled interlocal bus down to Velikiy Novgord, but never made it past Gatchina since the journey was so slow and I was afraid there wouldn't be a return trip back the same evening to my hosts in Tsarskoe Selo aka Pushkin, which is really lovely small city in summer. My hosts told me to visit VN, so perhaps a next time with better planning ...

vitamintea

On the Ice
China? Why don't you call out the real sneaky genius here, the United Kingdom? They have Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Kailani Craine, Alaine Chartrand + 2 all going to Worlds if not more. Not to mention they produced the world champion last year - Kaetlyn Osmond

For everyone confused, this is a British colonies/imperialism joke.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
:sad21: at Valieva and Tarakanova being out

Also: If Tarakanova's still going to the Tallinn Hotels cup, that's why she's not here. They overlap.

Never mind, re Tarakanova, because she's also off the Tallinn Hotels Cup list :(

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

For everyone confused, this is a British colonies/imperialism joke.

And they didn’t include Hong Kong? Hmmm xD

Lachinka

Spectator
This is why the ISU annoys me...like it’s the Grand Prix...it’s not Worlds or 4CC or Europeans where countries from small feds should be allowed to skate in order to have representation. The Grand Prix was designed to give competitive warm-up events to the very best in the world...so the very best, REGARDLESS of country, should
be allowed to go. The Grand Prix should be for the best. Period. And if all of them are from Russia, so be it. Like, they say Top 24 seasons’s best and rankings but then they limit a countries skaters? It’s hypocritical and doesn’t make sense...either follow the Top 24 rules completely and let more than 18 spots from one country or just let the Feds decide completely. I hate logical inconsistency.

That is exactly why I enjoy GP more than EC. It really pulls out the best of the best regardless of country, whereas at euros there are just 3 spots max per country. That's just unfair.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
ISU probably want equal global representation in its events, much like the IOC, to which it is subordinate.
Having 6 Russians in every final won't do the sport and its commercial interests no good.
The other federations need to step up their game to become and remain competitive with the Russians.

Russian skaters on your billboard are a sure way to attract people to buy tickets to the event, but if you've followed the ISU broadcasts of the GP, you'll find many arena's fairly empty, esp in the junior events. ISU should be glad it has these powerful Japan sponsors for its GP series.

Lachinka

Spectator
ISU probably want equal global representation in its events, much like the IOC, to which it is subordinate.
Having 6 Russians in every final won't do the sport and its commercial interests no good.
The other federations need to step up their game to become and remain competitive with the Russians.

Russian skaters on your billboard are a sure way to attract people to buy tickets to the event, but if you've followed the ISU broadcasts of the GP, you'll find many arena's fairly empty, esp in the junior events. ISU should be glad it has these powerful Japan sponsors for its GP series.

Yeah, I can understand the reasons clearly, but on one hand, its a pitty. Therefore, the result at EC is not valid, cause finishing 15th still doesnt make you the 15th best skater of Europe, when theres an army of other skaters who just were allowed to go due to lack of spots. But thats sport. :)

Also cheers to everyone, im new here :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yeah, I can understand the reasons clearly, but on one hand, its a pitty. Therefore, the result at EC is not valid, cause finishing 15th still doesnt make you the 15th best skater of Europe, when theres an army of other skaters who just were allowed to go due to lack of spots. But thats sport. :)

Also cheers to everyone, im new here :)

Didn't notice that. Welcome, post long, post often, as they say on this board.

If you also follow gymnastics, you've noticed FIG, the governing body of gymnastics, also has a Grand Prix/World Cup series but struggles both to have sufficient events hosted on at least three continents and to have sufficient quality in the gymnasts competing to make it all worthwhile for the hosting federation to even host the event.
The global representation of gymnastics is better than figure skating, but ISU seems to have a more solid business plan in making its GP series work and have its results matter compared to FIG.
We are very fortunate there are full continental and World Championships and a Grand Prix series in all disciplines figure skating every year, instead of the ever changing formats and frequencies in artistic gymnastics.

Lachinka

Spectator
Didn't notice that. Welcome, post long, post often, as they say on this board.

If you also follow gymnastics, you've noticed FIG, the governing body of gymnastics, also has a Grand Prix/World Cup series but struggles both to have sufficient events hosted on at least three continents and to have sufficient quality in the gymnasts competing to make it all worthwhile for the hosting federation to even host the event.
The global representation of gymnastics is better than figure skating, but ISU seems to have a more solid business plan in making its GP series work and have its results matter compared to FIG.
We are very fortunate there are full continental and World Championships and a Grand Prix series in all disciplines figure skating every year, instead of the ever changing formats and frequencies in artistic gymnastics.

Thank you! I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of months, but now i finally made my decision to join the family.
Unfortunately, I dont follow gymnastics, but im glad ISU has been handling the placing/ hosting struggles well enough to make it interesting and enjoyable for more than just the old continent.
I'd also add that IMHO figure skating is getting more and more popular (yaaay!)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
It is pointless for Tarakanova to turn senior as she will get no GP spots, all she'll be doing is depriving herself of JGP. So it will almost certainly be the classical JGP+Senior Bs of those who didn't earn GP spots for their first eligible senior season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Some profound expertise and wisdom from Slutskaya on who will go to WC...well, I was a bit sarcastic:

«Все катаются на очень высоком уровне. Если брать Лизу, Женю и Станиславу - у них примерно один высокий уровень. Конечно, у Медведевой и Туктамышевой больше опыта, но у Константиновой прекрасное катание.
Назову ли трех достойных кандидаток на поездку на чемпионат мира? Здесь нельзя говорить, что кто-то достоин, а кто-то нет. Все много работают, у кого-то лучше получается, у кого-то хуже.
У Лизы, Жени и Станиславы своя история, свои достижения. Медведева хорошо каталась в прошлом сезоне, Туктамышева - в этом, Константинова неплохо показала себя в произвольной программе на чемпионате Европы. Выбор будет сложный.
Но это нормальный опыт для федерации, когда третий номер после чемпионата Европы заменяют. Но на кого поменяют - посмотрим. Каждая из девочек достойна представлять Россию на мировом первенстве», - сказала Слуцкая.

They all skate on a very high level. If you take Liza, Zhenya, and Stanislava - they all have one similar high level. Of course, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva have more experience, but Konstantinova has wonderful skating. Can I name three deserving candidates for WC? We cannot say that someone deserves and someone does not. All of them work a lot but some has better outcomes than others.

Liza, Zhenya, and Stanislava have their own history, their own achievements. Medvedeva skated well last season. Tuktamysheva was good this season. Konstantinova was skating quite well during the free program at the Europeans. It will be a difficult choice.

But it is a normal practice for the FED to replace the third skater after the Europeans. Who will be this third skater - we shall see. Each of the girls can represent Russia at WC - said Slutskaya