2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 180 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I wish the media and everyone else would quit looking for the "next Michelle Kwan" and just look for the next American lady star skater.

Well that's what the media does no matter what it may be. They always look for the next something :confused2:

the next Einstein.....the next Mozart.....the next Tiger Woods.......the next Michael Jordan....the next Grace Kelly......the next Audrey Hepburn....the next Streisand...the next Madonna.....the next Britney.....the next Peggy Fleming.....the next Dorothy Hamill.....the next well you get the picture :laugh:

it will unfortunately never stop no matter how many broken people get left behind

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
That list does not seem credible to me, either- no Kurt Browning or Yuzuru Hanyu on there? Michelle Kwan is also listed as representing England and Nancy Kerrigan is apparently Spanish :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ironically, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Janet Lynn, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Linda Frattiane, Roslyn Sumner, Debi Thomas, and Kristi Yamaguchi all retired from competitive skating around the age of 19 (give or take a year).

And all of them did this right after their Olympic medal season. (Obviously not all gold medals)

Same competitive career path as the OGM's you listed.

Yes, but they didn't have the choices that skaters of today do. That was back when you had to be an amateur to skate at the Olympics, and also when there was a viable pro circuit - well I don't know about the first 4 skaters.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that's what the media does no matter what it may be. They always look for the next something :confused2:

the next Einstein.....the next Mozart.....the next Tiger Woods.......the next Michael Jordan....the next Grace Kelly......the next Audrey Hepburn....the next Streisand...the next Madonna.....the next Britney.....the next Peggy Fleming.....the next Dorothy Hamill.....the next well you get the picture :laugh:

it will unfortunately never stop no matter how many broken people get left behind

I remember when Caroline Zhang was going to be the next Michelle Kwan...or maybe Beatrisa Liang...look how well that worked out.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
All this talk about "being prepared and ready" first with Gracie and now with Karen I really wonder where the coaches and officials are and what they're thinking.

Karen wasn't at her best, but she showed that she is at least able to do all the elements of a SP. Her score would have been a lot better had she tacked on a 2T on her 3Lz. It's not hard to see Karen skating really well in 3 or 4 months, whereas Gracie is very far from a level that would be competitive in a GP event.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
That list does not seem credible to me, either- no Kurt Browning or Yuzuru Hanyu on there? Michelle Kwan is also listed as representing England and Nancy Kerrigan is apparently Spanish :laugh:

It can't be right. Kwan was listed as $8M?? Unless she has had a terrible financial advisor, she should definitely be worth at least 20M. At least.

Danibellerika

Medalist
It can't be right. Kwan was listed as $8M?? Unless she has had a terrible financial advisor, she should definitely be worth at least 20M. At least.

Yeah, grain of salting all that. Kwan was making $4 million a year back in her day. Of course people spend money over time as well but...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You mentioned Britney with all those all time greats and legends? :palmf:

heyheyhey

Final Flight
Yeah, grain of salting all that. Kwan was making $4 million a year back in her day. Of course people spend money over time as well but...

Way more than that. She was making $5 million a year just on endorsements (it was more during Olympic years). Made more than 6 million in appearance fees from US fed back when they had a lot of broadcasting money on their hands. Made a million a year on Champions on Ice I believe. Then there’s the tv specials, the Disney deals, public appearance, guest spots etc. Long story short, she’s loaded lol

You mentioned Britney with all those all time greats and legends? :palmf:

Are you serious? Britney is an icon and absolutely a legend. I’m not even a fan but let’s not kid ourselves.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I wish the media and everyone else would quit looking for the "next Michelle Kwan" and just look for the next American lady star skater.

I never said anything about "the next Michelle Kwan" I was talking about the next skater that could elevate US Ladies Figure Skating like she did.

They haven't produced a world champion since 2006, or an Olympic champion since 2002. Without ticking that box, the general public is not going to care.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I never said anything about "the next Michelle Kwan" I was talking about the next skater that could elevate US Ladies Figure Skating like she did.

They haven't produced a word champion since 2006, or an Olympic champion since 2002. Without ticking that box, the general public is not going to care.

And the funny thing is they were Kimmie airplane arms Meissner and Sarah mule kick Hughes. Two names that would never come up in any legends discussion and as far from Michelle as can be :laugh:

But they made most of what they had, worked hard, tried to improve, and walked though the open doors when given the chance. That's what we need today, they don't even need to be extraordinary amazing. Ashley was kind of like that even if she didn't win the big international titles and Bradie seems to be like that too at the moment (although she's still young enough to improve and become more)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They haven't produced a world champion since 2006, or an Olympic champion since 2002. Without ticking that box, the general public is not going to care.

My bad. I really meant "the media" and not "posters on Goldenskate" but I wasn't very clear.

georgia

On the Ice
Gracie DID steal a spot! There is a large difference between simply having a “bad skate” and being completely unprepared to compete at anything resembling a GP level. I applaud her decision to seek a spot under the “comeback” rule, but am appalled that she didn’t WD in time for a sub to replace her. She absolutely had to have known that she wasn’t close to ready.
Agreed. What a waste of resources! The money spend to move coaches and athletes to and from a competition is unbelievable!
And yes, I am still dreaming of another Sasha....

macy

Record Breaker
Personal net worth is kind of a fantasy number anyway as it takes into account things like endorsement deals that haven't come to fruition or stock options that haven't been cashed (and which if you were to sell might decrease the option and thus your net worth) in addition to actual assets like property. But for the last four years she's had a lot of major endorsement deals and ad campaigns so that number isn't too surprising. FWIW I found the $4 million number quoted here.

they have her country listed as Germany, so i wouldn't take that website too seriously.

macy

Record Breaker
THIS. I was shocked to see her new form to be honest. I was even more shocked that her competitive skating abilities were not even in sight. I don't know who is to blame. Her coaches? I understand her "process" to come back to skating, and that she is doing this for Gracie and no one else. I was extremely annoyed that she (whether pushed by her coaches or some other force) would take a spot which another American or other, go and bomb the SP, and then w/d due to her mental health. Who the heck is her therapist? And really, I know she is recovering from serious health issues, but she was extremely selfish to go and bomb and then w/d. I want to see her back and skating with joy. I don't care if she falls on everything, but I feel she either manipulated the 'system' or her coaches or whoever did. To have her get a GP and do what she did is atrocious. (I'm not a hater, I want her success and happiness more than anyone, but this was irresponsible.)

i really don't think you understand the implications of mental health issues...what an extremely judgemental post.

RobinA

On the Ice
I find this interesting because I feel exactly the opposite way. I like the skaters with longer careers and many memorable programs the best. Artistry takes time to develop. And while it is disappointing to not get an OGM, or any Olympic medal, it is not the end of the world, if you have performed solidly for a while and have been at least in contention for one.
I loved Caro's skating last season, I thought it was really profound. Or Mao's when she briefly returned after Sochi. It felt like they still skate because they have something to say, something unique with a voice all of their own (how sappy :D) even if they faced stiff competition for that podium.

Yeah, this. Even for OGM winners. Brian Boitano is one of my all time faves. What skates of his immediately come to mind? Phantom of the Opera, Call the Wind Mariah, and that elephant thing, which may be my all time favorite skating skating program EVER, and I say that with strains of Bolero trying to creep into my head. All post gold medal programs. I feel the same about Browning, whom I was never that crazy about as an amateur, but came into his own as a pro. Yuka Sato, another gold medal non-winner. Hat Full of Stars, another fave performance of mine. I really don't remember skaters by their Olympic medals, but by their performances. Sometimes the body of their work and sometimes specific program.

At least Ashley Wagner really was born in Germany (on a U.S. army base).

Nice to see Madison Chock on the list of the world's richest skaters. :yes:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I was never a fan of Sarah. I will never understand how someone so gawky in her movements could gain such high presentation marks. Why Peggy praised her spirals when it looked like she was trying to make her chest touch the ice. I thought she moved like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz :laugh: I definitely liked Emily a lot more even if she didn't have her sisters consistency. She was overall more pleasant to watch. I thought Kimmie was okay although her career ended before she had the chance to grow.

I feels like I wandered into MKF circa 2002.

I'm surprised you didn't call her OGM a "fluke".