2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Yura Matsuda got two GP spots over, say, Kihira?

I think Rika might get the NHK host spot, though. Yura did have a higher SB than Rika so that may have featured into whatever reasoning had her getting the second spot first.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not be recovering from an injury, not attempting at least 4 differdnt quads - because he most likely will like in CoR last year, not announcing working on 4A? C'mon, he's not going to play it safe, given how through-the-stratosphere his new layout might be, on two new programs no less, I'm expecting a messy beginning. Believe me, I will be overjoyed if he has solid outings, but I'd rather keep my expectations in check.
He was competing with an injury at the Olympics and won.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Well that explains a lot. This plot line is straight out of a Korean Drama. Ugh, I hope it doesn't affect the Korean skaters too much.

Now isn't that the big question.
Considering the fed seems in a complete state of disarray how much effort will even be made to for example try and get Cha, or Eunsoo, a second GP? How is the general sponsorship of their skaters going to be affected? Etc. Hopefully it works out somehow.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Hey does anyone know the status of Marchei/Hotarek? Have they announced retirement or why are they not invited to any of the GPs?

Nothing official, but the fact that both M/H and C/La are gone makes me think Ondrej and Anna finally decided to concéntrate on making beautiful babies.

TGee

Record Breaker
Does anyone know when the JGP assignments are supposed to come out?
The JPGs don't have the same process or limits.

Also, some countries only finalize assignments during summer early season events or other national processes, and even wait to see the results from a first assignment before granting a second.

Can't say for other countries, but it's one of the things that gets us glued to the livestream for the Juniors events in Skate Canada's national summer series.

TGee

Record Breaker
Some thoughts:

- Surprise return of Kevin Reynolds at NHK! Let's see if he'll also appear at Skate Canada.

- Canada has an uphill battle with all their top talent from every discipline either retiring or not participating in the Grand Prix, good chance for Gilles/Poirier to cement themselves as top Canada ice dance team
-

Or we can view it as a great opportunity for some of the Canadian depth to get more international experience.

If there is a time in the quadrennial to take a few risks and get the next rank of skaters out there, it's this season.

I'm actually looking to see Soussie/Firus in dance, and Keegan Messing in Men's, and all the pairs teams have the opportunity to "get out of the country" and surprise us and shine.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Not be recovering from an injury

He won OGM on pretty much a destroyed ankle! Sure he won’t be in his top form, but he was far, far from it in PC and still.

Not to say that he can’t have a bad outing, but we should at least regard him as the undisputed favorite

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Am I the only one who finds it odd that Yura Matsuda got two GP spots over, say, Kihira?

Matsuda was on the SB Top 24 List unlike Kihira. Basically almost everyone on the guaranteed lists gets 2 events. Rika was not guaranteed anything. That plus RUS obviously saw Yura as a lesser threat so she got a second invitation.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Who is the third?
Zagitova, Trusynbaeva and Panenkova. If Trusova and Kostornaia does well next season she will have 5... Scherbakova idk since this year will be her 1st JGP season, as for Tarakanova she's up in the air with so many rumour about her, hopefully she's fine.

Yura was in top 24 SB so she guaranteed 1 spot and usually skater in top 24 SB got 2 spot so its not that surprising. Rika actually lucky to get 1 (and probably will get 2 as NHK host pick). She's out of top 24 SB and WS so she guaranteed 0, she's 4th at JGPF and quite bombed and placed lowest (8th) among all 3 japanese girl at JWC, only good comp is Japan Nats which she placed 3rd. Hopefully she can prove her by doing well in senior~

TGee

Record Breaker
He won OGM on pretty much a destroyed ankle! Sure he won’t be in his top form, but he was far, far from it in PC and still.

Not to say that he can’t have a bad outing, but we should at least regard him as the undisputed favorite
Uhm, while Yuzu's a favourite, he's a skater who has clearly showed us, in season after season, that he puts more importance on bringing in new elements and upping his tech early in the season as compared to maximizing GOE on the elements he already has.

Brian Orser has mentioned this in the past... e.g. two seasons ago whe Yuzu added the loop.

So, given that pushing his tech is what Yuzu values, and that taking risks in the early season is his strategy, I'm not quite getting how it can be seen as disrespectful for folks to acknowledge the risk in the early GP.

That said, unless he's injured, we should expect him to match the GOE improvements to the new elements by the GPF...and with the new scoring system, he should be well placed to be on the top of the podium.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know when the JGP assignments are supposed to come out?

The first JGP event starts 8/22, so you can expect to see entries for that event about 4 weeks before the start date, somewhere around 7/21-24. Then you'll see a list of entries every week for the next events.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Alina, Dasha, Elizabet

Zagitova, Trusynbaeva and Panenkova. If Trusova and Kostornaia does well next season she will have 5... Scherbakova idk since this year will be her 1st JGP season, as for Tarakanova she's up in the air with so many rumour about her, hopefully she's fine.
I meant two girls in a grand prix (skate Canada). Not grand prix series.

Merjan

On the Ice
The Arena in Helsinki is next to Telia 5 G football/soccer stadium, the address is Nordenskiöldinkatu. Many trams go there.

humbaba

Final Flight
Regarding the ISU's Grand Prix Entries PDFs-- Am I the only one who finds the graphics on these pages incredibly annoying? They're pretty, but the two-tone blue swishes are distracting and I find the white print a bit hard on the eyes. I'm longing for the plainer, but more legible, black and white grids of past seasons.