2018 Autumn Classic Intl Pairs Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Pairs Short Program

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've watched all the Pairs programmes...and Vanessa and Morgan's is superb. And it's only September. Wow!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, here's something I didn't think I'd say any time soon...

I really liked Haven and Brandon's program. It had a really cool vibe about it.

He, in particular, seems less "clunky" than in years past. Shame about the spin, but other elements looked really nice. I wish that Tim Leduc had his power on lifts and the twist.

I had kind of dismissed this pair as being less worthy of my attention, but now I want to see the long program.

Well done.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, here's something I didn't think I'd say any time soon...

I really liked Haven and Brandon's program. It had a really cool vibe about it.

He, in particular, seems less "clunky" than in years past. Shame about the spin, but other elements looked really nice. I wish that Tim Leduc had his power on lifts and the twist.

I had kind of dismissed this pair as being less worthy of my attention, but now I want to see the long program.

Well done.

Why are you so meh on all my favorites? :laugh:

I'm glad they garnered a second look from you! And yes, they have an awesome twist!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are you so meh on all my favorites? :laugh:

I'm glad they garnered a second look from you! And yes, they have an awesome twist!

Mrs. P, you know I love you!

I'm not really "meh" on them (or anyone) for any reason other than they haven't really delivered or done something special to bring me in.

Well, that's not entirely true, sometimes I just don't like a skater's style. That's not the case here - although I did mention that he's less clunky - that's meant to be a compliment to what I assume is a good deal of off-ice work. It's all positive.

Being an eminently reasonable man, I am willing to be convinced by any skater(s). This program is getting me there.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I have several deadlines :( so I have to skip the Senior Bs. But I just watched J/C's program and have mercy, they got me again! :love::clap:

Uninvited is one of my favorite Alanis songs. Their style and the song go so well together. I think as they build stamina and make some adjustments throughout the year that footwork will be killer. So happy they stuck around :hap93:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Why did Hubbell & Donohue not call John Kerr to choreograph their programs this season? Why?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just watched Vanessa and Morgan... and do not scalp me, but I am a bit mixed about it. Love the music choice, it is maybe less edgy than 'Make it rain' or 'Earned it', but still kind of in their alley of songs with lyrics they have a knack to make great work of. The choreography...I like that jumps are hitting musical Accent, but I am not a fan of inserting these dance holds and awkwardly looking knee slide - former takes too much time to get in the position, disturbing the flow, later just looks messy for me and maybe mirrored slides as a transition would look more pairs-friendly. I really like referencing one discipline in another (and especially dance infusions into pairs skating), but literal translations from one to another are not my thing; I think that more transitions, these references thrown for a good measure are killing their natural swagger, flow and cool factor, slowing them down. I fell in love with Vanessa and Morgan due to how strongly independent they are on ice in terms of separate personalities and how this works together in partnering, in how 'simplistic' movement-wise they program were, with few cool, innovative moves, but mostly selling like hot cakes due to them, their chemistry, an aura they make, not necessarily choreography. For me it is more about this general style of their skating, performance and them. This SP is nice, but I feel like there is too much emphasis on this 'dance-like' movement in transitions that kills the vibe, the speed, the attaction, at least for me. Looking forward though to FS and how the SP will develop.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I really, really liked Vanessa and Morgan's program. They have such a cool vibe about them (and cool matching haircuts ;)), and they make cool music choices. I love Uninvited, and it's a great fit for them. :) I loved the throw landing right on the beat of the music.

Kirsten and Michael had a decent skate, but I'm not sold on the program yet - just generic lovey-dovey, which I'm not sure is their best genre. I am looking forward to seeing their FS; I'm hoping that it might be a better fit. I am still worried for Kirsten on all the lifts and the twist. It still boggles my mind how much Michael struggles with those moves, considering that his previous partner was far taller than Kirsten. I know that there is timing involved and technique on both parts, but it's still baffling to me.

GretchenG

Rinkside
sequinsgalore, I thought I read that the side by side spins are no longer required. Do you know anything about that? It might only be for the free skate because they shortened the length of the program, but I'm not sure.