2018 Europeans Gala | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Gala

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
which is more Russian: Maria's Kalinka or Dmitri's Masquerade Waltz? :p

I think both, but each on its own and for different types of skaters - 'Masquerade Waltz' is more 'regal' and statuesque, suits competitive programs more, feeds on more continous glide and flow of movement, it is perfect for a dancey program, with dressed up attire, fancy costuming. 'Kalinka', like 'Dark Eyes', is more energetic, faster, allowed more to play with the music, building the program with pose/stops to accentuate more of performer's character. Both create a good possibility to shine for a skater in my opinion.

GGFan

Record Breaker
What is the world coming to? Ksenia is looking so happy just being out there these days. Hopefully she can channel those good feelings into landing those jumps and saving us from Candyman :biggrin:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Well thank you Loena for reminding me that I need to do some exercise :laugh2: Really enjoyed her this comp

Caustica

Final Flight
Eh, I thought Loena was just wearing her training costume in the opening like Evgenia & Alina and was going to change into her actual gala costume afterwards, but I guess not... :slink:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I haven't been obsessed with a Russian man since Yagudin, but Dmitri is making his case! I didn't care for the music and yet I was captivated. He respects his music and holds things out beautifully :bow:

I think that what kind of distinguish him from other Russian Men is this consciousness about his performances, not only in competition. I rarely feel disconnection in his skating, he is always sound and present with music, even with technical mistakes. He is young, but he skates with lots of maturity and control already, especially taking interpretation and expression. Also, he integrates the quality of his basics in a very intricate, elegant way that goes effortlessly with basically his every program.

Caustica

Final Flight
So, they've just completely skipped past Coomes/Buckland on the schedule, and they weren't in the opening either... Wonder if they'll show up for the second half or if anything happened to them? :confused:

Also wondering about Javi and Deniss, who were also not in the opening...

Caustica

Final Flight
I think that what kind of distinguish him from other Russian Men is this consciousness about his performances, not only in competition. I rarely feel disconnection in his skating, he is always sound and present with music, even with technical mistakes. He is young, but he skates with lots of maturity and control already, especially taking interpretation and expression. Also, he integrates the quality of his basics in a very intricate, elegant way that goes effortlessly with basically his every program.

Definitely! He was my favourite Russian Junior man but even back them he already had such a reputation for sudden implosion... :palmf: Hopefully this competition forms part of an upward trajectory for him!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
So, they've just completely skipped past Coomes/Buckland on the schedule, and they weren't in the opening either... Wonder if they'll show up for the second half or if anything happened to them? :confused:

Also wondering about Javi and Deniss, who were also not in the opening...

:( Deniss was at gala practice though, with Valentina. But she also wasn't in the opening :slink:

GGFan

Record Breaker

The one that got away was Kulik. Even though he won the gold medal I wanted another quad to see him continue to develop. Some of the stuff he could do :eeking:

I think that's what made me so happy when I first saw Kolyada at Worlds in 2016: "here's someone who will give me what Kulik didn't stick around for." But I think he needs better choreographers and packaging :dev2:

Then out of the blue here comes Dmitri :yahoo:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Definitely! He was my favourite Russian Junior man but even back them he already had such a reputation for sudden implosion... :palmf: Hopefully this competition forms part of an upward trajectory for him!

Well, speaking of 'implosions'... I can really understand Aliev's due to injury and potential lack of sufficent training, but seeing Mikhail and moreover Alexander at Euros I really wonder what that was... I think that Dmitri, if still under coach Evgeni R. and heathy, making steady progress, could really make a brand of himself independently from all other Russian Men. Euros were probably the first step of that - the one most condemned and with little faith given was the best from them all. He proved his worth and made a very interesting case for himself on a verge of Olympics, while other two raised more concerns than beliefs.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The one that got away was Kulik. Even though he won the gold medal I wanted another quad to see him continue to develop. Some of the stuff he could do :eeking:

I think that's what made me so happy when I first saw Kolyada at Worlds in 2016: "here's someone who will give me what Kulik didn't stick around for." But I think he needs better choreographers and packaging :dev2:

Then out of the blue here comes Dmitri :yahoo:

Kulik always looked stiff to me and not very expressive. Dima is so fluid and sensitive. Funny thing is, I don't usually go for lyrical sensitive skaters at all. But he is captivating and he can pull off high drama as well, quirky programs, blues, tango, pretty much anything!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Kulik always looked stiff to me and not very expressive. Dima is so fluid and sensitive. Funny thing is, I don't usually go for lyrical sensitive skaters at all. But he is captivating and he can pull off high drama as well, quirky programs, blues, pretty much anything!
The power of solid, smooth basics and musicality, feel of it in movement, ability to 'absorb' the rhythm inside of the body and make you feel it than just see it - this is a quality Dmitri has and I hope he will be developing it.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Kulik always looked stiff to me and not very expressive. Dima is so fluid and sensitive. Funny thing is, I don't usually go for lyrical sensitive skaters at all. But he is captivating and he can pull off high drama as well, quirky programs, blues, pretty much anything!

I can see what you mean. In some ways he was unrefined but then he would just hit the most beautiful position or do the most beautiful leap. He had a principal dancers cockiness that I enjoyed. I think his show programs showed that he was headed in an interesting artistic intention.

When I see Kolyada his potential blows me away (kid is ridiculous), but it's like he doesn't realize it or something. He doesn't carry himself like a champion and generally his program have never seemed either well constructed or clever. Give him Jeff Buttle or Shae-Lynn and he would be killing it.

ETA: Dmitri is a natural. He is so fluid in his movement. He could surpass them all.
:hijacked: