2018 NHK Trophy: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Trophy: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
NHK VIEWING PARTY REACTIONS:
I joined my family's annual (ish) NHK viewing party and had a great time with fans of all levels of interest in figure skating.
Some at the party only watched because it was a party with sushi, cake, chips and booze and we hadn’t gotten together in a while.
Some watched NHK and Nationals and the Olympics sometimes
Some were RAVING FANS (yours truly)

We watched the Ladies’ and Mens free together in a casual way. people coming and going and snacking.
Towards the second group of Ladies people began to sit and really watch the competition.
Gasps all around when Eunsoo and Mai hit each other in the warm-up.
Those who had been following the GP Series had their favorites.
The fan break-down is roughly as follows:
Satoko: 3
Rika: 1 (my Mom, very loudly)

Mai: EVERYONE
Elizavita: ME (defending her to all comers)
Eunsoo: No one had seen her before except me
Leonova: Everyone was surprised that she was still around

Eunsoo was first, but this group was the type that tuned out after the fall so there wasn’t much remarking on her performance other than that she was quite tall, and cute.
Since Rika skated early in the group we were not ready for the fire-power of her 3As
My mom: YEEESSSS! Did you see that? Amazing!
Satoko and Mai fans: Oh NOOOOO….Amazing!
After that we were speechless.
When the scores came out Satoko and Mai fans: We’re Doomed!

Alena’s program was well received, and everyone was impressed that she could still put out such strong performances despite being an alternate for the Russian Team. I told them all they’d seen her before many times, and kept saying the same thing each time they saw her.

Mai is the universal favorite. Everyone stopped eating to watch her.
“Look at her, she skates so well, so graceful!” “Give her all the points!” “Oh No! a Pop!”
By the end of her performance we had our eyes glued to the TES willing it to stay high. –But the judges obviously don’t see Mai the same way we do -lots of Booing and drinking when the scores came out.
“I knew it! Judges always do this to Mai” etc, etc.

Liza skated and everyone turned to me.
“This is YOUR favorite. You know, if she does well, Mai’s off the podium. You tweeted your sketch at her and wished her luck, you traitor” etc. (Jokingly)
Me: I love them BOTH OK?
I could not convince my family to get on board Liza Airways, but she was great.
“Too much theatricals,” “Posing, Not Skating” “Hey, look at her JUMPS! THEY ARE HUGE!”

The scores came up and we knew it was all up to Satoko now to take the lead or Rika would win and my mom would GLOAT.
We were pretty sure Satoko would be perfect, but how would her best be scored today?
When Satoko hit her ending pose we did a standing ovation and kept our eye on the score tracker.
Satoko fans:“It’s going to be close, but Satoko can still win”
“Um…the TES is going down”
“It’s going down some more!”
“AAAAAGH OH NOOOOOO”
Mom: OH YEEEES, I told you, I told you all she’d do it! (this whole time, my mom is getting Rika’s name wrong. I think she pronounced it 3 different ways) Why don’t you like her? She’s the Champion!
Satoko and Mai fans: We like her fine…but it takes time to get used to a skater. We like Satoko and Mai!
More Drinking

Between the Ladies and Men’s event, 5 more people joined the party. These are the only watch skating for the booze and food contingent. But among them were two guys that remembered and liked Liza the most. (Where were you when I needed back up?)
It’s too bad that the casual fans had to see the mens event. It was so poorly skated, they were not impressed, but we concentrated on food, drinking, commenting on interesting costumes and seeing if anyone’s TES could match Rikas’.
Kevin Reynolds:
“great hair!” “His features are so anime!” “This isn’t going well, is it?”

Hiroaki Sato:
Guy1: What country does he come from?
Me: OMG he’s from Iwate, he’s practically a neighbor!
Guy2: He looks different from the other skaters.
Me: He looks like what a local farmer would look like if they were a figure skater in their secret life, donning the spandex and sparkles by night and tilling the fields by day…in fact he looks like you (indicating GUY 2)
Guy 2: You know…he does. (Guy 2 is a farmer)
I then showed everyone Hiroaki’s famous Bolero EX after which everyone who hadn’t seen him before became a fan.
Hiroaki wowed his brand new fans with a magnificent 4T and a 3A and then fell 3 times. We all drank some more.

Next guy to come to everyone’s attention was Alexander Johnson.
“He can’t jump, but he skates very well.” “Is this the first mesh of the night? What happened to the mesh everyone was wearing a few seasons back?”

Deniss Vasilijevs was up next
“Best costume so far!” “Is this supposed to be Japanese? Or Chinese?” “ If this was America would they call it appropriation? What does that even mean?” “It’s the Last Samurai so the theme is Japanese”
“If you do it with your whole heart, no one will care about appropriation-nonsense…he’s cute!” “Well, that says it all”
Everyone likes Deniss. The end.

Vincent’s costume was also examined and declared “Probably Chinese”
I warned everyone that Vincent’s Quads very often got under-rotations but everyone was just happy to see a slightly better program.

Everyone knew Sota and that it was his comeback, so we all watched in silence and were happy with his performance.
Mom: He’s like Hanyu…
Everyone else: NO HE’S NOT. He’s SOTA.

Demitri Aliev up next:
“Where’s the mesh?” “I need more Rhinestones.”
My dad rarely watches Figure skating and doesn’t care for sports much…but he’s noticed and commented on just two skaters that aren’t Japanese that I can remember and they are Gracie Gold and Dmitri Aliev.
He saw them both when they were totally bombing their programs and said of them both, “There’s something good about the way they skate. It’s better than others we’ve seen so far. They have got something special.” :palmf: We know! If only they wouldn't bomb...

Shoma Uno
We were all expecting and really hoping for someone to do a good performance and since Shoma started off quad after quad we got very interested. Looking at his layout (like Yuzu and Nathan) looks like a joke because the difficulty is so high compared to others. Until the very end we were wondering whether he would get the combos in, but he couldn’t this time.
“He looks like he needs a nap”
“His left arm is the most tired” :laugh:
“He’s going to the Final, exciting”

Voronov was the last skater and everyone was now cheering him on.
“I feel so betrayed. Where is the lace? Where is the mesh Voronov?”
“Well, at least this costume has got ventilation”
At this point we cheered everything. We cheered for all his jumps, his spins and his steps. When he finished we cheered with the crowd.

It was a very fun viewing party.
Last year, we couldn’t really enjoy it because Yuzu was injured and the Olympics dreams seemed to be so far away. This year was much more enjoyable. We also talked about GP Russia next week, the Return of DAI which everyone supports and the prospect of the GPF and who might go.

Please don’t judge these drunken reactions too harshly. ;)

EDIT TO ADD: Matteo costume comments, "I'd totally wear that jacket."
June costume comments: "Is that a rip up the back??"

Interspectator, I so wanted to be at your party! :laugh:

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
NHK: Writing long paragraphs isn't my thing.

Men: A mess, I blame this on the time limit
- Uno: Did his job.
- Voronov: :clap: Was rooting for him. Possible Final? Revenge of the Uncles.
- Rizzo: Hey, he got a GP medal. Not perfect skate, not memorable either for me.
- Zhou: To be honest, not entirely surprising. Chronic URs.
- Dima: The pops. I still love the programs.
- Sota: I was pleased. :biggrin:
- Deniss: The yellow :noshake: Again, like Dima still love the programs.

Ladies: Beautiful, strong field.
- Rika: For me, Skate of the Event. Hard to believe she had to wait for the host pick to get in. Another BEAUTIFUL free. IMO, she's the only lady who can challenge Zagitova technically. Great potential.
- Satoko: Clean (ignoring the protocols), and beautiful. As usual.
- Tukt: Strong skates once again.
- Mai: What were these scores Nice program and skate.
- Mariah: Think I said this before, but I love the free. A LOT :biggrin:
- Eunsoo: Beautiful SP, shame on free

Pairs:
- Zabiiako/Enbert: Nice FS
- Peng/Jin: :hap10: Going to Final! Even with those WDs
- Knierims: Got a GP medal despite the whole coaching fiasco. Good for them.
- MT/Marinaro: Not as good a showing as Skate Canada. :(

Dance: Weak field without P/C
- Hawayek/Baker: I think I've said this before, love the programs.
- Zahorski/Guerreiro: FD is ok, otherwise not memorable
- Parsons: :luv17:
- Fear/Gibson: Their FD was amazing.
- Wang/Liu: :cheer2: Nice showing. Long-term, I think they're in a great position to move up the competitive ladder in ID. Still not a competitive team, but working their way there.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
When I played this kind of scoring game with my family, it was with the understanding that the 87 TES that Rika got is something ANY skater would be hard pressed to beat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
These are rare parties, but they are very fun. :biggrin:

Please invite me to the next one. I'll fly over. :biggrin:

When I played this kind of scoring game with my family, it was with the understanding that the 87 TES that Rika got is something ANY skater would be hard pressed to beat.

Yes, I think in these comparision discussions, Rika pretty much slayed regardless of how she compared to the people in her own discipline or those in other disciplines. Rika's free skate was exceptional. Period. Full stop.

I still had a good time playing the Mae-Bernice TES challenge though. It was a fun way to stay awake at 2 in the morning. :slink:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
These are rare parties, but they are very fun. :biggrin:

May I ask which prefecture you are based in? Being an expat/urbanite I have an 憧れ for the regions. Actually my mum is from Niigata, but I've always lived in Tokyo when I was in Japan. My dream is to travel in Shikoku (I've never been other than crossing the bridge from the mainland on the train).

Interspectator

Record Breaker
May I ask which prefecture you are based in? Being an expat/urbanite I have an 憧れ for the regions. Actually my mum is from Niigata, but I've always lived in Tokyo when I was in Japan. My dream is to travel in Shikoku (I've never been other than crossing the bridge from the mainland on the train).

I grew up in the Kanto area (various prefectures) but I dislike the cities and the crowds...So now I am based in Akita which is my ancestral home. Best thing about Akita is that almost no one lives here! :laugh:
Tohoku based skaters have a tough time getting training since the Year-round rinks are so sparse up here. The prevailing sport is skiing and snowboarding.
Skaters like Hiroaki Sato get my support and extra kudos for sticking with skating despite not having a year-round rink until a season or two ago.

moriel

Record Breaker
Two things:
1. Voronov showing that there is life after 30
2. Ladies winning the battle against 3A

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m living for Liza’s success and confidence thus far this season. It’s so similar to 2014-2015. I wouldn’t call her one of my favourite skaters, but it’s exciting to see her return to form circa four seasons ago. :yahoo:

Rika- what more can I say?! She has the whole package, plus a 3A?! Amazing. :love:

———

Sadly, I didn’t get to watch most of NHK and Finland live and post along with those of you in the competition threads as I would normally do. I have lots of “real life” stuff going on; it’s nothing to worry about, all is well. I’m looking forward to Rostelecom next weekend!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Will try to minimize fangirling (I usually don't write on these review threads because of it), my two cents.

- Skates aside, this was great for me in that 1) it was the only GP that didn't mess with my sleep schedule for this circut, 2) the events were well-prepared and constructed, and 3)the Japanese crowd was very responsive and encouraging. All the reasons to like events held in Japan. Yay for WC 2019 :yahoo:

- The highlight of the whole competition: Ladies. My personal investments aside, this was a stellar field full of so much talent. Quick recap of everybody:

1. Kailani Crane - Not the cleanest on jumps, but with passion and charm. She very much deserved a spot.
2. Mae Berenice Meite - A bit messy on the jumps, but it's always nice to have various countries represented on the GP.
3. Angela Wang - I think nerves got to her, but her programs themselves were pretty nice. I will forever think of our Queen when SITC plays though... :sad21:
4. Courtney Hicks - Pretty strong showing here, not 100% but still two performances to show she was still going.
5. Alena Leonova - What a feat, to be almost 100% clean at a GP at 27, and she's from Russia. Lovely SP.
6. Maria Sotskova - Interesting choices, personally wasn't to my taste but she did seem more lively and energetic than last season.
7. Mariah Bell - What a delightful performer. She delivered on her FS, was lovely to watch. Oh, and lovely dresses.
8. Mihara Mai - She was unfortunately shadowed here a bit by the other Japanese ladies, but she delivered two fine, beautifully skated programs in front of the home crowd. Great job.
9. Liza Tuktamysheva - Such sass, loved watching her skate. She was spot on with the 3A in her short, and her jumps are huge and pleasing to watch. What a revival season this has been for her, she has definitely earned the right to go to the final.
10. Miyahara Satoko - While I may not be in love with her, her skating skills are sublime and she has a deep connection to the music. UR issues aside, she was clean in both programs and proved herself more than over.
11. Kihira Rika - Her SP was a slight disappointment with her falling on the 3A (the rest was superb though), but then she delivered a phenomenal FS with marvelous jumps including that stunning 3A-3T and lyrical, beautiful skating to grab that gold. Also had two lovely dresses.
*Fangirl alert*
12. Eunsoo - The one who - for me - was the most important skater in the whole event. For her SP, what a magical performance and a wonderful senior GP debut. She was perfect on her jumps (the tech panel needs lasik surgery, it seems) and was elegant, graceful, musical, and downright mesmerizing with her performance. (Did I mention her absolutely beautiful dress? It's absolutely beautiful.) She had a harsh free, on that I have many, many words to say but they don't belong here. But with the circumstances (colliding just before her skate... thank goodness nothing serious happened to both of them) and her age, 6th was a solid placement. I will be burning incense and praying to the skating gods for her to be clean next week, she is something special and the world needs to see her in full glory.
*Calms down*

In conclusion, the best ladies' competition in the GP series so far imo. What a treat.

- Ice Dance turned out to be quite the open field after P/C withdrew, and in the end H/B got their first GP gold with a lovely FD. Personal highlights:

1. Z/G was spot on with their tango, and although the FD didn't go too well, I do adore the program and would love to see it at its best. And with their silver, it has turned out that two of my favorite dance teams, Z/G and G/P, won't be likely to be both at the final :( :(
2. Wang/Liu is getting better and better, although they might not be contenders yet they are quite enjoyable to watch. Their Pirates of the Caribbean tango is just great, and SB for both programs for them. 4CC is going to be fun.
3. Parsons got a bronze, and well deserved. P/C may have done better with To Build a Home, but the Parsons did well enough nonetheless.
4. F/G's Disco! :dance3: It's such a fun, cool, disco routine, and without the deduction they would've won the FD. Great stuff there.

Overall, to this ID know-nothing it was a pretty good competition. Oh, and H/B has a killer gala, Jean-Luc Baker is so great as Austin Powers.

- Pairs was... okay. No disasters, no jawdroppers. Quick shoutouts: Peng/Jin doing lovely on their lovely SP, Knierims' great throw flip in their FS, Suzaki/Kihara pulling off a clean SP at home grounds.

- Men. Sigh... Sergei Voronov got himself a silver and continued the uncle renaissance, Uno Shoma won and confirmed his ticket to finals, Matteo Rizzo got a surprise bronze as the first GP medal for Italy, and there ends the good things. Too many falls, pops, and stumbles to count, not a single person was 100% clean. Maybe it's the 4 minutes rule taking its toll, maybe it was just skating gods in a mood. I just hope Rostelecom doesn't repeat this.

Conclusion: Had its ups and downs, still was a great competition. Let's see how Russia holds up.

Last edited:

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I was extremely puzzled as to why Kailani Crane went for 3 triple lutzes. It looks like her worst jump by far, so to go for it three times? Kudos to her 3lo-3lo combo tho.

Also, I thought it was very obvious the Russian judge in the short program was trying to cheat; like, be less obvious.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sergei laying it down was the highlight for me, helping me to forget about the terrible skates from Dima and Deniss. Shoma continues to get a free pass and absurd GOE for his hideous jumps while everyone else gets checked with a fine-toothed comb. It's just wrong. The rest of the men are best forgotten.

Rika is certainly one of the most well rounded skaters around and I'm very happy for her, even though I don't like her SP. Congrats to Liza, of course. And a huge amount of credit to Alena for defying the odds time and time again. Look how many younger Russian girls who were supposed to overtake her and freeze her out - and aren't even part of the conversation any more. Maria may soon join that list...

That's pretty much all I watched because of the time difference.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
shallow thoughts

imperfect but perfect to me - Liza, Serg & Alenka :hap93:

I feel I should like but dont - Satoko (Yamato in the KnC as usual was worth it:peace::love:)

should feel cheesy but doesnt - Mariah :dance3:

Perfection - Eunsoo & Rika :bow:

Special mention to the Knierims :luv17:

evasorange

Final Flight
Shoma continues to get a free pass and absurd GOE for his hideous jumps while everyone else gets checked with a fine-toothed comb. It's just wrong.

RIGHT?? how is everyone else not talking about this? How on earth does a short program with no combo and a fall score 92?!?! Even Yuzu doesn’t get this kind of leeway, and neither did Javi back when he was competing. And both of them have jumps that when executed cleanly, are so much better then Shoma. At this point I cannot even enjoy Shomas skating anymore because I know that 1. It will be messy and 2. It won’t matter how many mistakes he makes, he will still end up on the podium over men who were cleaner and better.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Most impressive to me was Courtney Hicks' 3F+3Lo.
gif: https://imgflip.com/gif/2mc4vv
youtube: https://youtu.be/sz0l4vTKhRg?t=312

This, everybody, is the gold standard of 3F+3Lo.

(Don't get me wrong, Rika was impressive of course. But I've known that for a long time. Courtney's 3F+3Lo however was a revelation. I knew that it was her signature combo, but I never knew she could execute it this well)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Only really watched the ladies:

Rika: I knew if she could come out and nail it she'd be amazing but whoa:eeking:... Seeing her deliver that program the way she did was amazing! I had to give her a standing O in my living room. Those 3As were amazing and I think that's the first time a woman has done a 3A-3T in senior competition. Did Ito ever do it? I can't recall... Regardless, that was incredible. In addition to her jumps, she has lovely spins, great skating skills and it's clear they want her to be a well-rounded skater in terms of her presentation and artistry. So excited to see her at her next event!

Satoko: That SP was glorious!:luv17: I can't get over how gorgeous her movements are...every single detail and nuance is finished to perfection. That footwork sequence with the spiral gave me chills. I thought her Memoirs of a Geisha SP last season was her best ever but this one takes the cake. The FS is fabulous though I wish she would go back to her other dress. It just suited the music more. Satoko is looking strong and focused this season and I'm here for it. Glad she's in the Final!

Elizaveta: The phoenix continues to rise! Wonderful to see her improve upon her first outing. The 3A is becoming a money jump for her. So happy to see her go for the tougher content in the FS this time. That 3Lz-3T needs to make its way to the SP if she really wants to set herself apart from the field. Amazing skates from her.

I do agree that she should be below both Rika and Satoko (obviously) in PCS. Despite her excellent jumps Liza's SS, TR and CH aren't on the same level. I'd give her a higher mark in PE & IN but she's weak in the other areas and hasn't ever really gotten any better over the years. It works for her but I don't agree with giving her a 70 in PCS just b/c she's hitting her jumps...that's what's wrong with the scoring system. I think her PCS and scores were very fair here. TES is where she shines and she hasn't hit her ceiling yet. Adding the difficulty to the SP and even going the same route Rika is and adding another 3A will make up the difference in PCS.

Mai: She was lovely in both programs. As amazing as she was here unfortunately both Satoko and Rika outshined her. The depth of the Japanese women has grown immensely over the past 2 seasons. If Mai wants to stand out she's going to have to switch something up.

Mariah: So great to see her have that FS performance. Going for the easier content may be her way to get ahead. It's clear by the scores that what she does cleanly has quality and is appreciated. She'll need the 3-3 in the SP to stay competitive but she can keep that layout for the FS. Lovely program and I loved the emotion she gave at the end:pray:. I wouldn't be shocked if she ends up dethroning Bradie this year at nationals. Bradie's content is risky and, as we've seen, isn't 100% reliable yet. If she has issues and Mariah has an easier but clean skate, I wouldn't be shocked to see her come out on top.

Eunsoo: I've been in love with this girl for a long time and I'm so happy she had such a strong debut here.:luv17: That SP was stunning and should have scored higher. She had issues in the FS but the fact that her PCS were still decent given the technical hiccups means that when she does nail it the judges will give her the scores. Her SP is beautiful, top to bottom...I'm on the fence about her FS. I love the choreography and edits, but I'm not buying Eunsoo's performance. There's this look of blank intensity on her face for the majority of the program. Chicago is sassy, sexy, upbeat and playful...enough of that doesn't come out during her performance. When she learns to bring that element to her performance she will be on another level. Love her though! I'm glad she gets to compete again this week. Fingers crossed she brings it...and the judges don't screw her.

Alena: Shout out to Grandma Alena representing for the 25+ group!:clapper: I loved her SP performance and she was so strong in the FS as well. She soundly beat Sotskova and came very close to scoring 200 points. SO happy for and proud of her!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LoLMG!!!!

I just saw Mariah Bell post a short Instagram clip from an airport in Japan where someone on TV was explaining the -5 to +5 scale. She said “only in Japan” Isn’t it cool to see how much the Japanese embrace the sport. NHK is prone to very positive events and it’s probably a direct result of the atmosphere created by the fans. I think the only complaint I’ve had with an event in Japan was that weird diving board a few years back. I think that’s the one where the Eurosport lady was doggin on Satoko’s boots being too big for some reason :hopelessness:

I’m so jealous of those of you who get to have viewing parties. I count it a win just to find enough time to find a WiFi connection and stream the event on my phone or iPad. I’m very thankful for all the play by plays and discussions here at GS during and after the events. It’s fun to share the passion with so many people.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
LoLMG!!!!

I just saw Mariah Bell post a short Instagram clip from an airport in Japan where someone on TV was explaining the -5 to +5. She said “only in Japan” Isn’t it cool to see how much the Japanese embrace the sport. NHK is prone to very positive events and it’s probably a direct result of the atmosphere created by the fans. I think the only complaint I’ve had with an event in Japan was that weird diving board a few years back. I think that’s the one where the Eurosport lady was doggin on Satoko’s boots being too big for some reason :hopelessness:

On the morning or noon news shows, I've seen a protocol sheet (usually Yuzu's or Shoma's) blown up and dissected, element by element for up to 30 MINUTES! Usually they invite a skater or commentator like Honda or Oda or Sano Minoru to help with this.
The fandom is serious over here.

Last edited: