StSq
CCoSp

Shame about her money combo. The rest was ok

SP: 35.90+33.00 = 68.90, 2/21

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Gabrielle Daleman

Ouch, a step-out on the last part of the 3T+3T. Decent speed on the layback but not very difficult (Level 3). Good center on the flying camel spin (Level 4). Powerful and high 3Lz. Nice bracket into the 2A. Footwork had good edges but could be more refined (Level 4). Fairly strong combo spin to finish (Level 4).

A few hitches on the first few elements and she's a bit annoyed at herself on the step-out on the usually solid 3T+3T. I still don't think this is a great recording of Carmen with those pitchy lyrics. I like the better costume but I think she could be flirtier, sharper, more fiery.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
22 CHEN Karen (USA)

Music: On Golden Pond (soundtrack) by Dave Grusin

White sparkly dress with long gloves

3Lz - hand down, stepout
CCoSp
FCSp
StSq
3Lo+2T
2A
LSp

Messy lutz, so no 3-3. Really nice spins though. She shakes head and smile

SP: 33.53+32.37 = 65.90, 4/22

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Karen Chen

Hand-down with a slight step-out on the opening 3Lz. Great speed through the combo spin (Level 4). And another blurry flying camel spin. Gentle edgework in the step sequence (Level 4). Good 3-turns into the 3Lo+2T to fill the combo slot. Beautiful spiral and a clean 2A. Wonderful layback spin, one of the best in the business (Level 4).

Just landed a bit heavy on the opening jump with a lot of power. Fantastic spins as usual from Chen today - a tempered performance for her to Golden Pond. She was good on her feet to tack on the 2T but she will lose quite a few points in the technical on the missed 3Lz. Seems like the American ladies are just too nervous or pushing too much.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
23 TURSYNBAEVA Elizabet (KAZ)

Music: Carmen Fantasie by Georges Bizet performed by David Garrett

Strapless red dress with black sheer overlay

2Lo* - stepout
CCoSp
3S+3T
2A
FCSp - bit slow
LSp
StSq - stumble?

Costly pop on solo jump

SP: 28.27+29.68 = 57.95, 8/23

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Elizabet Tursynbaeva

Ouch, only a 2Lo. A little bit of travel but fast combo spin. Strong 3S+3T with clean landings, and a clean 2A with good ride-out. A bit slow on the flying camel spin (Level 3). Alright through the layback spin (Level 4). Step sequence a bit of a struggle but got a lot of steps in (Level 3).

Shame on the popped Loop which will receive no credit at all. I think her movements could be fuller and have more attack to portray Carmen. She's a bit too dainty and light to get that across, more Cinderella than Carmen in my mind. She's not going to like these marks.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
24 CHOI Dabin (KOR)

Music: Papa Can You Hear Me

White/turquoise ombre dress

3Lz+3T - ok, maybe 3T<
CCoSp
FCSp
3F
2A
StSq
LSp

Very nice skate, good for her.

Have to go to work now, so no pbps

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Dabin Choi

Opening 3Lz+3T looks clean to me! (EDIT: After looking at it upon the replay, I can see why the judges gave it within the 90 degree leeway due to the angle, but I would have dinged it with the < given how strict the event had been going with the URs.) Back entry into the combo spin with nice positions (Level 4). Decent speed in the flying camel spin, nice layover as well (Level 4). Careful into the 3F and a slow but clean 2A. Good flow and soft edgework in the footwork sequence (Level 4). And great speed through the layback spin with a nice Biellmann (Level 4).

Wonderful performance for Dabin Choi today! Great triple-triple with no under-rotation and Level 4s on all the technical elements. She could have more speed across the ice and more intricate choreography. But really, come on, she had a clean, fantastic skate in her home country. Woot!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
25 Yevgenia Medvedeva (OAR)

Costume: black bodice with purple shadings and silver stonining. White sleeves and a filmy skirt. It makes me think of a starry night.

Music: Nocturne n.20 in C-Sharp Minor op.Posth (Joshua Bell version) by Frederic Chopin; choreo by Daniil Gleikhengauz, I. Averbukh, A. Zhelezniakov

Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Fly. Camel Spin 44.41
2Step Sequence 46.00
3Triple Flip + Triple Toeloop11.96
4Triple Loop7.41
5Double Axel4.63
6Change Foot Combination Spin 44.79
7Layback Spin 43.99
Technical Elements Score:43.19

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Yevgenia Medvedeva (OAR)

Well-centered camel spin to start(Level 4). Smooth edges and complicated step sequence (Level 4). Strong 3F(tano)+3T in the second half. Clear footwork into the 3Lo, a secure 2A with the arm aloft. Good center on the combination spin and a calm, sparkling layback spin (Level 4).

A great performance! It won't be as technically strong in base value because of the lack of the 3Lz compared to Zagitova, but she did everything she could at pretty much the +2 to +3 range. I'm still a bit miffed about the heartbeat sounds that I don't think is necessary and actually distract from the performance, especially the ending. But this should set her extremely well for the free.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
26 Satoko Miyahara (JPN)

Costume: Pale pink long sleeved dress, with elaborately stoned bodice, and a skirt with bright fuchsia shading

Music Sayuri's Theme (Memoirs of a Geisha (soundtrack) by John Williams); choreo by Lori Nichol
Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Triple Lutz + Triple Toeloop11.00
2Fly. Camel Spin 44.20
3Change Foot Combination Spin 44.57
4Triple Loop6.31
5Step Sequence 45.70
6Double Axel4.34
7Layback Spin 44.13
Technical Elements Score:40.25

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara (JPN)

3Lz+3T to open, may be < to me. Very tidy flying camel spin (Level 4). Wonderful change foot combo spin (Level 4). Solid and secure 3Lo. Love the change of tempo and the precision of the footwork sequence, very elongated. 2A not that high but still clean. Great arch in her back and a well-centered layback spin (Level 4).

Lovely performance from Satoko today. Lovely triple-triple that I don't think was under-rotated at all. She's going to get about +1s and some +2s on the jumps, so her technical mark will be lower than the Russians. But her spins are fantastically positioned and she really shows off the music with spritely presentation and deep edges.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
27 Kaetlyn Osmond (CAN)

Costume: Black elbow high gloves, and a little black with some deep purple shading dress with wide shoulder straps and some rhinestones

Music“Sous le ciel de Paris" by Hubert Giraud performed by Edith Piaf, "Milord" by Marguerite Monnot performed by Edith Piaf; choreo by Lance Vipond
Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Triple Flip + Triple Toeloop11.50
2Triple Lutz7.60
3Fly. Camel Spin 43.99
4Double Axel4.70
5Layback Spin 43.77
6Step Sequence 45.70
7Change Foot Combination Spin 44.57
Technical Elements Score:41.83

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kaetlyn Osmond (CAN)

Beautiful, high, and crisp 3F+3T. Wonderful ride-out on the 3Lz with an extended, held edge. Great center on the flying camel spin (Level 4). And a strong running edge out of the 2A as well. Precise and centered layback spin (Level 4). Good illusion steps and good expression through the footwork sequence (Level 4). And a nice broken leg spin in the change foot combination spin (Level 4).

Love how high her jumps are, along with the held running edges out from them. Her spins were a bit more centered than usual. Much better technically than her short program in the team event. She was freer than I typically see her; this short program has been good for her for the last two seasons and this was the best she's performed it. Should be in the high 70s.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
28 Alina Zagitova (OAR)

Costume: White tutu streaked with purple, purple gloves, black, white, and purple spiky/feathery bodice design with silver stoning. This costume made me think "Frozen" more than "Swan"

Music Black Swan film soundtrack by Clint Mansell and "The Middle of the World" (from Moonlight film soundtrack by Nicholas Britell); choreo by Daniil Gleikhengauz
Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Fly. Camel Spin 44.34
2Step Sequence 45.70
3Triple Lutz + Triple Loop13.71
4Triple Flip7.93
5Double Axel4.56
6Layback Spin 44.06
7Change Foot Combination Spin 45.00
Technical Elements Score:45.30

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Alina Zagitova (OAR)

Love her starting position. Fantastic center on the flying camel spin. Difficult steps with defined curves in the footwork sequence, a bit slow but very well-executed (Level 4). High and very clean 3Lz+3Lo right in the second half. Great 3F with both hands aloft. Good bracket into the 2A. And nice Y-spiral into a centered layback spin (Level 4). Extremely tidy combo spin with a stunning Y-spin and illusion done with speed (Level 4).

Wow! Fantastic skate from Zagitova with pretty much the same GOE grades on her elements as her rival Medvedeva. That Lutz+Loop combo gives her two points over Med and that will come into play in this competition. I still think that Medvedeva has better interpretive skill and composition, but Zagitova has her on the technical. This will likely be around 85 points. (Wow, only 82, interesting scoring here.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
29 Carolina Kostner (ITA)

Costume: Deep cranberry red dress with beading in the same shade and a deep vee neckline, wide straps with a little bit of a ruffle on the edges of the straps.

Music"Ne me quitte pas," by Jacques Brel, performed by Céline Dion; choreo by Lori Nichol
Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Triple Flip + Double Toeloop7.70
2Triple Loop4.40
3Fly. Camel Spin 43.99
4Double Axel4.70
5Layback Spin 43.77
6Step Sequence 46.00
7Change Foot Combination Spin 44.50
Technical Elements Score:35.06

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner (ITA)

Only a 3F+2T but clean nonetheless. Hmm, a hand-down on the 3Lo. A decent flying camel spin (Level 4). Well-landed 2A. Lovely arm positions in the layback spin that expresses the music (Level 4). Wonderful ability to lean into her edges and good dimension in the footwork sequence (Level 4). Nice hands behind the back and good center for the combination spin.

That 2T will knock her technical score by about 2.5 points and the hand-down on the 3Lo will cost her about a point as well, in addition to the lack of positive GOE bonus points. Kostner just wasn't able to get the clean landings she needed today, but she's still the most mature skater out there and has the best interpretative skill of the group. That music just runs through her in the transitions and footwork. She will still be in the final group but be near the lower 70s.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
30 Maria Sotskova (OAR)

Costume: Peach-pink with cap sleeves and a moderate vee neckline, elaborate stoning on the bodice, and stoned faux wide choker neclace.

MusicWaltz from Swan Lake by Petr I. Tchaikovski; choreo by Irina Tagaeva, Petr Tchernyshev
Element
Number
DescriptionScore
1Triple Lutz3.90
2Change Foot Combination Spin 44.14
3Triple Flip + Triple Toeloop (under-rotated)8.43
4Double Axel4.13
5Fly. Camel Spin 33.30
6Step Sequence 34.30
7Layback Spin 43.27
Technical Elements Score:31.47

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova (OAR)

Ouch, a fall on the attempted 3Lz. Alright combo spin, may be short on some levels there (Level 3). Good 3F+3T with tanos with a wide-swining landing on the 3F but the 3T may be under-rotated (and it was marked so). Fairly good 2A. Loss of some speed on the flying camel spin on the entry (Level 2). Fairly clean edgework in the footwork sequence (Level 3). Stronger layback spin but not the best positions (Level 4).

A lot of her elements are under review, which just shows how rough that performance was. The bent arm in her tanos are a bit distracting. She's still a bit stiff in the facial expression, but she has good posture and pleasant arms. The connection to the music wavered in and out, with her sometimes hitting the beat of the march but sometimes not.