2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 202 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Amei

Record Breaker
So she left CSKA recently? Not say yesterday?

What coaches in St. Petersburg besides Mishin? Turenko? Nastya skated well for her 3 years ago.

What about Valentina Chebotareva who coaches both Kolyada and Konstantinova they are both lovely skaters with decent jumps/spins and have been with her since they were young children, Kolyada has all the quads (landing them consistently in competition is a different story...sadly).

Orlov

Medalist
Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova answered Instagram questions from subscribers.

Q: How many calories a day do you eat?
A: No more than 1000. [tbh, this is very little, if my memory serves me a woman who is actively involved in sports needs about 2000 calories per day]

Q: Have you ever been on a diet?
A: My life is one continuous diet.

Q: What kind of food does forbided by coach?
A: Coach not forbided anything, we are already at a sufficiently conscious age to control ourselves.

Q: Do you have any hobby other than your favorite figure skating?
A: Recently, I love to cook.

Q: Ever thought about becoming a model?
A: It would be interesting to try yourself in this role.

Q: Your dream as an athlete?
“Everything is clear without words,” wrote Sotskova, accompanying the answer with a photo from the Olympic Games in Pkhenchkhane.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova answered Instagram questions from subscribers.

A: No more than 1000.

Q: Have you ever been on a diet?
A: My life is one continuous diet.

Q: What kind of food does forbided by coach?
A: Coach not forbided anything, we are already at a sufficiently conscious age to control ourselves.

Q: Ever thought about becoming a model?
A: It would be interesting to try yourself in this role.

Q: Your dream as an athlete?
“Everything is clear without words,” wrote Sotskova, accompanying the answer with a photo from the Olympic Games in Pkhenchkhane.

So glad Maria is doing well after her dad's unexpected tragic passing. This is a big upcoming season for her.

Scott512

Record Breaker
What about Valentina Chebotareva who coaches both Kolyada and Konstantinova they are both lovely skaters with decent jumps/spins and have been with her since they were young children, Kolyada has all the quads (landing them consistently in competition is a different story...sadly).

I would love to see her with Stasyas coach. I don't know what will happen. I only hope Anastasiia is fine after basically getting fired by a well-known coach. I am sure some known coaches will want her because of her talent her natural ability and skate and feel the music. I only hope her former coach Buyanova has not muddy the waters so much for her that nobody wants her. I don't think that's the case. But I just don't know.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I think Gubanova's skating career, for Russia, is pretty much done. With the talent in her country, it'll be impossible for her to catch up technically, especially if she's going through puberty; there's no time to adapt and adjust. And then of course she didn't just leave CSKA, her coach expelled her. No coach wants to work with someone 1) in the middle of struggling with their technique and 2) was blasted by their old coach for "not being in shape" ie. not working hard enough. And then of course it wasn't just anyone, but Buyanova, who expelled her. With her connections to the fed and TAT, even is Gubanova sorts out her technical issues, is rich enough to train internationally, etc., etc., she's on the blacklist of the most influential people in her federation. For example, she wasn't even able to get a JW spot when she really deserved it, due to politicking, and this was before she offended anyone.

What a waste of talent, that R&J performance was one of the best.

But let's not be so quick to judge. Buyanova messed up with her really talented student, so she's probably not a great coach. But her other students left. Gubanova was expelled, so there may be more behind the scenes. Being a bad coach doesn't make you terrible for expelling a student if there were indeed other issues.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yeah, i mean there are more good enough coaches who can work with Gubanova, as Volchkova or Urmanov for example, but i dont see how anyone can make her be a top contender in current Russian ladies field. I dont think its a coaching problem, she is just not that good comparing to the others in Russia, nor any coach can change that reality. And i wouldnt blame Buyanova that much. Would you as a coach work with someone who can't represent you on a big stage internationaly, if you are able to choose? I dont think so.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think Gubanova's skating career, for Russia, is pretty much done. With the talent in her country, it'll be impossible for her to catch up technically, especially if she's going through puberty; there's no time to adapt and adjust. And then of course she didn't just leave CSKA, her coach expelled her. No coach wants to work with someone 1) in the middle of struggling with their technique and 2) was blasted by their old coach for "not being in shape" ie. not working hard enough. And then of course it wasn't just anyone, but Buyanova, who expelled her. With her connections to the fed and TAT, even is Gubanova sorts out her technical issues, is rich enough to train internationally, etc., etc., she's on the blacklist of the most influential people in her federation. For example, she wasn't even able to get a JW spot when she really deserved it, due to politicking, and this was before she offended anyone.

What a waste of talent, that R&J performance was one of the best.

But let's not be so quick to judge. Buyanova messed up with her really talented student, so she's probably not a great coach. But her other students left. Gubanova was expelled, so there may be more behind the scenes. Being a bad coach doesn't make you terrible for expelling a student if there were indeed other issues.

There are plenty of coaches who would want to work with her because of her natural skating ability great skating skills and ability to feel the music. Nastya will be a project for most coaches to be taught new jump techniques and landing techniques but a project worth taking on. I don't believe she's a bad person or a bad girl and I'm embarrassed at this 56 year old woman her former coach who could not help Polina and Masha publicly lambaste Anastasia as some kind of troublemaker who could not fulfill her duties as a student. That is unprofessional and vicious behavior from a coach trying to harm the career of a 16 year old girl. All she had to say was we are not working together anymore and that's it. But I guess that's just not the Russian way.

I hope Anastasia ends up with Alexei Mishin or her former coach Turenko. Of course I would love to see her end up with the best coach in the world Eteri. But there is probably less than a 1% chance of that happening I hope the Russian Federation is helping this girl find the right coach. Nastya has had too many coaching changes the last 3 or 4 years. Poor kiddo I hope she's okay.

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of this:

A: No more than 1000....

:)

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yeah, i mean there are more good enough coaches who can work with Gubanova, as Volchkova or Urmanov for example, but i dont see how anyone can make her be a top contender in current Russian ladies field. I dont think its a coaching problem, she is just not that good comparing to the others in Russia, nor any coach can change that reality.

I happen to think Nastya has a lot more talent than you do especially natural talent. no doubt she has issues with jumping's and landings of those jobs.

But without the proper coach it's hard to fulfill your potential. Look at what the best coaches have done for most skaters over the years. The right coach makes a big difference. and whether anybody can get Anastasia to the top of the game is irrelevant to me. Coaching should be about more than gold medals. If someone could take Nastya from the number 9 or 10 Russian right now to the number five or six Russian in a year or two that's a great coaching job in my book.

I just hope she's not shattered and ruined by this. Splitting from your coach is one thing but getting expelled and publicly lambasted internationally is another. But I suppose the wonderful wink-wink Russian Federation is good with it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I happen to think Nastya has a lot more talent than you do especially natural talent. no doubt she has issues with jumping's and landings of those jobs.

But without the proper coach it's hard to fulfill your potential.
I didnt say she has no natural talent. Or fine skating skills and great feel for the music. But other girls in Russia have much more than that... which is reflecting in their scores... And which is a reality i was talking about... With the first time seniors on the horizont, and already established seniors as Alina, Liza, Zhenya and some others who already presented themselves at GP/European/Worlds, I really dont see Anastasia's chances... I mean, sometimes the reality you are living in is just cruel, because there is no place behind the rainbow for everyone. If you want to blame someone for what is happening to her, you need to blame ISU for their GP rules.

katymay

Medalist
There are plenty of coaches who would want to work with her because of her natural skating ability great skating skills and ability to feel the music. Nastya will be a project for most coaches to be taught new jump techniques and landing techniques but a project worth taking on. I don't believe she's a bad person or a bad girl and I'm embarrassed at this 56 year old woman her former coach who could not help Polina and Masha publicly lambaste Anastasia as some kind of troublemaker who could not fulfill her duties as a student. That is unprofessional and vicious behavior from a coach trying to harm the career of a 16 year old girl. All she had to say was we are not working together anymore and that's it. But I guess that's just not the Russian way.

I hope Anastasia ends up with Alexei Mishin or her former coach Turenko. Of course I would love to see her end up with the best coach in the world Eteri. But there is probably less than a 1% chance of that happening I hope the Russian Federation is helping this girl find the right coach. Nastya has had too many coaching changes the last 3 or 4 years. Poor kiddo I hope she's okay.

I think she is wonderful-at Russian Nationals last year I was so impressed-even though there were growing pains throughout the year, she came back with a vengeance. She throws herself into jumps with zero hesitation, and that doesn't always work, but when it does-what a sight to behold. And yes, a coach releasing such a statement is offensive. Shame Shame Shame. I hope she finds a coach, comes back with a vengence and blows people away this year.

colormyworld240

Medalist

Except that doesn't mean much if you're known to be "difficult to work with and lazy" which is what Buyanova basically said. Buyanova may not be successful in the past, but we can't take her criticism of Gubanova to be false, regardless of their age gap, as we weren't there. That's what the other coaches will go on, as they have no reason to not. The fact that Buyanova couldn't help Elena, Masha, or Polina doesn't make her statement false, either. She doesn't have a reputation for banishing students, so it will seem like something specific to Gubanova. The ladies' skating field is so crowded with talent in Russia, there are tons of girls who have musicality and talent and have a work ethic that is unmatched. Take Tarakanova, for example. She has some of the best skating skills of the Russian ladies, and a huge passion for the sport. But after Plushenko publicly said she had a difficult character, there weren't many coaches left for her. And that is without the influence Buyanova has. We don't know what went down between Gubanova and Buyanova, but so far there is only Buyanova's statement and nothing to disprove it.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
And how you can claim Buyanova is not a successful coach when she was the coach whose student gave Russia the first ladies Olympic gold in history? There is just no sense in that (kind of a) statement, considering her past achievments. I understand all your concerns and love you have for individual skaters, but lets try to be objective sometimes, and not to think emotionally about every single topic which is coming out in this thread.

moriel

Record Breaker
Let me just dislike Buyanova for a couple of minutes.
Poor Nastya.

I am somewhat worried now because Tsurskaya retired. Sotskova changed coaches. Gubanova was kicked. Which means they will need some top skater for CSKA. Which means either poaching (which I hope won't be easy anymore since Sochi was a long time ago, and the rep was going down the drain since then) or some insane politiking at domestic competitions.

Also, regardless of the statement being true or not, I am sure there would be a more polite way to dismiss a student than this, specially because, after such a label from a well known and influential coach, I can see how some coaches would consider not taking her in, because who knows, maybe it is true.

I can't avoid but roll eyes a little bit remembering folks who complained that Eteri does not support her students. BEcause about a year ago, Buyanova was brought as one of the examples of nice and friendly coach who would take all, help and support and blablabla

Scott512

Record Breaker
Except that doesn't mean much if you're known to be "difficult to work with and lazy" which is what Buyanova basically said. Buyanova may not be successful in the past, but we can't take her criticism of Gubanova to be false, regardless of their age gap, as we weren't there. That's what the other coaches will go on, as they have no reason to not. The fact that Buyanova couldn't help Elena, Masha, or Polina doesn't make her statement false, either. She doesn't have a reputation for banishing students, so it will seem like something specific to Gubanova. The ladies' skating field is so crowded with talent in Russia, there are tons of girls who have musicality and talent and have a work ethic that is unmatched. Take Tarakanova, for example. She has some of the best skating skills of the Russian ladies, and a huge passion for the sport. But after Plushenko publicly said she had a difficult character, there weren't many coaches left for her. And that is without the influence Buyanova has. We don't know what went down between Gubanova and Buyanova, but so far there is only Buyanova's statement and nothing to disprove it.

Buyanovas statements about Nastya make her a bitter teacher. Seems Nastya has kept things classy and has already moved on without trashing this coach and CSKA who expelled her. All Buyanova had to say was we have parted ways and tell Nastya things privately that she needs to hear. Dont go public with gossip to harm the girl. Buyanova took Adelina to olympic gold in 2014 but hasnt done much as a coach since. She probably thought Gubanova could get her back winning s a coach and is bitter about that not happening. She is acting like the child not Nastya. Who would want to take their child to this goof of a coach when she turned on Nastya like that? I just hope Nastya can recover at this point find a good coach who can help her and move on.

And if Nastya had difficulties with puberty and the emotions of a 16 year old girl there should be better ways to help her then expell her like she is some kind of bad person or criminal. Buyanova has bombed with a few good Russian ladies since Adelina. It is underniable and her rep is taking a hit. Karma?

Think about it. When we were 16 how would be like it if our 56 year old teacher did something to publicly harm us internationally for millions to hear about? We wouldn't. Thats what happened here. Sad.

If Nastya doesnt get a new coach soon it's time to look at skating for another country. A couple pop into my mind and they aren't in Europe or Asia. ;)

moriel

Record Breaker
How is expensive would it be to go to Switzerland and train with Lambiel? She has the artistry and he would give her beautiful programs.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...sult.jsp?country1=Russia&country2=Switzerland
Consumer Prices in Switzerland are 218.96% higher than in Russia
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Switzerland are 241.28% higher than in Russia
Rent Prices in Switzerland are 319.29% higher than in Russia
Restaurant Prices in Switzerland are 217.43% higher than in Russia
Groceries Prices in Switzerland are 294.90% higher than in Russia

Of course this is a very approximate comparison, but Switzerland is very expensive compared to Russia. So if her family lives in Russia, and earns Russian salary, they are unlikely to be able to afford something like this, as the cost of living is 3-4x higher. Then, on top of that, she would have to pay for the coaching and stuff, and she is not even in the national team to earn salary and other $$$ fed pays for the team members.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think she is wonderful-at Russian Nationals last year I was so impressed-even though there were growing pains throughout the year, she came back with a vengeance. She throws herself into jumps with zero hesitation, and that doesn't always work, but when it does-what a sight to behold. And yes, a coach releasing such a statement is offensive. Shame Shame Shame. I hope she finds a coach, comes back with a vengence and blows people away this year.

Thanks I needed that. :) Amazing positive post. I so agree. When shes on Nastya is such a sight to behold.

Yes shame on the coach for badmouthing her former pupil who has no voice and no stature as an up and coming skater. I have been fired a couple of times in my life and I would have been devastated if my ex boss went public on what I did wrong. Or put it on facebook for example I have also fired a couple people and never went public or told other people not to work with these fired people. Buyanova is basiclly saying Nastya is trouble stay a way from her. That is horrible. Disgraceful. Hoping Nastya can rebound from this brutal experience and come back with a vengeance like you said Katy for next season.

bloomies20

Rinkside
Being expelled from CSKA is a fairly serious matter as you have to do something pretty bad to be expelled altogether. Even Buyanova is not really known to say bad things about her current/former skaters so for her to publicly say this means there is some truth to the matter. Its looking like another Tarakanova situation again where Gubanova will probably find it difficult to find another coach and she'll either have to return to a former coach like Turenko or decide to skate for another country altogether.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Buyanovas statements about Nastya make her a bitter teacher. Seems Nastya has kept things classy and has already moved on without trashing this coach and CSKA who expelled her. All Buyanova had to say was we have parted ways and tell Nastya things privately that she needs to hear. Dont go public with gossip to harm the girl. Buyanova took Adelina to olympic gold in 2014 but hasnt done much as a coach since. She probably thought Gubanova could get her back winning s a coach and is bitter about that not happening. She is acting like the child not Nastya. Who would want to take their child to this goof of a coach when she turned on Nastya like that? I just hope Nastya can recover at this point find a good coach who can help her and move on.

And if Nastya had difficulties with puberty and the emotions of a 16 year old girl there should be better ways to help her then expell her like she is some kind of bad person or criminal. Buyanova has bombed with a few good Russian ladies since Adelina. It is underniable and her rep is taking a hit. Karma?

Think about it. When we were 16 how would be like it if our 56 year old teacher did something to publicly harm us internationally for millions to hear about? We wouldn't. Thats what happened here. Sad.

If Nastya doesnt get a new coach soon it's time to look at skating for another country. A couple pop into my mind and they aren't in Europe or Asia. ;)

It's not good to publicly slam your student. But the reality is, she did, and her comments will be taken into consideration when considering Gubanova. That's the reality. As for who would take their kids to Buyanova? Probably a lot of people. Everyone knows the power the has, and she has TAT's backing as well. Playing the game in sports is not just being the best athlete, there is so much politics involved and that can trump talent. That's why burning the bridge with Buyanova is dangerous; she is powerful and Gubanova doesn't have a string of competitive success and reputation to cling to.

I think her best bet is to skate for another country. But to do that, the Russian Fed would have to release her. If they thinks she's talented and can put up ANY competition with Russian girls, they won't. Or maybe if they think she's not talented, they still won't release her because she upset some powerful people. Either way, it's difficult and her chances are slim. It's a very depressing situation.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Let me just dislike Buyanova for a couple of minutes.
Poor Nastya.

I am somewhat worried now because Tsurskaya retired. Sotskova changed coaches. Gubanova was kicked. Which means they will need some top skater for CSKA. Which means either poaching (which I hope won't be easy anymore since Sochi was a long time ago, and the rep was going down the drain since then) or some insane politiking at domestic competitions.

Also, regardless of the statement being true or not, I am sure there would be a more polite way to dismiss a student than this, specially because, after such a label from a well known and influential coach, I can see how some coaches would consider not taking her in, because who knows, maybe it is true.

I can't avoid but roll eyes a little bit remembering folks who complained that Eteri does not support her students. BEcause about a year ago, Buyanova was brought as one of the examples of nice and friendly coach who would take all, help and support and blablabla
That about sums it up.

There is a more polite way to dismiss someone. Privately. But Buyanova did it in a bitter way with innuendo about Nastya that may not be true or fair. Nastya has no reputation as a bad girl or party girl or troublemaker. It could be something or it could be nothing. But this should have been dealt with privately. The feelings of a 16 year old girl should be more important than those of a bitter 56 year old woman. But not in this instance. Sad. And CSKA is not doing well. We know who their top coach is. ;)