2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019 Worlds: Ice Dance Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Friday, 1:30pm, and I work from home and for myself. Is there a "smug grin" smiley available? :laugh:

Well it’s so often a better time in Europe I guess we have to miss out sometimes!

I've taken the day off. There is no way I could possibly concentrate at work. :hap93:

It’s going to be torture! I’ll definitely be taking my break for Lilah and Lewis!

You have your priorities straight! On your death bed, you will regret not seeing competitions, but you will NEVER say, "Boy, I wish I could have spent just one more day at work.":thumbsup:

Very true!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
No, the draw for exact starting order isn't until a day or so before worlds. They'll draw according for the spots that I indicated (i.e. the 5 couples listed under group 6 will random draw for starting order in group 6)

WS could potentially change up until worlds if any of the couples compete before that, but I don't think any of them are and it won't make a difference unless they're borderline on a group.

So according to this list either Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson, Alexandra Nazarova / Maxim Nikitin or Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto will be the last skater in group 4?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So according to this list either Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson, Alexandra Nazarova / Maxim Nikitin or Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto will be the last skater in group 4?

No, you are misunderstanding Koatterce's post.

Depending on the luck of the draw, any of those three couples potentially could draw the first spot in Group 1, the first spot in Group 4, or any spot in between.
The same is true for all the other couples whom Koatterce listed below their names.

Good luck to everyone. :yay:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Ah so ranking doesn’t count for the first to third group? Coolio, I’m excited!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Caveat: But it is not a rule for ISU championships SP/RD start orders that "ranking doesn’t count for the first to third group."

For this particular number of RD entries, it just happens to work out (more or less) that way.

(Just want to be super-clear to avoid confusion down the road.)

I will try to keep quiet now and let Koatterce answer any further questions.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No dog fighting please...just dog loving....What is interesting about the lower teams is how much they can improve at times...with maybe the right coach...but I love them all for their performance art....more popcorn!

Well who can argue with any of that?

:confused2:

Not someone I want to know!

:agree:

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Caveat: But it is not a rule for ISU championships SP/RD start orders that "ranking doesn’t count for the first to third group."

For this particular number of RD entries, it just happens to work out (more or less) that way.

(Just want to be super-clear to avoid confusion down the road.)

I will try to keep quiet now and let Koatterce answer any further questions.

no worries, you can answer questions too!

Here's how grouping works.

First, figure out how many groups/how many skaters are in each group based on the number of competitors.
In this case, there are 27 skaters, so there are 6 groups. Groups 1-3 have 4 skaters each, and groups 4-6 have 5 skaters each.

Now this is where ranking comes in. Rank all competing skaters by their world ranking, and then split this list in half (extra person is in the higher ranked half in the case of odd numbers).
In this case, Hubbell/Donohue to Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen constitute the higher ranked half (top 14), and Fear/Gibson to Bunina/Frolov constitute the lower ranked half (lower 13).

For the lower ranked half:
All skaters in the lower ranked half will compete in the first half, with exact starting order being determined at the draw.
In this case, with 13 couples being in the lower half, they will constitute groups 1-3 and the first spot in group 4.

For the higher ranked half:
The last group will consist of the top ranked couples. The second last group will consist of the next ranked couples. Starting order within the group will be determined at the draw.
In this case, both groups have 5 couples, so the last group is from Hubbell/Donohue to Chock/Bates, and the second last group is from Hawayek/Baker to Kaliszek/Spodyriev.
All remaining skaters will fill the remaining spots, with exact starting order determined at the draw.
In this case, the remaining skaters are from Wang/Liu to Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, and they will fill the remaining spots - the last 4 spots of group 4.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(and yes, I watch FS in the office on my mobile, which is lying behind my keyboard) :laugh:
Arrrrggguuuuuhhhhh....NNNOOOOOOO.....Tell your boss your cubicle or mahagony lined office needs a 24 in monitor at least to be able to watch skating!!!! Let him/her know how important you really are and that you need to be kept happy...we are talking the WORLDS here...not some low level Gonzaga basketball game where everyone has a pool going and productivity comes to a halt for a month....

LadyB

Record Breaker
Arrrrggguuuuuhhhhh....NNNOOOOOOO.....Tell your boss your cubicle or mahagony lined office needs a 24 in monitor at least to be able to watch skating!!!! Let him/her know how important you really are and that you need to be kept happy...we are talking the WORLDS here...not some low level Gonzaga basketball game where everyone has a pool going and productivity comes to a halt for a month....

What a beautiful idea!!! :hap10: I have it on one of my two PC screens running in the background sometimes, earphones at the ready.... Unfortunately, it's an open plan office...

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you! That an interesting way of doing it. The ISU can be confusing sometimes!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What a beautiful idea!!! :hap10: I have it on one of my two PC screens running in the background sometimes, earphones at the ready.... Unfortunately, it's an open plan office...

Open office! We need to push you up the ladder.:agree: When I had to work for a living 15 years ago (it was the worst 30 years of my life) I was fortunate enough to fool people into thinking I was important enough to have my own office with a window. AND my own garage...they said I was able to fool them cause I was so boring I was one of the few people who could make it though the 6 week back round and polygraph test....But yes, I was too honest to watch skating on the job....its tough to be boring! :laugh2:
I think you should hold out for a cubicle! Tell them you have agoraphobia and need accomidation....this is the WORLDS after all!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Open office! We need to push you up the ladder.:agree: When I had to work for a living 15 years ago (it was the worst 30 years of my life) I was fortunate enough to fool people into thinking I was important enough to have my own office with a window. AND my own garage...they said I was able to fool them cause I was so boring I was one of the few people who could make it though the 6 week back round and polygraph test....But yes, I was too honest to watch skating on the job....its tough to be boring! :laugh2:
I think you should hold out for a cubicle! Tell them you have agoraphobia and need accomidation....this is the WORLDS after all!

I love the way your mind works! :cool2: I can watch Pairs before I go to work, so won't miss anything apart from having a proper chat with you guys, which is awful since that is half the fun.
I can just about cope with interrupted Ladies SP, but I'm dreading not being able to watch Men's SP properly on the Thursday. After that I won't be offline for days on end :luv17:
I've done already the shopping list for food/booze supplies....

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just found out yesterday I’ll be working for two weeks solid starting Monday, so during the WC. Hopefully they won’t be all 12 hour shifts so I can catch up after. Such is life. Hopefully I can resist spoilers!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just found out yesterday I’ll be working for two weeks solid starting Monday, so during the WC. Hopefully they won’t be all 12 hour shifts so I can catch up after. Such is life. Hopefully I can resist spoilers!

12 hour shifts....:noshake:
Are you a fire fighter, hospital person, or police person?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I love the way your mind works! :cool2: I can watch Pairs before I go to work, so won't miss anything apart from having a proper chat with you guys, which is awful since that is half the fun.
I can just about cope with interrupted Ladies SP, but I'm dreading not being able to watch Men's SP properly on the Thursday. After that I won't be offline for days on end :luv17:
I've done already the shopping list for food/booze supplies....

Now you're talkin'. and you have your priorites straight! But the booze and food need to be reversed.
I am trying to fool an upcoming cholesteral test on next Friday into thinking my LDL has dropped so its the mediteranian diet for me for the next seven days....I would kill for a double bacon double cheeseburger about now but I dont think there is any cholesterol in margarittas....:thumbsup:
I am going to need them after worlds cause I will go into skating withdrawl.....:sad21:
"YES! I will even watch regionals!"

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
12 hour shifts....:noshake:
Are you a fire fighter, hospital person, or police person?

Nope I work in TV. Long shifts but I’ll acrew a lot of days off in lieu as compensation! I’ll probably have about five days off in a row! I’ve got my TiVo set up so I’ll have no excuse not to watch every second!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DANCE TECH PANEL

RefereeJodi ABBOTTCAN
Tech ControllerDavid MOLINAFRA
Tech SpecAyako HIGASHINOJPN
Asst Tech SpecDenis SAMOKHINRUS

LadyB

Record Breaker
Now you're talkin'. and you have your priorites straight! But the booze and food need to be reversed.
I am trying to fool an upcoming cholesteral test on next Friday into thinking my LDL has dropped so its the mediteranian diet for me for the next seven days....I would kill for a double bacon double cheeseburger about now but I dont think there is any cholesterol in margarittas....:thumbsup:
I am going to need them after worlds cause I will go into skating withdrawl.....:sad21:
"YES! I will even watch regionals!"

Oh no, my heart goes out to you. Wishing you luck for your cholesterol test! At least, you'll be way healthier than me!!!
I already watch (Russian) regionals like a thing possessed. I even know little kids' names and recognise them! It's like an addiction. :yahoo:
Getting seriously excited now!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh no, my heart goes out to you. Wishing you luck for your cholesterol test! At least, you'll be way healthier than me!!!
I already watch (Russian) regionals like a thing possessed. I even know little kids' names and recognise them! It's like an addiction. :yahoo:
Getting seriously excited now!

Addiction? "Hello, is this skatefan anonymoose? My Name is Coyote Chris, and I am a skateaholyic"
(And no, I am not making fun of alchoholics...my dad was one and I have the propensity for it but thankfully I also have will power from my mom's side of the family. But yes, I am addicted to bacon. Bacon and skating. OK, bacon, skating and motorcycles. Well, maybe bacon, skating, motorcycles, camping, dogs, and aircraft racing. Ohhhh, look at the time...gotta stop there...:yahoo:) My eyes are getting blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.