2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As others have said, the big thing for G/P is going to be nailing that Rhythm Dance, as that's really their weakest point. I don't know what the pattern dance and rhythms is for next season, can anyone fill me in?
Midnight Blues — they’re doing the 2016/17 theme again.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It would definitely be wise for G/P to make the Rhythm Dance a priority. For some time now they have tended to underperform in the RD but then move up in the FD. That's how they overtook C/B at this year's Worlds and overtook H/D at the past two 4 Continents.

But it's risky for G/P to depend just on their FD to move them up the standings. They will want the RD to be strong, too.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I just looked up the rhythms
“At least two different Rhythms from the following:
"Street Dance Rhythms" (such as hip hop, disco, swing, krump, popping, funk, etc.), jazz, reggae (reggaeton) and blues”

... It will be very interesting to see some of these SDs, I remember some of the hip-hop SD from 16/17 were super cringey

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Of course I would have liked for MTM to get a chance to redeem themselves but then, if Kirsten is still having rib issues, there would be no point anyways... but I AM THRILLED to see that all these skaters get a chance to compete internationally, and perhaps secure high scores (the scores are often inflated there) which may allow them to get GP spots. Skate Canada is very wise and should be applauded for this move. After all the bad comments some people wrote on here, I hope that for once, people will get behind this selection. Very smart move considering the state of our team which is "in development" . Happy to see that Gabby has now had a lot more time to get back in shape. Hoping it will be a great event for her.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hopefully Gabby will do well, should be a lot less pressure at WTT. Although I do wish she went to worlds, I think she was the only skater that could have been paired with Maddie for the chance at getting 2 spots. She’s also one of the reasons why they had 2 spots to begin with. Oh well. I guess they felt that there was no chance at 2 spots.

As for Roman, I really hope he has a good skate here. He really needs a good international score for his world standings after his 4CC results. It would also give him some momentum for next season. With Keegan’s great skate at Worlds, I can’t really see him being left off the Olympic team unless something goes really wrong, so I think Nam and Roman really need to show off for that last spot. I’m just glad I’m not the one who has to make the decision.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, they felt she wasn't performing well enough to be viable to send. You have to evaluate what you have in front of you.
at some point though, skate canada will have to realize that Emily is not ready PCS wise to compete at high level international competitions. Without decent skating skills, all the pressure is on her jumps. No cushion there. I had some vague memories of Mira Leung watching her SP the other day.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily skates with little or no expression on her face, and her arms wave about purposelessly. She doesn't seem to relate to her music. The problem with her is that she has a coach who cannot help her students learn skating or performance skills. So unless she moves to a new coach, Emily isn't going to improve.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
at some point though, skate canada will have to realize that Emily is not ready PCS wise to compete at high level international competitions. Without decent skating skills, all the pressure is on her jumps. No cushion there. I had some vague memories of Mira Leung watching her SP the other day.
I'm sure they are aware of her limitations. Ideally she will either improve or there will be a better choice in the future. The federation can only work with what they have at any given moment.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
They should just give it to them since the one they were supposed to host was cancelled. I'm not saying that just because I want to go to it :p

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Montreal 2024?

Edit: missed Colonel Green's and Ziotic's posts. Good luck in any case!