2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Grand Prix assignments are out -- mostly domestic for Canadian skaters, as expected (Japan ended up having by far the best athlete distribution of any country; the unplanned benefits of training abroad), with Keegan and Stephen (senior debut!) getting berths at Skate America.

Skate America - Men
Stephen Gogolev
Keegan Messing

Skate Canada International - Men
Nicolas Nadeau
Nam Nguyen
Conrad Orzel
Joseph Phan
Roman Sadovsky

Skate Canada International - Ladies
Emily Bausback
Alicia Pineault
Madeline Schizas
Alison Schumacher

Skate Canada International - Pairs
Matte & Ferland
Moore-Towers & Marinaro
Purich & Chudak
Ruest & Wolfe
Walsh & Michaud

Skate Canada International - Ice dance
Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen
Fabbri & Ayer
Gilles & Poirier
Lajoie & Lagha
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs
Sales & Wamsteeker
Soucisse & Firus

Diminished circumstances, perhaps, but we can say that KMT will not retire without having won a Grand Prix event. Piper & Paul should be in good shape to repeat as SCI champions.

Satoko is favoured to win SCI's ladies event, and Katia Kurakova is a bit of a wildcard in a number of ways (I guess the TCC thinks they can get her back in-country now? And how effectively will she have been training?), but this should be an opportunity for at least one of the ladies to win a Grand Prix medal; which would be the first such for someone other than Kaetlyn Osmond since 2010.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In decidedly less pleasant news to talk about than Grand Prix assignments, longtime pair coach Richard Gauthier has been charged with sex offences dating back to the early 1980s.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
In decidedly less pleasant news to talk about than Grand Prix assignments, longtime pair coach Richard Gauthier has been charged with sex offences dating back to the early 1980s.

Oh no! Indeed, decidedly less pleasant.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sigh... this doesn't start my day well.... didn't I preach about not coming to figure skating forums before my second dose of caffeine?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Oh wow. I'm kind of glad Duhamel/Radford dropped him towards the end of their career (though not sure if they were aware).

rain

Record Breaker
I'm surprised not to see Stellato/Deschamps on the Skate Canada roster.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Speaking of NextGen team, just checked Skate Canada site, I see Iliya Kovler And Alec Ginzburg have same coaching changes just like Gabby. They all went from Berezintsev to Barkell.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aurora is back in Edmonton now for training. We hadn't really heard anything from her for a while, so that's good to see. She's had two seasons plagued with injuries, so hopefully the time off will have benefited her on that score.

She's also on the registration list for Alberta sectionals, though unless she's been doing on-ice training in Ontario I can't imagine she'd actually be able to skate there since that's only a few weeks away.

Kaiya is also registered to skate senior domestically at the same event, incidentally.

rain

Record Breaker
Aurora is back in Edmonton now for training. We hadn't really heard anything from her for a while, so that's good to see. She's had two seasons plagued with injuries, so hopefully the time off will have benefited her on that score.

She's also on the registration list for Alberta sectionals, though unless she's been doing on-ice training in Ontario I can't imagine she'd actually be able to skate there since that's only a few weeks away.
I'm so pleased to hear Aurora is back on the ice. I thought she had so much potential, but honestly I wouldn't blame anyone for calling it quits after two years of injury. Here's to hoping she's fully healed.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Out of curiosity, why is the Skate Canada Grand Prix not more full?

At Skate America, and at other GP's if I'm remembering correctly, the fields have been completed with home-country skaters (if there aren't enough top flight seniors), even those with pretty slim resumes.

Surely, there are other Canadian skaters... rising juniors to seniors perhaps... that could fill in the blanks and gain some valuable international competitive experience and benefit from senior judge feedback?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Out of curiosity, why is the Skate Canada Grand Prix not more full?

At Skate America, and at other GP's if I'm remembering correctly, the fields have been completed with home-country skaters (if there aren't enough top flight seniors), even those with pretty slim resumes.

Surely, there are other Canadian skaters... rising juniors to seniors perhaps... that could fill in the blanks and gain some valuable international competitive experience and benefit from senior judge feedback?
In pairs there’s only one team that could theoretically have gone (Wang/Boudreau-Audet), and we haven’t heard anything on their status. There’s some other senior pairs who are either too new or pending release from other feds.

In the singles disciplines, they could have found a few more people on the margins if they’d really been pushed, maybe — other than to note there are three notable senior ladies (Cotop, Daleman, Mallet) not present. But Daleman seems to be focusing on her pageant this fall, and Cotop very clearly wouldn’t be ready; I don’t know about Mallet, who is training.

Though one should also note that in the ladies without Kurakova they’ve now got a single neat flight of six, so maybe they were anticipating that.