2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Ziotic

Medalist
ermmm nam's post are more about skating outside than showing off... i just went to his instagram and it's all about skating on lake Ontario, flying above the CN tower, spinning with Toronto's as a background at night... there is a 3a EU 3s combo in the "stories" ... but that's it... I mean there is also a bowl of burned broccoli... so make your own guess about what that means... LOL

I have no idea how one can make any kind of conclusion about this. It really implies nothing else than someone having fun skating outdoors... like Keegan was doing earlier on in the year... the good news : the nightmare will end soon... We should get the news sooner than later.
It wasn’t just outdoors. He is also in the rink throwing out 3A in combos.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah.. i had posted about the euler 3a combo as well.. but in any case... it's settled now.. and it's keegan :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
men : i think they went with maturity and experience. Keegan is also the man with the safest international PCS scoring.

pairs dance.. ok we knew

ladies... Emily? well... she better be in much much much better shape than she was at challenge because she won't make the LP. And i don't want to sound like I dislike her but in the top ladies in Canada, she has the weakest skating skills.. so i find this odd

Ziotic

Medalist
men : i think they went with maturity and experience. Keegan is also the man with the safest international PCS scoring.

pairs dance.. ok we knew

ladies... Emily? well... she better be in much much much better shape than she was at challenge because she won't make the LP. And i don't want to sound like I dislike her but in the top ladies in Canada, she has the weakest skating skills.. so i find this odd

She seems in much better shape.

abbykitty

Rinkside
That was a decent SP from Emily, and I can see now why they chose her for the 2nd spot. Alison and Gabby must've bombed their monitoring or didn't show any triple triples. On paper, Emily has all her triples including 3F-3T, 3Z-2T-2T, 2A-3T and 3S-3T....I just hope she can actually bring it to competition.

Realistically though, with how competitive ladies FS is right now around the world, we'll most likely be down to 1 spot next year no matter who they send, so I'm fine with them sending Madeline and Emily for experience instead of putting pressure on Gabby miraculously being in 2017-2018 form in less than a month.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

She seems in much better shape.
yes... this is SO MUCH better than challenge... jumps and spins have improved a lot. Skating skills, still some work to do.. but yeah.. i am demanding ... i am a Patrick fan... so i compare everyone to him, and he will probably never be matched again

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
btw.. i'd love to see her LP for monitoring.. because this is where she had troubles at CHallenge.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm kind of surprised Emily got the slot. But then again we don't know what state they're all in (or if anyone declined). She probably has had the least training disruption since she's based in BC, so that may have helped her case.

There was no wrong choice out of the top 3 men, so I'm happy for Keegan, hope he does well.
Pairs and dance was straightforward, glad they're all healthy and good to go.
I totally agree. Emily has had a lot of problems this year; this says a lot about Daleman, Schumacher and all. I wish Gabby had gotten it together. I am sure or hope she tried her best. But if she couldn't make the team that can't be very encouraging. Interesting and life isn't fair. EMily gets to go and her counterpart in men (Nam or Roman)skated far better and consistently don't get to go. Luck of the draw and says how weak the ladies are right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I totally agree. Emily has had a lot of problems this year; this says a lot about Daleman, Schumacher and all. I wish Gabby had gotten it together. I am sure or hope she tried her best. But if she couldn't make the team that can't be very encouraging. Interesting and life isn't fair. EMily gets to go and her counterpart in men (Nam or Roman)skated far better and consistently don't get to go. Luck of the draw and says how weak the ladies are right now.
i actually it says more how strong the ladies were a couple years ago compared to now... but are they particularly weak right now? I don't think so... Madeline skated very well at Challenge. Emily's SP here has solid jumps including a triple-triple... I tend to look at Canadian skating for what it is and not compare it to Russian ladies or Japanese ladies... it's another league but that doesn't mean that our girls suck. They are improving fast and there is much more depth than before... without depth, Alaine would and Gabby would still be skating at worlds :)

Also, men have always been stronger... it's an odd thing in Canada isn't it? and odder is that Nam and Keegan both had rough LPs and lost the second spot a couple years ago... and odder thing, worlds didn't happen last year so they couldn't regain it... etc etc...

why always so negative???? cheer up buttercup

rain

Record Breaker
Maybe they are sending Emily as she was/is national champ and it kinda doesn’t really matter as the chances of keeping by two spots are slim.
Happy for Keegan, I think he’s the least likely to have a potential meltdown so the best shot at getting two spots back.

I'm a bit surprised by the choice of Emily. She was an utter disaster at Challenge. And she's a skater who has to have the jumps, because her PCS really isn't there at this point. Oh well, I think anyone they chose for that second spot is a bit of a hail mary anyway.

So for the mens, the more I think about it, the less I agree with the choice. I really think they should have picked Roman, barring injury. I like Keegan, I do, but he's no more consistent at putting out clean programs, and his PCS potential is lower. And I just can't forget that it is Keegan and Nam's performances at the last worlds that put Canada in the position of only having one men's spot to start with. Roman has just looked really good, barring one dud at Four Continents, and I would have gone with him.

That said, I hope Keegan kicks butt and earns two spots back. Canada really needs it!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm a bit surprised by the choice of Emily. She was an utter disaster at Challenge. And she's a skater who has to have the jumps, because her PCS really isn't there at this point. Oh well, I think anyone they chose for that second spot is a bit of a hail mary anyway.

So for the mens, the more I think about it, the less I agree with the choice. I really think they should have picked Roman, barring injury. I like Keegan, I do, but he's no more consistent at putting out clean programs, and his PCS potential is lower. And I just can't forget that it is Keegan and Nam's performances at the last worlds that put Canada in the position of only having one men's spot to start with. Roman has just looked really good, barring one dud at Four Continents, and I would have gone with him.

That said, I hope Keegan kicks butt and earns two spots back. Canada really needs it!
All three Nam, Roman and Keegan have huge potential but Roman is the least experienced and has had the least international success. so hard wo to pick. It's a gamble. Keegan, Emily and Madi all shold be especially grateful.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Madeline and Keegan! You can make Top 10 Keegan :pray:
Also I do hope that the ice dancers can maintain 3 spots for the olympics (although I wish there was a better way of getting Olympic spots given the circumstances).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So for the mens, the more I think about it, the less I agree with the choice. I really think they should have picked Roman, barring injury. I like Keegan, I do, but he's no more consistent at putting out clean programs, and his PCS potential is lower.
I don’t think that’s true. Keegan is absolutely more consistent in the short program; Roman has literally never done a fully clean short program with a quad. He’s had more good free skates than Roman as well, though not last season.

As far as comparing PCS, based on their track records I’m not sure I see that. If we’re comparing their events this season, Keegan beat Roman’s free skate element score by ten points, and was only four points behind in PCS despite Roman’s score being from domestic judges. In terms of prior international scores, Keegan’s highest PCS mark is several points higher than Roman’s.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think, potentially, Roman could become a factor in international male skating. However, I agree that his melt down at 4CC probably didn't help him in getting this assignment. Keegan vs Nam... that's also a coin toss... but I feel that Keegan's spins and PCS will always score better than Nam's.... though Nam tends to be more consistent on his jumps.... Under the circumstances, with only one man, the choice was wisely made. Send the more mature guy... one who hasn't had issues with training and has competed internationally. I feel sad for the other two because they have shown a lot of promise at challenge...but those are the rules... and it's up to Keegan to regain the 2 spots and I think he can. GO GO GO

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Looks like Emily's SP is deleted already. Anyone have another link? Or anyone else's monitoring sessions?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Looks like Emily's SP is deleted already. Anyone have another link? Or anyone else's monitoring sessions?
I really wish they'd bring back the off topic meme but, I have a question for Canadians. West Edmonton Mall or Wonderland. Which is better???
:bed:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oops... i wonder if skaters were actually not supposed to post anything publicly ... bad bad girl ;)