2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
even if that were to be true, momentum in Ice dance is everything. Right now, two teams have momentum. The Russians by finishing 1st in both segments and Piper and Paul arriving placed 7th at previous worlds, moving up to 4th in the RD and then 2nd in the FD, almost edging Maddie and Zack for the silver... I think teams who need to worry the most are both American teams, Stepanova-Bukin and the Italians.
I would bet France, Russia and USA will be on the podium at the olympics. Canada will get screwed. They might deserve medal but they will keep the US and russia on the podium. I think GP will have a similar fate as Weapo. And then with some retirements will be back on the podium come worlds after the olympics.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would bet France, Russia and USA will be on the podium at the olympics. Canada will get screwed. They might deserve medal but they will keep the US and russia on the podium. I think GP will have a similar fate as Weapo. And then with some retirements will be back on the podium come worlds after the olympics.
fair enough, however, if we look at your predictions for these past worlds, you were putting pretty much G and P in 5th place, at best in 4th place and you were worried about Canada keeping its 3 spots... so I will not worry too much about your crystal ball ;) seems like it's not working out to be very accurate :laugh2:

Knebli

Rinkside
Hopefully Gabby will do well, should be a lot less pressure at WTT. Although I do wish she went to worlds, I think she was the only skater that could have been paired with Maddie for the chance at getting 2 spots. She’s also one of the reasons why they had 2 spots to begin with. Oh well. I guess they felt that there was no chance at 2 spots.

As for Roman, I really hope he has a good skate here. He really needs a good international score for his world standings after his 4CC results. It would also give him some momentum for next season. With Keegan’s great skate at Worlds, I can’t really see him being left off the Olympic team unless something goes really wrong, so I think Nam and Roman really need to show off for that last spot. I’m just glad I’m not the one who has to make the decision.
Agreed. Roman needs to prove himself internationally for sure. So unfortunate Covid came in and impacted his opportunities to shine. Yes, his last skate at 4CC was not good. If we can leave this one as an anomaly as we have for many others (male and female) who have faltered more than once, the momentum can be greater. Positive energy works. Just hope WTT actually happens. Covid variants are a concern. Cross the fingers.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, his last skate at 4CC was not good. If we can leave this one as an anomaly as we have for many others (male and female) who have faltered more than once, the momentum can be greater.
The thing with Roman is that, while 4CC was a particularly bad showing for him, in significant ways it is not an anomaly at all, especially in the short program.

Roman really needs a clean short program at WTT to start dispelling the fed’s reservations about him.

Knebli

Rinkside
The thing with Roman is that, while 4CC was a particularly bad showing for him, in significant ways it is not an anomaly at all, especially in the short program.

Roman really needs a clean short program at WTT to start dispelling the fed’s reservations about him.
All I am saying, some skaters have to prove themselves more than others. Others are given breaks/benefit of the doubt. Its hard to swallow for athlete's when they experience this. We hope that Roman rises to the occasion in WTT. :) and Hope the event actually happens.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Oh wow, someone actually put Canada on the podium in the WTT prediction thread. As much as I would love that, I don’t think it’s possible. :’(

Last edited:

Ziotic

Medalist
Oh wow, someone actually put Canada on the podium in the WTT prediction thread. As much as 8 would love that, I don’t think it’s possible. :’(
Honestly I think they will be lucky to not come last, but I think France has that on lock 😐

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Canada seems to be fighting with Italy for 4th (they're almost tied in my predictions). Russia/Japan/USA are the top 3 by a huge margin, and France has the weakest team on paper (gap isn't that large though, so they could move up with help).
Looks like the men are going to be the biggest determinant of placements, I feel like some of these men could place anywhere from 3rd to 12th (assuming Nathan/Yuzu top 2)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
technically, predicting Canada as 3rd is closer IMHO than some of those who put it in 6th place. Not sending our top pairs and dance team will hurt but at the same time, it is how well or poorly Canada does in singles compared to Italy and France that will make the biggest difference. Anything can happen in that department :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Madeline's first blog as Skate Ontario's skater-in-residence for this month, discussing her experience at Worlds:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh wow, someone actually put Canada on the podium in the WTT prediction thread. As much as I would love that, I don’t think it’s possible. :’(
Sadly not very realistic. Canada cnnot send its best skters due to their Covid policies. In particulr they re huring in pairs and dance. Sadly the ladies is a crap shoot and the men will not be hurt too much as both Roman and the forgotten Nam could do as well as Keegan. They may be friends but they are fighting for body of work p oints. If Nam can be Roman it will be key since Nam won the world spot last year but didn't get to go. Roman has such potential but if Nam can do what he can do including two types of quads and continue improving ss who knows.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry but no, I think Canada can make at least 3rd. Especially with the Italian teams mens skater loss, they aren't as strong.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry but no, I think Canada can make at least 3rd. Especially with the Italian teams mens skater loss, they aren't as strong.
Russia-US-Japan are too strong in the singles disciplines, which the WTT format is stacked in favour of, for Canada to have a plausible shot here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's why i prefer the olympics team event.... because each discipline is even. However, the real issue in this case will not be the singles. We will lose points there, but that's expected. The real issue is that sending our 4th ice dance team and our 3rd pairs team (national ranking speaking here) will not allow Canada to gain points that much over Japan and even Italy. The advantage of Canada over other teams resides in being a well-rounded, even team... but not this time... Our pairs are very good but very fresh on the international scene. Our dance team hasn't competed all year and is not at a level where they can compete with USA and Italy. If Canada had been able to send MTM and Piper and Paul, it may have been a different story... in this scenario, I am hoping for a 4th place.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The start orders are up for WTT. Most of this event is overnight for me so I won’t be able to watch love, but I should be able to watch the first group of men tomorrow before I have to get ready for work. So I can see Roman and Nam’s short programs, as the race for Nebelhorn begins.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Madeline's first blog as Skate Ontario's skater-in-residence for this month, discussing her experience at Worlds:

Gosh, she’s so thoughtful and articulate at such a young age! I really enjoyed her at Worlds and I’m looking forward to seeing her progress in the next few seasons.