2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 284 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklestan

On the Ice
Yayyy Competition Season has started again!! :)

I think Anna Frolova was underscored, I would have had her a few points above Maya. Anna Shcherbakova’s score was way to high, but this was her competition to win anyways.
In the first group I enjoyed Arina I the most, she was the one with the French music. She seems to have nice posture and musicality (plus she can do the jumps well), I’d love to see her get a wild card spot at RusNats.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Yayyy Competition Season has started again!! :)

I think Anna Frolova was underscored, I would have had her a few points above Maya. Anna Shcherbakova’s score was way to high, but this was her competition to win anyways.
In the first group I enjoyed Arina I the most, she was the one with the French music. She seems to have nice posture and musicality (plus she can do the jumps well), I’d love to see her get a wild card spot at RusNats.
Frolova got an ! on the Lutz and had her combination spin downgraded so she lost 3 points in that. Otherwise she would have been above Khromykh.

I thought it was amazing to see the unknown ladies from the first group. Although they were clearly a bit behind the top girls, they had amazing talent. I never heard of any of them before. But in Russia these girls just keep coming. I remember last season when Tsibinova and Shulskaya shocked us all at the Russian Cup. I wonder if we will see any surprises this year?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I believe it means "no camel". Since it was her combo spin, she didn't complete the required 3 revolutions in a camel position which downgrades the spin.
OK. Thank you!

It always been a bit fuzzy to me how these levels work in spins. Sometimes it 8 revolutions, 4 revolutions and sometimes less.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I have been a bit worried about the Rukavicin girls. We have had NO news on them whole summer.

So, it was nice to see Talalaykina today - and she seemed to be in reasonably good form! Hopefully that means that also Nugumanova and Gubanova are fit for fight, and I hope to see them soon, guns blazin', in later stages.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Anna's skating skill got worse. Very disappointed about the program and especially the step sequence. The position of crossover was just 😞

I actually think she has improved. Her lazy foot has definitely improved on her landings and in her spins. It's weird how it took so long for "Anna Ballerina" to actually learn how to turn out her foot.... It's still not all there, especially on the spins and her spiral, but turn out is, well, the FIRST THING to a dancer. I think it has helped her presentation, and her spins have improved (they really have been weak, except the layback)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I actually think she has improved. Her lazy foot has definitely improved on her landings and in her spins. It's weird how it took so long for "Anna Ballerina" to actually learn how to turn out her foot.... It's still not all there, especially on the spins and her spiral, but turn out is, well, the FIRST THING to a dancer. I think it has helped her presentation, and her spins have improved (they really have been weak, except the layback)
You're right. Her lazy foot is definitely better. It seems a bit strange to me though that some skaters seem to have more difficulties with this than others. I remember Brian Orser (or was it another coach?) once said, when he was coaching Yuna Kim, that she was a lovely skater but he failed to teach her how to point her toes. She just couldn't do it.

macy

Record Breaker
i actually really like the direction TT took with Maia's short. its very different than what she has skated to before and i think she does well with it. you can see she enjoys skating to it and her arm movements are so lovely. it could really be great by the 2nd half of the season.

readernick

Medalist
I think you and the OP are talking about different things. The OP is referring to SS which has never been Anna's strong point, and I agree they look even weaker this year.. which is natural when dealing with growth.

In terms of lines and extension (what I believe you are discussing), she does look stronger this year and the choreo is a bit less cluttered so she can hold her positions longer.

Improvement in some areas, regression in others. Normal for all skaters as they grow and adjust.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
So I have been doing some counting, and it is worrying.

We know that there are 10 more prominent skaters waiting in the wings who will compete at later stages.
Trusova, Konstantinova, Medvedeva, Valieva, Tuktamysheva, Gulyakova, Samodurova, Kostornaia, Sinitsyna, Usacheva.

Then we have another 9 (not so prominent) skaters who did well last year that did qualify/or nearly qualify for RusNats.
Tsibinova, Sakhanovich, Nugumanova, Gracheva, Kolomiets, Tarakanova, Gubanova, Sidorova, Shulskaya

That is a total of 19 skaters, and all of them will compete twice so they will take up 38 spots for the remaining 4 stages.

In addition to that we have at least the top four from stage one who will compete again. So a total of 42 spots.

That means that we will have an average of at least 10 really good skaters in the four stages that are left. And we know that you need to finish around 5th in both your stages to qualify for RusNats.

Maybe not all the "not so prominent" skaters will compete, but there will surely also be a few newcomers that might surprise.

Looks to me like the remaining stages of the Russian Cup for women will be brutal... and probably a lot of well known skaters will not qualify for RusNats...

Last edited:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
So I have been doing some counting, and it is worrying.

We know that there are 10 more prominent skaters waiting in the wings who will compete at later stages.
Trusova, Konstantinova, Medvedeva, Valieva, Tuktamysheva, Gulyakova, Samodurova, Kostornaia, Sinitsyna, Usacheva.

Then we have another 9 (not so prominent) skaters who did well last year that did qualify/or nearly qualify for RusNats.
Tsibinova, Sakhanovich, Nugumanova, Gracheva, Kolomiets, Tarakanova, Gubanova, Sidorova, Shulskaya

That is a total of 19 skaters, and all of them will compete twice so they will take up 38 spots for the remaining 4 stages.

In addition to that we have at least the top four from stage one who will compete again. So a total of 42 spots.

That means that we will have an average of at least 10 really good skaters in the four stages that are left. And we know that you need to finish around 5th in both your stages to qualify for RusNats.

Maybe not all the "not so prominent" skaters will compete, but there will surely also be a few newcomers that might surprise.

Looks to me like the remaining stages of the Russian Cup for women will be brutal... and probably a lot of well known skaters will not qualify for RusNats...

The Cup qualification rules were poorly thought out. Maybe officials expected more skaters to be prepared enough to fill out all of the stages, but in ladies and especially the other disciplines, this may not pan out. I think there should've been a bye system all along, and if they have to issue one to get some skaters into RusNats that should obviously compete there despite missing the Cup stages, it'll look messy and strange. But for some, it might have to be done.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The Cup qualification rules were poorly thought out. Maybe officials expected more skaters to be prepared enough to fill out all of the stages, but in ladies and especially the other disciplines, this may not pan out. I think there should've been a bye system all along, and if they have to issue one to get some skaters into RusNats that should obviously compete there despite missing the Cup stages, it'll look messy and strange. But for some, it might have to be done.
We will see how it all will pan out.

Hopefully, things will work out. I hope we won't see some unfair judging (in PCS) to save some skaters or to sacrifice others.

But for sure, there are some very prominent skaters that might be in the risky zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.