2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 295 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I did not follow figure skating for like half a year and I am surprised to see a lot of discussions about some person "Fran" in "RUSSIAN LADIES" thread. Who is she/he? An add-on to "a team" of TSL, Rodina, and Koola King? Don't we have enough of non-Russian critics of Russian skaters already?
She's a new skating vlogger who also tweets analysis and translations. More like a gossip/tea channel.

I think she doesn't know much about skating, but stuff like hers is what's popular among the fans now.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I both agree with you and not. I do see similarities between Anna's and Zhenya before Orser styles. I think that Anna still has to work a little bit on interpretation in order to achieve the same level as Zhenya had back then. So far her programs have little replay value for me unlike Medvedeva's best programs.

I think that Anna has a very good potential score wise. If she lands 2 quad lutzes and a quad flip her only competition is Sasha with 5 quads. No matter how good a skater Alena is, 2 3As is just not enough vs. 3 most valuable quads.
Believe it or not but a 3A is probably worth just as much as 3 difficult quads. In the SP and the free program you can jump 3x3A instead if having double axels. When we account for GOE difference between 2A and 3A compared to 3F and 4F the gap is actually very close, considering Alena has more GOE on jumps (of course assuming she gets her jumps back consistently)

One big thing that can hold Alena back is not having a +3Lo combo in sp. It's a tiny thing, but thats what the difference could end up being.

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
I did not follow figure skating for like half a year and I am surprised to see a lot of discussions about some person "Fran" in "RUSSIAN LADIES" thread. Who is she/he? An add-on to "a team" of TSL, Rodina, and Koola King? Don't we have enough of non-Russian critics of Russian skaters already?
Interesting, so this thread is exclusive to Russian only? People who are not "pro-Eteri" Russian are not entitled to express their opinions on Russian figure skating?

macy

Record Breaker
She's a new skating vlogger who also tweets analysis and translations. More like a gossip/tea channel.

I think she doesn't know much about skating, but stuff like hers is what's popular among the fans now.
that sadly seems to be a primary trend for "expertise" these days...why can't people just turn to those who actually know what theyre talking about?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
that sadly seems to be a primary trend for "expertise" these days...why can't people just turn to those who actually know what theyre talking about?
Because dunning-kruger is strong in this sport.
With human nature, people assume they are correct until they are proven incorrect. The problem is, in figure skating many people have different facts. When everybody has their own "facts" that contradict each other than it is impossible to have proper debate, and people willalways believe their "facts" over other facts, even if other facts are actually real and their "facts" are incorrect.

YouTubers will always present their "facts" even if they are incorrect, and a less qualified audience will believe these and then spread them.

This isn't just about figure skating, this is also about what happens in life in general.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wonder that too... I think some fans contribute to this being a reality TV show more than a sport. Like I get it, there's some bad things in the sport that deserve to be called out, I hate reputation judging and there have been some Asian skaters who have correctly spoken up about how hard it can be for them, but when you start painting *everything* with the same brush, you need to step back and take a look. Some of it does come from badly written handbooks though. Like that "forward takeoff on toe loops" rule is clearly meant for toe axels, but no one believes it when they are told so. Or like the discussion I had on this thread about "unclear edges".

people assume they are correct until they are proven incorrect.

Well, not even then, haha.

Last edited:

ruga

Final Flight
Plushenko gave an interview promising more sensational transfers to him. At this point I’m expecting my wife to switch to Plushenko.
Ok but we are literally running out of options now. There are only 3-4 possible transitions in Russia that could become sensational.

I remeber after Aliona switched he gave an interview where he said that "there will be more sensations". Now everyone jokes that he predicted Medvedeva's return as it was the only sensation after that interview.

macy

Record Breaker
I wonder that too... I think some fans contribute to this being a reality TV show more than a sport. Like I get it, there's some bad things in the sport that deserve to be called out, I hate reputation judging and there have been since Asian skaters who have correctly spoken up about how hard it can be for them, but when you start painting *everything* with the same brush, you need to step back and take a look. Some of it does come from badly written handbooks though. Like that "forward takeoff on toe loops" rule is clearly meant for toe axels, but no one believes it when they are told so. Or like the discussion I had on this thread about "unclear edges".
absolutely, and you have people like Dave from TSL who literally make it one. people feed off that stuff, they love drama.

also agree about the handbook. there is a lot of room to be more precise, but the problem is even when people who know nothing of the sport and have never stepped a foot on the ice are explained what these rules actually mean by actual skaters themselves, they don't believe them. why? because there are "experts" out there like whoever Fran is and these youtube channels again run by fans and people outside of the sport that cry full blade takeoff and prerotation, and people twist that into what they think is right. why would the everyday skating fan listen to anyone who has been in the sport for most of their lives, when they have "experts"? outrageous! :)

anyway, that's a topic for another thread. i'm just sad people trust these sources, it's pretty insulting to the rest of us trying to educate people.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Ok but we are literally running out of options now. There are only 3-4 possible transitions in Russia that could become sensational.

I remeber after Aliona switched he gave an interview where he said that "there will be more sensations". Now everyone jokes that he predicted Medvedeva's return as it was the only sensation after that interview.

Plushenko, Rudkovskaya and Rozanov subscribed to Kihira's Instagram page

Skatesocs

Final Flight

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Jesus Christ 🤣🤣🤣

readernick

Medalist

No please. Rika and Alena are my two favorites, but I don't want them to be training with the same coach. I don't have negative feeling toward Plushenko, but Brian Orser (or even Lambiel who she has been training with since she can't get into Canada) seem like better fits for Rika.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Akatieva just impresses me more and more every time I watch her! Her performance has improved so much and it seems like her jumps just keep getting more solid. Not to mention she has maybe the most gorgeous posture I've ever seen. :love: She'll easily be one of the frontrunners for the junior national title, IMO.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
No please. Rika and Alena are my two favorites, but I don't want them to be training with the same coach. I don't have negative feeling toward Plushenko, but Brian Orser (or even Lambiel who she has been training with since she can't get into Canada) seem like better fits for Rika.

Maybe this is speculation. We can't know surely. Don't be sad.:giggle:

I said Plushenko is incredible popular and respected person in Japan. In 2014 in Sochi he received an offer from the Japaneses ( and from China, too ;) ) to found a skating school. Plushenko invests his money and the Japaneses , too and they make it together. Plushenko rejected it.

edit: I don't think Lambiel is better for her. Brian yes, maybe, but not Lambiel

readernick

Medalist
Maybe this is speculation. We can't know surely. Don't be sad.:giggle:

I said Plushenko is incredible popular and respected person in Japan. In 2014 in Sochi he received an offer from the Japaneses ( and from China, too ;) ) to found a skating school. Plushenko invests his money and the Japaneses , too and they make it together. Plushenko rejected it.

edit: I don't think Lambiel is better for her. Brian yes, maybe, but not Lambiel
I am sure Plushenko is well respected in Japan. Japan loves figure skating and loves its stars worldwide. I just don't think Plushenko's school would suit Rika. As mentioned, I have no negative feelings toqard Plushenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.