2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 450 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Aliona still does not have her triple axle back because of covid-19 and not being able to train.
Viewers with sharper eyes than me spotted something interesting in the back of a Plushenko interview: The entrance to Aliona's 3A. The video cuts off exactly as she's about to jump. Interesting timing... Though this topic has been discussed in her Fan Fest, so I won't rehash it too much here.

What I am interested more in, is that you bring up a great point. Yes the extended offseason hurt technical content. But it's also just causing injuries in general.

The American football season this year has seemed to have, from my casual viewing (which is whenever I'm out and a game is on) far more injuries than I recall in the past. Combined with the all the Russian figure skating injuries, I was prompted to do a little research.

I think we forget that a lot that goes into being an elite athlete is not just training for increased performance, but for increased resistance to injury. The preparation that it takes an athlete to compete without getting hurt is certainly more difficult than competing because you can achieve the elements.

Jumping straight back into the sport as if you've never stopped is not enough to recondition the body to compete. There was a study done a while ago on how training (American) football players to move their heads a certain way when tackled reduced neck and head injuries. But you can't practice that individually. It requires contact. It requires actually playing football.

Apparently, as seasons for professional sports were being phased in around Europe, researchers stated they expected to see higher injury incidence because of the prolonged cessation of normal training, even in spite of individual training. They also warned that suddenly resuming training where you left off can exaggerate injuries. *OF COURSE* Zhenya's back injury is flaring up now. Not only did she not have her normal time on the ice to really get back into training, but it sounds like she immediately started working on components she hadn't attempted in years. Perhaps she assumed (incorrectly) that the extended time off would have given her back more time to heal? We don't know.

But indeed it is very irresponsible for the RusFed to expect two competitions from their athletes in such a short time period directly after a long time period off. In fact, it is self sabotage.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Kogan hopes the Grand Prix competition in Russia will take place

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
What happened to Sinitsina?
You make a pertinent point about how these phenomenal athletes were rushed back into top shape many of them not ready for it.
She skated with an injured knee and aggravated her injury to the point where she had to stop skating mid program because of pain being insufferable. They then rushed her scans to that german hospital, and are treating her now. They really didn’t have to do this to their top ice dance couple, don’t know what Rusfed was thinking.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Plugging from Figurist Store:

Short interview with Sergey Dudakov about boots (Edea vs Risport) and blades (Matrix vs Gold Seal), Daniil Gleikhengauz' will follow.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Trusova's got a nice free leg on her axel too. You can really see her step up in the slow-mo of her 3A attempt at the last cup. I think her problem might be the opposite, not snapping in fast enough at the start. But it's nice because it makes the jump big and when she does land it (e.g. in practice) it gives it that 'wow' factor like Kostornaia's 3A (although Kostornaia has the transitions and speed going in). Maybe Trusova's axel technique base is from Volkov, because I noticed Artem Kovalev has a nice big 3A.
Kamila's looks a bit like Alysa Liu's 3A, not much right leg involvement.
Oddly, I saw Rika live once and didn't find her 3A particularly big. She's got a fairly normal-looking axel takeoff though.
Tuktamysheva's axel is a different beast altogether. I have no idea how she makes it work while barely using her arms.
Tuk has a lot of leg power. Arms do help, but as long as they connect to the body it almost doesn't matter (especially the left arm is quite useless, the right is more useful).

Tuk does snap her arms in quick, but the jumping power is all from her legs.

macy

Record Breaker
Personally, I think it was a good decision because I doubt worlds will even happen, as you said. But I honestly think there's a possibility that the 2022 olympics won't even happen. So there's no point to hustle to qualify to Rnats to qualify for worlds that won't happen to gain spots for the olympics that may not even happen
the 2020 olympics will 100% for sure be held next year, so i don't see a reason why 2022 would be cancelled or postponed.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
IOC with so many billions of $$$$ ate stake, and perhaps there will be a compulsory vaccination requirement?

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Viewers with sharper eyes than me spotted something interesting in the back of a Plushenko interview: The entrance to Aliona's 3A. The video cuts off exactly as she's about to jump. Interesting timing... Though this topic has been discussed in her Fan Fest, so I won't rehash it too much here.

What I am interested more in, is that you bring up a great point. Yes the extended offseason hurt technical content. But it's also just causing injuries in general.

The American football season this year has seemed to have, from my casual viewing (which is whenever I'm out and a game is on) far more injuries than I recall in the past. Combined with the all the Russian figure skating injuries, I was prompted to do a little research.

I think we forget that a lot that goes into being an elite athlete is not just training for increased performance, but for increased resistance to injury. The preparation that it takes an athlete to compete without getting hurt is certainly more difficult than competing because you can achieve the elements.

Jumping straight back into the sport as if you've never stopped is not enough to recondition the body to compete. There was a study done a while ago on how training (American) football players to move their heads a certain way when tackled reduced neck and head injuries. But you can't practice that individually. It requires contact. It requires actually playing football.

Apparently, as seasons for professional sports were being phased in around Europe, researchers stated they expected to see higher injury incidence because of the prolonged cessation of normal training, even in spite of individual training. They also warned that suddenly resuming training where you left off can exaggerate injuries. *OF COURSE* Zhenya's back injury is flaring up now. Not only did she not have her normal time on the ice to really get back into training, but it sounds like she immediately started working on components she hadn't attempted in years. Perhaps she assumed (incorrectly) that the extended time off would have given her back more time to heal? We don't know.

But indeed it is very irresponsible for the RusFed to expect two competitions from their athletes in such a short time period directly after a long time period off. In fact, it is self sabotage.
Why does the video cut off as Aliona is jumping into her 3a?

You make crucial points about figure skaters getting injured and football players in America getting injured all over the place because they're just not physically ready to perform at the highest levels against competition.

Anna and Sasha seem like they're ready for whatever this unusual season brings. But they are the exceptions than the rule.

Self-sabotage is a very strong comment of yours. But I can't disagree.

There is reason to fear Coronavirus having a second wave around the world and what it will do to humanity and what these athletes are going through to battle through it is just remarkable. But the most puzzling thing is if 98% or higher of societies through most of the world are wearing masks when they're outside and using disinfecting wipes sanitizers and sprays non-stop in their cars and their homes and we still can't get rid of Coronavirus is one of the scariest thoughts I've ever had.

I hope to see some great figure skating competitions with the ladies this year but I will hold it against nobody if they pull out or play it safe and don't compete. Several Russian pair skaters have colvard as I understand. That can obviously transfer over to the other disciplines in Russian figure skating. But I hope not. Hope is not getting it done against Coronavirus.scary.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She skated with an injured knee and aggravated her injury to the point where she had to stop skating mid program because of pain being insufferable. They then rushed her scans to that german hospital, and are treating her now. They really didn’t have to do this to their top ice dance couple, don’t know what Rusfed was thinking.
Sorry to hear this. A lot of everything we hear in sports and in the world is confusing since Coronavirus has hit the world and devastated the world.

Any updates on Ksenia?

macy

Record Breaker
Why does the video cut off as Aliona is jumping into her 3a?

You make crucial points about figure skaters getting injured and football players in America getting injured all over the place because they're just not physically ready to perform at the highest levels against competition.

Anna and Sasha seem like they're ready for whatever this unusual season brings. But they are the exceptions than the rule.

Self-sabotage is a very strong comment of yours. But I can't disagree.

There is reason to fear Coronavirus having a second wave around the world and what it will do to humanity and what these athletes are going through to battle through it is just remarkable. But the most puzzling thing is if 98% or higher of societies through most of the world are wearing masks when they're outside and using disinfecting wipes sanitizers and sprays non-stop in their cars and their homes and we still can't get rid of Coronavirus is one of the scariest thoughts I've ever had.

I hope to see some great figure skating competitions with the ladies this year but I will hold it against nobody if they pull out or play it safe and don't compete. Several Russian pair skaters have colvard as I understand. That can obviously transfer over to the other disciplines in Russian figure skating. But I hope not. Hope is not getting it done against Coronavirus.scary.
i don't really think this number is accurate. there are many people who are being careful and making sure they wear their masks and wash their hands but there are just as many who do the exact opposite (at least here in the US). even if most people in a country are wearing masks, with the exponential rate of infection it may not be enough to counter it. IMO i would think every single person would have to follow guidelines and that's just not going to happen anywhere, ever.

to answer your question about Aliona, i'd assume because they don't want people speculating or talking more than they already are. it will stay under wraps until she brings it back in competition.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
the 2020 olympics will 100% for sure be held next year, so i don't see a reason why 2022 would be cancelled or postponed.

Well, reading what is written, it seems to me it has a lot to do with Japan itself wanting it to go forward? That's what it reads to me like, with the theme being "Reconstruction". I'd wait till the IOC makes an announcement about Beijing.

Status
Not open for further replies.