2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The two russian men competed pretty well today. They are definitely on the bubble for three spots. Had they not skated so early, I'm sure their scores would be higher, but it is what it is. Hopefully they can have a good FS on Saturday!

more than the starting order, to me pcs were heavily influenced by reputation and past results here.

It makes me wonder if Aliev was here, coming as the reigning European Champion, his PCS would have been higher than Semenenko and similar to Kolyada, and here components made a big difference. You could have had potentially 2 russian skaters in the top 10 (which is possible even now) or top 5.

But regardless, they both did great, i'm sure this will motivate Semenenko to skate even better in the free.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
more than the starting order, to me pcs were heavily influenced by reputation and past results here.

It makes me wonder if Aliev was here, coming as the reigning European Champion, his PCS would have been higher than Semenenko and similar to Kolyada, and here components made a big difference. You could have had potentially 2 russian skaters in the top 10 (which is possible even now) or top 5.

But regardless, they both did great, i'm sure this will motivate Semenenko to skate even better in the free.
Not so sure about Aliev getting as much PCS as Misha. And not even this season with the way he competed.

And reputation didn't benefit everyone, I dare say only Nathan actually got the benefit here, perhaps Moris too, but he skated in the last group. For me, the the judges kind of callibrated most scores after Misha based on his. I thought a lot more skaters could have gone over 93+, but they didn't.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Aliev's PCS for sure would have been higher than Semenenko's - his TES likely would have been lower though. There is a reputation factor to PCS, but so what? Give Semenenko the chance to prove himself here, and next year his PCS will rise accordingly. He was also understandably visibly nervous in the SP today, but that will pass when he gains "big" competition experience.
Overall, I think both Kolyada and Semenenko skated brilliantly and up to their current ability today! Keeping Russia's two spots looks totally doable now, and anything more would be a fantastic bonus achievement!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Semenenko’s shortcomings were more evident though when he skated next to the rest of the senior field, particulary right now when spins and PCS are valued >>>jumps. But I wish him to continue to cope with pressure the way he did today. For me, he comparatively performed better than Kolyada.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Semenenko’s shortcomings were more evident though when he skated next to the rest of the senior field, particulary right now when spins and PCS are valued >>>jumps. But I wish him to continue to cope with pressure the way he did today. For me, he comparatively performed better than Kolyada.

Yeah it wasn't just "the newbie type of score", i feel like the quality of skating right now is not on par with the others who have higher PCS. It's not just having the quads anymore, you need a stellar presentation also if you want to compete for the top.

But the good thing he is very consistent with his jumps, and spins he did improve a lot recently even though there is still a lot to work on. He obviously deserved to be there and a top 10 finish would be great for him, i think that's his goal.

readernick

Medalist
Yeah it wasn't just "the newbie type of score", i feel like the quality of skating right now is not on par with the others who have higher PCS. It's not just having the quads anymore, you need a stellar presentation also if you want to compete for the top.

But the good thing he is very consistent with his jumps, and spins he did improve a lot recently even though there is still a lot to work on. He obviously deserved to be there and a top 10 finish would be great for him, i think that's his goal.
The PCS was as it should have been. He just isn't at the same level as a lot of these artistic experienced men,yet. But, I don't think it was a mistake to send him because Aliev just hasn't been consistent enough to even guarantee qualifying for the free. Semenenko did his job!

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, top ten finish in the short was very, very respectable for him. But tomorrow, each of the elements will be scored lower than from his competitors, so he will bleed more points on GoE and his PCS will not magically improve overnight. But it’s an excellent experience for him, and he earned it in spades. So long as there is no crazy expectations air, worse, blame-game after!

i am hoping fervently that Aliev recover! He is really incredible. ❤️🌹

Scott512

Record Breaker

I hope they get three spots for the Olympics but not sending the reigning and defending European Champion is ridiculous. As you so astutely pointed out he would have been treated with more respect from the judges than semenenko is.

But good luck to the guys they have about a 50-50 chance to get three spots. Semenenko has alot of pressure on him with the free skate. I think he can move up a spot or two and Misha can hold 4th or hopefully move up to bronze.

Hopefully both of the Russians get treated with more respect for the free skate than they did the short program. We hear about the Eteri bonus all the time with the ladies she coaches. The professor is now 80 and a legendary coach where is the bounce for his skaters? The Russian men overall are getting better as a group for the first time in a long time. But they don't need to get squeezed by the judges.
Especially with so much at stake.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I hope they get three spots for the Olympics but not sending the reigning and defending European Champion is ridiculous. As you so astutely pointed out he would have been treated with more respect from the judges than semenenko is.

But good luck to the guys they have about a 50-50 chance to get three spots. Semenenko has alot of pressure on him with the free skate. I think he can move up a spot or two and Misha can hold 4th or hopefully move up to bronze.

Hopefully both of the Russians get treated with more respect for the free skate than they did the short program. We hear about the Eteri bonus all the time with the ladies she coaches. The professor is now 80 and a legendary coach where is the bounce for his skaters? The Russian men overall are getting better as a group for the first time in a long time. But they don't need to get squeezed by the judges.
Didn't Aliev himself agree that he wasn't good enough for 2021 worlds? Due to recovering from illness and injuries?

Good luck to Kolyada and Semenenko winning 3 spots for olympics 👍

Apple1078

Final Flight
I hope Misha can move up to bronze. I think there's a chance. He's not that far behind Nathan and Yuma. It's not outside the realm of possibility. I think Nathan could be anything between 1st (if he lands 5 quads and his 3A) and 4th. Yuma could be anything between 2nd and 4th.

There's room for Misha to slip into 3rd.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker

Aliev has struggled this whole season with illness and injury and has not gone clean in single skate this season in the cup final he got 3rd spot only cause literally everyone competing for that spot shit the bed but also because Russian judges saved him to a degree that international judges would not. He deals with pressure badly so he could have skated just like he did in the RCF and then Russia would not be in a good spot at all.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Didn't Aliev himself agree that he wasn't good enough for 2021 worlds? Due to recovering from illness and injuries?

Good luck to Kolyada and Semenenko winning 3 spots for olympics 👍
But nationals was 3 months ago.

Good luck to the guys I hope they are treated fairly.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Russia has three spots again! By the skin of their teeth, but that's the good way to go.

I think that was the main goal going in so good job Mishin.

Without that fall on the second 3a Kolyada could have beated Uno, but overall between the two segments they both did great, especially considering how Kolyada skated 2 years ago at Worlds, the improvements are very noticeable. Huge debut for Semenenko.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Semenenko did the deed! Obviously, with the help of many, many other skaters who didn’t have a great day. But, 3 spots! So, the athlete must compete worked, as brutal as it sounds. Now, the next year becomes brutal for them again.

Wow.

Last edited:

Kittosuni

Medalist
Great debut for Semenenko. I admit I was really skeptical of him going to worlds but he delivered.

He earned great reputation here and will definitely an advantage next season. He still can repeat 1 more quad and that will increase his BV.