2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
She does have to add another quad or her 3A. That's always been true, if both Anna and Kamila land their 2 quads as well. (Especially as Anna is also skating a "watered down" program.) That's always been true. Their advice didn't say that it wouldn't. They didn't say it would improve her standing either. It would however solidify her placement and prevent a meltdown like at other competitions.
But it solidifies her 3rd standing...

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
But it solidifies her 3rd standing...
If all were clean, unless Sasha adds a 3 quad or a 3A, that was always going to happen. It DOES however keep Sasha ahead of Liza, Alena (without her 3A), and Anastasia G, whom Sasha should NOT be losing to. And now that she's competed cleanly that will hopefully help her mental game. The next step is to heal that injury so she can up her tech content because I'm sure Anna, Kamila, and Alena (and Daria and Liza T) are planning to do that as a next step, once they get healthier and have more training time. (Anna can return to her 4Lz-3T, 4Lz, 4F layout, Kamila can add a 3A to her FS and land the 3A in the SP, Alena can get her 3A back and return to her 3A SP and 3A-2T, 3A program which even Anna needs to be clean to beat, Daria can continue working on her 3A, and Liza can improve her 3A landings and add a 4T.)

The point is she's proven she can be clean and her artistry is growing!! She was beautiful here. Now she needs to heal and up her tech content and continue to be clean with a higher tech.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
3Lo+2T vs 3Lo+2Lo is not that much of a difference.

And doing 3Lo+2Lo can mess up 3Lo+3Lo because rythm, timing and speed is completely different.
3Lo+2T looks bad and a skater like her needs to find every little point they can. If it really messes up her timing in training then okay, but 3Lo+2Lo is one of the best looking combos out there, so pure and satisfying in its naturally decrescendoing contrast, I love the rare instances of people doing it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If all were clean, unless Sasha adds a 3 quad or a 3A, that was always going to happen. It DOES however keep Sasha ahead of Liza, Alena (without her 3A), and Anastasia G, whom Sasha should NOT be losing to. And now that she's competed cleanly that will hopefully help her mental game. The next step is to heal that injury so she can up her tech content because I'm sure Anna, Kamila, and Alena (and Daria and Liza T) are planning to do that as a next step, once they get healthier and have more training time. (Anna can return to her 3Lz-3T, 3Lz, 3F layout, Kamila can add a 3A to her FS and land the 3A in the SP, Alena can get her 3A back and return to her 3A SP and 3A-2T, 3A program which even Anna needs to be clean to beat, Daria can continue working on her 3A, and Liza can improve her 3A landings and add a 4T.)

The point is she's proven she can be clean and her artistry is growing!! She was beautiful here. Now she needs to heal and up her tech content and continue to be clean with a higher tech.
I hope she can do it because stable 3A and three quads of at least 2 types is a tall order if they have to be stable. I can think of 6 skaters who can do that in seniors rn, but maybe I am forgetting someone

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I hope she can do it because stable 3A and three quads of at least 2 types is a tall order if they have to be stable. I can think of 6 skaters who can do that in seniors rn, but maybe I am forgetting someone
Me too. I think she can. She actually doesn't ned both another quad and a stable 3A yet. But she will if others up/regain their tech. But I think she can. I think with Sasha it's mostly a mental struggle.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
It is getting ridiculous at this point when Sasha is expected to deliver more than a male skater. How many consistent men with more than one type of quad and 3A are there? And it's not like other quad girls are consistent.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It is getting ridiculous at this point when Sasha is expected to deliver more than a male skater. How many consistent men with more than one type of quad and 3A are there? And it's not like other quad girls are consistent.
Well, she might have had silver in men’s in this competition, because where spins and SS are concerned Ignatov is not there yet and their tech content balances out...

Skatefan15

On the Ice
She left Eteri when she hit puberty (especially when her mind hit puberty) and after she had fun baking cookies with Jason Brown and laughing at practices. Now at 20 her sports career is becoming more important again, so back to Eteri. Brian was nothing but suspenses
I know this isn’t the the forum to discuss this but I really disagree with what you said. I think that after the Olympics, Evgenia was sort of broken in a way mentally and going to cricket ended up showing her what a naturally healthy and supportive environment looks like. I think she began to love skating again (and on a deeper level because she wasn’t winning anything anymore). She was laughing at practice because they were able to train her mind not to cry at every little mistake she made (which is a lot healthier imo). Also when Evgenia went back this year, both her and Brian made it super clear that it was due to covid, not because her “career was becoming important again”. When she switched to Brian, problems she’s had for years were now being called out. She never had a lutz, why were they calling it the wrong edge now? Also Brian and the whole coaching team helped her jump more with her legs than her upper body/back which was totally noticeable in her jumps, especially double axel (and they slightly fixed other technical issues as well —lutz aside).

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
No one ever said that. First of all, Anna is consistent. Second of all there are really only 3 quad girls (that aren't novices) - Sasha, Kamila, and Anna - in Russia. (Neither Liza T nor Maiia can really be called quad girls yet.) The issue isn't as much her tech content, it's her adding tech content without being consistent at it, which is something Anna and Alena don't struggle with as much, if really at all. Plus Anna and Alena have spins and PCS to gain points on when they do fall. Finally, no one ever said Sasha was expected to deliver more than one type of quad and a 3A, cleanly. That's just her path to victory.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Quick thoughts...

Anna: Very happy for her! I knew she was sick and she looked so exhausted after the SP that I was really worried she was going to tank the FS. Being the defending champ, coming off of an illness, following behind not one but two knocked-out-of-the-ballpark performances, the pressure was on but she soared. Eteri's reaction was very touching. I think it was pretty obvious who she wanted to see win. Anna fought hard and she deserved the win--I really do enjoy her skating more than the other two...there's a lightness and warmth she exudes that none of the other Russian girls have. I feel like most were looking at Kamila and Sasha and that Anna was a bit of an underdog despite being the defending champ. Very happy for her. Given the unbelievable competition in Russia, winning nationals 3 times in a row is an insane accomplishment!

Kamila: Lovely performance following behind Sasha's amazing display. I'm still not a huge fan of her overall skating but you can't deny how lovely she is on the ice. I'd love to see her bring more emotion and feeling to her skating. It's all still really cold and detached. Her elegance and line help to deflect from it but hopefully as she gets older she'll gain that depth in her performing. That will bring her to another level. Great to see her deliver her best and place 2nd.

Sasha: I couldn't tell she was injured. Both quad lutzes were amazing. She has such explosive power and strength in her jumps, it's incredible. Unfortunately, there still is a lot missing in the rest of her skating. She's trying but it's not there yet---not sure if it ever will be. It's not fair that she'll basically have to land 3-5 quads to beat Kamila or Anna but with her not having the best spins, skating skills, presentation, etc. there is a lot she's lagging behind on. When the other two have quads in addition to all of those other things it's easier to see why it's difficult for her to compete when everyone is clean. Very proud of her for skating cleanly in both programs though.

Congrats to Daria (great performances), feeling sorry for Liza, happy for Nugumanova. Naturally everyone was ridiculously over-scored (as is customary at domestic events) but the level of skating brought by the top 4 was excellent. Congrats to all of the medalists!

SXTN

Final Flight
I know this isn’t the the forum to discuss this but I really disagree with what you said. I think that after the Olympics, Evgenia was sort of broken in a way mentally and going to cricket ended up showing her what a naturally healthy and supportive environment looks like. I think she began to love skating again (and on a deeper level because she wasn’t winning anything anymore). She was laughing at practice because they were able to train her mind not to cry at every little mistake she made (which is a lot healthier imo). Also when Evgenia went back this year, both her and Brian made it super clear that it was due to covid, not because her “career was becoming important again”. When she switched to Brian, problems she’s had for years were now being called out. She never had a lutz, why were they calling it the wrong edge now? Also Brian and the whole coaching team helped her jump more with her legs than her upper body/back which was totally noticeable in her jumps, especially double axel (and they slightly fixed other technical issues as well —lutz aside).
You don't win with having a good time and fixing 2A's.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Quick thoughts...

Anna: Very happy for her! I knew she was sick and she looked so exhausted after the SP that I was really worried she was going to tank the FS. Being the defending champ, coming off of an illness, following behind not one but two knocked-out-of-the-ballpark performances, the pressure was on but she soared. Eteri's reaction was very touching. I think it was pretty obvious who she wanted to see win. Anna fought hard and she deserved the win--I really do enjoy her skating more than the other two...there's a lightness and warmth she exudes that none of the other Russian girls have. I feel like most were looking at Kamila and Sasha and that Anna was a bit of an underdog despite being the defending champ. Very happy for her. Given the unbelievable competition in Russia, winning nationals 3 times in a row is an insane accomplishment!

Kamila: Lovely performance following behind Sasha's amazing display. I'm still not a huge fan of her overall skating but you can't deny how lovely she is on the ice. I'd love to see her bring more emotion and feeling to her skating. It's all still really cold and detached. Her elegance and line help to deflect from it but hopefully as she gets older she'll gain that depth in her performing. That will bring her to another level. Great to see her deliver her best and place 2nd.

Sasha: I couldn't tell she was injured. Both quad lutzes were amazing. She has such explosive power and strength in her jumps, it's incredible. Unfortunately, there still is a lot missing in the rest of her skating. She's trying but it's not there yet---not sure if it ever will be. It's not fair that she'll basically have to land 3-5 quads to beat Kamila or Anna but with her not having the best spins, skating skills, presentation, etc. there is a lot she's lagging behind on. When the other two have quads in addition to all of those other things it's easier to see why it's difficult for her to compete when everyone is clean. Very proud of her for skating cleanly in both programs though.

Congrats to Daria (great performances), feeling sorry for Liza, happy for Nugumanova. Naturally everyone was ridiculously over-scored (as is customary at domestic events) but the level of skating brought by the top 4 was excellent. Congrats to all of the medalists!
FWIW, I think Sasha’s presentation and basic skating has really improved and I found her far more interesting than Kamila. I also found it odd that Sasha’s jump GOE was lower than both Anna’s (by almost 5 points) and Kamila’s (by about 2 points).

Skatefan15

On the Ice
You don't win with having a good time and fixing 2A's.
Of course she won’t with people doing 3As and quads. Evgenia’s scores with Eteri the first time around wouldn’t win much right now, so I really don’t understand that argument. But fixing the 2A (and the take off on other jumps) does help Evgenia’s longevity in this sport. Now I’m not so sure since she’s back to the place where she was taught to jump with her upper body thus putting extra strain on the back, so we will see (whenever she does compete).

SXTN

Final Flight
Of course she won’t with people doing 3As and quads. Evgenia’s scores with Eteri the first time around wouldn’t win much right now, so I really don’t understand that argument. But fixing the 2A (and the take off on other jumps) does help Evgenia’s longevity in this sport. Now I’m not so sure since she’s back to the place where she was taught to jump with her upper body thus putting extra strain on the back, so we will see (whenever she does compete).
You are lost.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She doesn't like self pity, laziness and excuses.

She loves when skaters overcome themselves.
It's not laziness to withdraw in the wake of a serious illness or injury, it's taking care of your health and future.

I'm happy for Anna but man does this ever set a bad example. Expect to see many more Russian ladies competing no matter how badly injured or sick they are.

For Anna it worked out thankfully, but let's see how pleased you are when someone has a skate like Yulia L did here:

Was this a triumph of mind over body? Or a heart-rending display of a person pushing themselves over the edge.

Amei

Record Breaker
It's not laziness to withdraw in the wake of a serious illness or injury, it's taking care of your health and future.

I'm happy for Anna but man does this ever set a bad example. Expect to see many more Russian ladies competing no matter how badly injured or sick they are.

For Anna it worked out thankfully, but let's see how pleased you are when someone has a skate like Yulia L did here:

Was this a triumph of mind over body? Or a heart-rending display of a person pushing themselves over the edge.
It's not lazy to withdraw if its needed, but Shcherbakova knows her body both her parents and coaches asked her to withdraw but were willing to let her make the decision to skate or not, given her parents interview history they don't come off as willing to risk her health; given that I think her issues were more likely tied to a lack of program run throughs/stamina because she's been recovering not necessarily that's she still ill.