2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Makemi

Rinkside
Wow Andrew!!!😲 So this is why you've been MIA all this time! This is certainly not a move I would have ever expected but I think this is a great match! It also must have been REALLY recent... judging by Instagram he was still in Colorado in August.

I agree that Andrew is already so good in pretty every aspect of skating, so if anything all he needs is some technique tweaking. And who better to do that than Raf? I can't remember where I read this but I recall there was an interview where Raf talked about some of his coaching philosophy... namely that his goal is give his students confidence in their technique. If they have that confidence then the mentality and consistency will follow. I think we started seeing a bit of that after Alexa and Chris started working with him. I think that's exactly what Andrew needs right now. Not to take anything away from Christy Krall, but sometimes you just need that outside perspective. And how sweet that Michal and Nathan are already helping him. 🥰

Not gonna lie though, I'm going to miss the "rat pack" (these three plus Camden). Those four had a really nice competitive camaraderie that was heartwarming to see.

Also interesting tidbit about Illia. So it seems that Illia didn't actually switch to Raf and the work Raf did with him toward the end of last season was just a one-off, or perhaps the "consult" didn't work out? (I had wondered since Illia's ISP performances were all filmed in Reston, VA.)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh, fingers crossed that Torgashev gets the stability he needs with Aratyunyan’s coaching!
I agree. He has a ton of potential. Without seeing most of the Men, I have to say that Nathan still looks unbeatable inside the US. I've seen a bit Vincent as well. Haven't seen anything from Jason or Alexei though.

Last edited:

alexaa

Final Flight
I agree. He has a ton of potential. Without seeing most of the Men, I have to say that Nathan still looks unbeatable inside the US. I've seen a bit Vincent as well. Haven't anything from Jason or Alexei though.
Oh, here is an article about Vincent

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. He has a ton of potential. Without seeing most of the Men, I have to say that Nathan still looks unbeatable inside the US. I've seen a bit Vincent as well. Haven't anything from Jason or Alexei though.

The funny thing is, Andrew T. has acknowledged that Nathan will win, and all the other skaters are competing for the places after Nathan (in a Russian TV interview, so I was relying on translation). He knows it ;)

As for Jason, sadly the video links for Jason's two programs that he skated for the first ISP challenge appear to have disappeared. But here is the ending of "Sinnerman" SP from his Twitter, and it is 🔥

And Alexei is skating his Vampire LP again:cheer:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Looking forward to seeing Zhou’s programs at SkAm
It looks like things went well for Nathan and Vincent. Big Scores by both men followed by former US skater Keegan Messing. For some reason, I thought Jason was going to be here as I'm dying to see him. Great first day

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't look now ... but the overachiever Ilia Malinin just changed his Instagram account from @lutzboi to @quadg0d.

Oh, to be so young and fearless.

Congratulations on a very successful Grand Prix debut!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks like things went well for Nathan and Vincent. Big Scores by both men followed by former US skater Keegan Messing. For some reason, I thought Jason was going to be here as I'm dying to see him. Great first day

Jason is training in Canada and was scheduled for Skate Canada. After it was cancelled, he was offered Skate America but chose not to return to the US (and as much as I want to see him a wise decision, IMO).

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
So happy for Nathan and Vincent :points:

Everyone tried so hard, it was a great event in the middle of the whole situation, congratulations to all :clap:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just looked at the Skate Canada Schedule and Jason Brown is the lone US skater in the entire event. Is he the only US skater training in Canada?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just looked at the Skate Canada Schedule and Jason Brown is the lone US skater in the entire event. Is he the only US skater training in Canada?

sadly Skate Canada was cancelled, but yes, AFAIK, Jason is the only US man currently training in Canada.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't look now ... but the overachiever Ilia Malinin just changed his Instagram account from @lutzboi to @quadg0d.

Oh, to be so young and fearless.

Congratulations on a very successful Grand Prix debut!
Love the swagger.

Bravado only a teenager can rightfully possess.