2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's news that Nathan Chen has come very close to landing a fully rotated 4-axel in training practice. No video has been posted yet though.

With the international competition schedule so uncertain, a lot of skaters are working more on training and perfecting difficult elements.

Dogo

On the Ice
Nathan's 4A video clip is on reddit/figure skating with "potato" quality though. Watch it before it's taken down!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan's 4A video clip is on reddit/figure skating with "potato" quality though. Watch it before it's taken down!
I saw it, and you really can't tell anything about it. It's noteworthy because I believe in previous interviews that he'd stated that it wasn't something he was contemplating. But not much else.

All you can tell is that it was a fall. No idea how close to rotation it was, or whether this is something he's working on consistently.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I saw it, and you really can't tell anything about it. It's noteworthy because I believe in previous interviews that he'd stated that it wasn't something he was contemplating. But not much else.

All you can tell is that it was a fall. No idea how close to rotation it was, or whether this is something he's working on consistently.
Does Nathan need a Quad Axel? His content is so high already that I wonder about him getting injured before the Olympics.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Nathan need a Quad Axel? His content is high already that I wonder about him getting injured before the Olympics.
Personally, I don't think he does.

As you imply, the risk of injury exceeds the reward.

If I'm coaching Nathan, the plan is this... Work on the 4Loop. Plan an Olympic LP with 6 quads and a 3A. If anyone can beat that, they deserve the title.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well he still has a long way to catch up to his mother.

LOL I just looked up young quadg0d's Instagram.

Two recent practice clips include a 4T-3T-3T combo and a 3Z-3T-3Lp combo.

For certain, he has a long way to develop his skating, but there is something really endearing, in a Mark Twain kind of way, about him posting this type of content. You can imagine Tom Sawyer showing off for Becky Thatcher.

Tahuu

On the Ice
US men are ambitious. Good to know Illia names himself quadg0d and Vincent aims for Olympic gold. New article on Vincent:

"I want to get to the point where I can challenge for gold because I'm going for that Olympic medal," Zhou said. "I know if I relegate myself to being second all the time, that isn't a great mindset if I want a top spot. So, I want to really push myself to start challenging the title more."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
US men are ambitious. Good to know Illia names himself quadg0d and Vincent aims for Olympic gold. New article on Vincent:

"I want to get to the point where I can challenge for gold because I'm going for that Olympic medal," Zhou said. "I know if I relegate myself to being second all the time, that isn't a great mindset if I want a top spot. So, I want to really push myself to start challenging the title more."
I am always looking forward to whatever Zhou puts together next

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen is ambitious, no question, and successful... but a 4A? Really it’s not necessary..
“Why do you want to climb Everest?”
“Because it’s there!!”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I couldn't find the "Off Topic" thing but, this is off topic. What is Richard Dornbush up to these days. I believe he went to Medical School, right. Is he in his residency or is he a doctor now?

For fans of GS favorites Max Aaron and Richard Dornbush:

The "viewing party" for Virtual Aerial Challenge (on ice and off ice) for Senior, Collegiate, and Backflip will be streamed on YouTube tonight (Nov 6) at 7:00 pm CT.
(And it will be archived.)
Max and Richard will be among the judges (along with Kimmie Meissner, Frank Carroll, and Scott Hamilton [ETA: and Gale Tanger]).

The link for the stream:

(Note: The viewing party for "Elite International Athletes" is scheduled for Nov 20. "Senior" is a different category.)

I had enjoyed watching Max's judging in a previous viewing party video, and I look forward to seeing him again. (Plus Dornbush.)
The judges give feedback comments (as well as scores) to each entrant.​

Off topic: Dornbush did not go to medical school. And AFAIK, he never had an interest in doing so.

LOL I just looked up young quadg0d's Instagram. ...

Quad lutz video today from the @quadg0d formerly known as @lutzboi:

Last edited:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Nice 4Lz! Ilia could potentially get on the Olympic team with a 2 quad short and a 4 quad long program. USFS may want a promising youngster to get that first Olympic experience.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think, as competitive as he is, he's not going to let Yuzu get one and not have one, too.
True......Does Hanyu have a solid 4A? If so, then I can see why Nathan feels he needs one as well. These Worlds and Olympics are going to be very exciting.

sworddance21

On the Ice
True......Does Hanyu have a solid 4A? If so, then I can see why Nathan feels he needs one as well. These Worlds and Olympics are going to be very exciting.
Yes. Not sure how consistent it is, but it was his intention to include one at Worlds 2020.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The correct answer to this is "we don't know" - there are no videos and no competition attempts to verify.

I'm taking very much a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude to 4A claims - from both parties.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quad lutz video today from the @quadg0d formerly known as @lutzboi:

Today's content is a 3Z-Eu-3F. It looks completely effortless. Smooth as silk with an excellent ride out. He captions it "my average day,"

One of the very few nice things about the COVID restrictions as they apply to the GP series is that it provides an opportunity for lesser ranked skaters. Perhaps Ilya's fine showing at Skate America has given him confidence... although he likely had that already. I don't think this kind of teen swagger is a new development.