2020 NHK Trophy: Men's FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Men's FS

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Agree, Yuma's technically proficient (SS, jumps, spins etc.) but his PCS lead is unrealistically big. I wouldn't be complaining if not for that. The other guys kind of have themselves to blame, since this whole event was a bit of a splatfest/popcorn maker, but that ought to be reflected mainly in TES and not so much PCS.

I think the guys in general could do with better choreography. It's serviceable but kind of bland... Without Hanyu or Uno around, there is a distinct lack of charisma. I miss the Takahashi/Machida/Mura/Kozuka era. But props to Kazuki for audience projection!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Agree, Yuma's technically proficient (SS, jumps, spins etc.) but his PCS lead is unrealistically big. I wouldn't be complaining if not for that. The other guys kind of have themselves to blame, since this whole event was a bit of a splatfest/popcorn maker, but that ought to be reflected mainly in TES and not so much PCS.

I think the guys in general could do with better choreography. It's serviceable but kind of bland... Without Hanyu or Uno around, there is a distinct lack of charisma. I miss the Takahashi/Machida/Mura/Kozuka era. But props to Kazuki for audience projection!
I was particularly surprised by Sato, because I don’t remember him keeping his hands down and not changing his upper body position last year... but, well, this is just not the best year

xabia

On the Ice
Definitely! :points:

I really miss the days when we just had instrumental music and no vocals.

As I have always said, vocals distract too much from the skating.

CaroLiza_fan
Oh you have no idea how much I agree with your statement! How many times do I give up and just mute the music, especially when the singer is holding a long note and you have a skater wandering around with absolutely no regard to what's being sung. I rue the day that the ISU sanctioned the use of vocals. What used to be the norm for exhibition skates has now taken over big-time for competition. There are very few skaters that can rise to the challenge - Yuzu/Prince, Javi/Guys & Dolls being the exception. Mariah Bell's interpretation to Hallelujah last year was just magical, but compare that with the Abba mish-mash she's using this season - simply awful! Worse is when someone uses a well known piece of instrumental classical music but has to bastardize it with the addition of dreadful vocals (e.g. "Aranjuez"). Vocals are distracting, and non-sung vocals, i.e. speech, even worse. In fact it's the main reason that I might be put off watching figure skating - not just vocals, but inappropriate music in general. Keep it instrumental - it doesn't have to be classical - just get rid of the vocals!