2020 Skate America: Ladies' Recap | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Ladies' Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah Bell held on to her overnight lead to win her first Grand Prix gold in the Ladies’ event at 2020 Guaranteed Rate Skate America on Saturday in Las Vegas, Nev. Bradie Tennell finished second, while senior-newcomer Audrey Shin captured the bronze in her Grand Prix debut.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' performances? Which were your favorite long programs?

For me, Audrey Shin stole the show, especially in the long program. Karen Chen is still in the mix.

My favorite choreography was Bardie's kinky, angular short program. I hope there will be enough opportunity this season for her to develop it's potential, This poerformance seemed somewhat disjointed, like the parts did not fit together as smoothly as they they could.

Congratulations to Mariah. But she always leaves me wondering if she can sustain focus and concentration for an entire program. That one terrible fall almost undid everything else that she accomplished, which has happened to her quite a lot during her career. (She would have beaten Alysa Liu for the U.S. chamionship last year if not for one bad moment in the SP.)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Shin definitely stole the show! She was so cute and shy in the press conference although it was difficult sometimes to understand everyone 😷. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her in the future.

I like that Tennell is trying new things and I hope she grows into her new program.

It will definitely be interesting to see how things play out with the ladies at nationals if they are held.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Karen reminded everyone why she was national champion and 4th in the world in 2017. Her programs and her skating are gorgeous. With proper training and focus, she has her jumps more under control... if she keeps working, there’s no reason she can’t be at her 2017 level again. If she can do that, she could be National Champion again. Total package of artistry, skating skills, spins, and huge jumps.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought Karen was great and I'm not usually that much of a Karen Chen fan.

I think Mariah's ABBA medley was both too much ABBA (too many songs) and subsequently too little ABBA (not long enough with any one song). They could have cut "Thank you for the music".

I actually thought Bradie should have been closer to Mariah.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mariah was fun, for sure. I liked Tennell’s last years’ programs more.