2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh! Makes even more sense Now!!
I always found Nic entertaining. personable, likable and a character. I hope we see him somewhere skating. Has anyone seen how Gabby is training? I was thinking Alaine might have tried one more time for the olympics. Considering the current crop she had a chance. Any news on James and Radford. I heard they had some basic throws and stuff down but their lifts are too simple. IN part because James is bigger than Duhamel and both ladies were quite strong. I find the top pairs in Canada really need some kind of high impact program. None of them have distinctive style or famous big tricks ie throw, individual jumps, twist etc. They need something that distinguishes them.

theblade

On the Ice
General question: what is elite training like in Toronto, Windsor, and other Ontario skating facilities these days? How are the skaters dealing?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
General question: what is elite training like in Toronto, Windsor, and other Ontario skating facilities these days?
Elite training is pretty much the same it's been for the last part of last year and so far this year. Elites are able to train mostly away from others. It depends.

Weathergal

Medalist
Interesting. Could that be why they weren't at French Nationals this past season? I don't recall a reason given for their absence, but I could be wrong about that.

Wow that makes the Canadian ice dance field even more challenging: Gilles / Poirier, Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen, Soucisse / Firus, Lajoie / Lagha, Sales / Wamsteeker, Lanaghan / Razgulajev....plus some good up-and-coming juniors!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now all they have to do is be released from the French fed. Lots of luck with that!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Now all they have to do is be released from the French fed. Lots of luck with that!!
they released James who was actually a top pairs skater... I am not too sure Lauriault Le Gac, with their ranking is a big deal for the French Federation. New direction, perhaps releases are easier. Also, with the connection with IAM and France, I don't think it's going to be a big deal for them to get their release. Their main issue is to become relevant on an already crowded Canadian dance scene.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
From Marie-Jade’s post it sounds like they already have been.
I can confirm that in French, her post is quite clear and direct (i hadn't read her post but i had read the Jackie Wong tweet... )

Nous représenterons le Canada is clearly we WILL skate for Canada... and not nous voulons représrenter le Canada which would read more like we wish to represent Canada.... so it does indeed look like a done deal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A clip of Conrad's new free skate to "Warsaw Concerto".
i hate that piece of music..... so i went there with caution... but seeing my son with his long hair ;) and being so graceful on the ice, having so much flow, and seeing the beautiful work of Joey Russell on this piece... i am surprising myself : i loved it.... GO Conrad !!!!!!!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's already a separate post about Kaitlyn's news today, but Paul also has a magazine feature released today discussing being a gay man in figure skating:
[Being a gay athlete] hasn’t been something that I’ve really talked about very much, especially in a public setting. I’ve had this attitude that my private life is my private life and my life outside of skating is my life outside of skating. I haven’t necessarily allowed all of those things to bleed together. I think with the lead-up to the Olympic Games in the next year, I definitely see opportunities to share what we do and who we are to a much wider audience, and that opportunity is not lost on me.

This pride month is a really good opportunity to share a bit more about my story, how my sexuality has made me the person and the athlete that I am today, and also perhaps be a role model for so many young queer athletes who are growing up and not really sure how to navigate that as they go through the world of sport.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thank you @Colonel Green for sharing the article.
The level of insightfulness in this conversation presented by Paul really resounded with me. How Paul was able to present himself/his identity in the sport and at the same time, present broader perspective on the sport itself. Glad he feels comfortable in sharing his insights. Plus really, really liked his response upon FS inclusivity question - quite straightforward things some would say, but spoken out by an elite skater with experience they are noticeable.
Plus the whole sense emanating from the conversation of Paul going in his own pace, his own rhythm.