2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think it's awkward at all that James and Radford are going to France. The French do not have a top pairs team... and they will be happy to cheer for Vanessa with new partner (and flag)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I don't think it's awkward at all that James and Radford are going to France. The French do not have a top pairs team... and they will be happy to cheer for Vanessa with new partner (and flag)
Agree. I’m thinking that Vanessa/Eric will get a reception in France like the Duchesnays got at 1990 Worlds, in Canada! Home girl making good.
Forgive the obscure ice dance reference—but I’m sure some of you are like me, and still watch that YT video over and over :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agree. I’m thinking that Vanessa/Eric will get a reception in France like the Duchesnays got at 1990 Worlds, in Canada! Home girl making good.
Forgive the obscure ice dance reference—but I’m sure some of you are like me, and still watch that YT video over and over :)
there is nothing obscure about the Duschesnays with me. LOVED THEM SO MUCH :)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
there is nothing obscure about the Duschesnays with me. LOVED THEM SO MUCH :)
Me too. Firmly within my pantheon of the greatest dance teams of all time.

And yes, I know, he was a better skater than she was, their tech was not all that pristine, etc., etc. Who cares?

Anyone who might be too young to remember the Duchesnays, just watch this through to the end. You will thank me later!

Weathergal

Medalist

And yes, I know, he was a better skater than she was, their tech was not all that pristine, etc., etc. Who cares?

Anyone who might be too young to remember the Duchesnays, just watch this through to the end. You will thank me later!

I also don't think it will be awkward for Vanessa to go back to France. I'm sure she has many friends and fans there, and people will still cheer her on. And her partnership was already dissolved before she partnered with Eric.

That performance by the Duchesnays - I've watched it many times, too! It's unique, passionate, and features Christopher Dean choreography. What's not to love?

My best guess for the TBD spot at Skate Canada is Conrad Orzel. Joseph Phan would be my second guess.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
That performance by the Duchesnays - I've watched it many times, too! It's unique, passionate, and features Christopher Dean choreography. What's not to love?
Not to belabor the point, but...

There is the skate itself, which is beyond awesome. There is the full throated roar of the Canadian crowd throughout, making it hard to hear even during the skate.

And then, there are the closeups of the matronly, perfectly coiffed lady judges, sitting stone-faced as if to say, not on my watch are you going to win Worlds with something like that.

I remember watching it on TV as it happened. Unforgettable.

OK, back to the Grand Prix assignments! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For the TBD spot : it is hard to tell.. Conrad has all the quads... but in practice... Joseph added a second quad this year in competition... and has much better PCS potential... It will definitely be interesting to see which one comes on top. Besides them, is Toman still skating? Now that Nic is in pairs... apparently, it may help some other guys to shine.

Weathergal

Medalist
Not to belabor the point, but...

There is the skate itself, which is beyond awesome. There is the full throated roar of the Canadian crowd throughout, making it hard to hear even during the skate.

And then, there are the closeups of the matronly, perfectly coiffed lady judges, sitting stone-faced as if to say, not on my watch are you going to win Worlds with something like that.

I remember watching it on TV as it happened. Unforgettable.

OK, back to the Grand Prix assignments! :)
:laugh:
For the TBD spot : it is hard to tell.. Conrad has all the quads... but in practice... Joseph added a second quad this year in competition... and has much better PCS potential... It will definitely be interesting to see which one comes on top. Besides them, is Toman still skating? Now that Nic is in pairs... apparently, it may help some other guys to shine.
I keep going back and forth on them but I thought I'd "put myself on the spot" and pick just one so I picked Conrad. Just a hunch. But I like Joseph as well! The other possibility I thought of is Gogolev, but I don't know where he's at training/health wise right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't think it will be gogolev.... unless he really has stabilized... and shows up in some of the summer competitions...

i mean.. .with the photo i have... and as the "opener" of conrad's fan fest.. you would think i would give him all my trust... but i just feel that joseph is just about to get things fixed.... but if it's either one of them, i call them both my sons... so i won't have an issue :) as long as it stays in the family lol

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Any updates on Kaiya Ruiter? She seemed to be a much better jumper than any of the Canadian women that got GP. I understand she was never able to get the SB/PB she would have needed for a GP since the season was cancelled and she wasn’t age eligible for WC, but I was surprised they didn’t even give her the host pick.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Any updates on Kaiya Ruiter? She seemed to be a much better jumper than any of the Canadian women that got GP. I understand she was never able to get the SB/PB she would have needed for a GP since the season was cancelled and she wasn’t age eligible for WC, but I was surprised they didn’t even give her the host pick.
How old is she? I though she still had a year before she could qualify senior tournaments but I could be off. Some skaters also choose to stay Junior even if they can compete senior. I’m not sure when Junior assignments come out to see if she’s on those. I guess Canada wants to see her progress at Nationals before giving her any international senior assignments.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How old is she? I though she still had a year before she could qualify senior tournaments but I could be off. Some skaters also choose to stay Junior even if they can compete senior. I’m not sure when Junior assignments come out to see if she’s on those. I guess Canada wants to see her progress at Nationals before giving her any international senior assignments.
She's senior-eligible. She started competing junior in 2019.

I'd expect her to do a Challenger or two before nationals, because the fed likes her. We haven't had any recent news about her, though as she trains in Alberta she would have lost her training location for a while there in the winter.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Ice Palace FSC just posted that one of their junior dance teams (Chloe Nguyen & Alec Roueche) were selected for the NextGen team. So we should probably get the updated roster for the coming season soon.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

One of my favorite figure skating moments of all time, and in my hometown no less. While they rep. France, we all knew their story and how Canada gave them wings and supported them in the sport. Two countries were so proud of how far they came and their achievements. The D's would not achieved their success w/t both France and Canada being involved, in their skating careers.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
... and Corey says it's Madame Butterfly...
I was wondering based on the emoji in her post whether it was "Butterfly Lovers", since the Olympics are in Beijing, though I wasn't sure it'd be a good idea to draw a comparison to Karen Chen's program (which she's reusing).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was wondering based on the emoji in her post whether it was "Butterfly Lovers", since the Olympics are in Beijing, though I wasn't sure it'd be a good idea to draw a comparison to Karen Chen's program (which she's reusing).
then he would have put the butterfly and a heart :)

I am pretty sure it's Puccini... I can definitely imagine her skate to Un bel di,vedremo .... definitely appropriate for her lyrical style.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
then he would have put the butterfly and a heart :)
I know. I was referring to her initial post, prior to him commenting.

I’m glad that some non-western skaters are using Lance. He’s underused as a choreographer given the quality of his best work.

Last edited: